Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: An ASCII-based "Zombie Survival Squad"  (Read 82815 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An ASCII-based "Zombie Survival Squad"
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2013, 07:00:10 pm »

Great to see an update! Thanks! But are saves still compatible? And if so, how do I transfer the save? Do I just have to plop the save.sav file in the new file?

After playing the update, I would say that with the new view range, guns are OP. I can shoot anything, and it will die. Without touching me. I also prefer the tighter view distance, because it adds tension. It felt scary, and now it's nowhere near that.

This is great feedback. I'm leaving the view distance as it stands for now, but I'll be thinking about this and may play with it going forward.
What about flashlights? When on, they attract zombies, and their batteries run out. When off, your view distance is reduced to, lets say, 3 tiles. You could have flashlights with varying intensities, with more powerful ones giving larger view distances, but using more batteries, and attracting more zombies.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2013, 07:41:14 pm »

Maybe make it so that when you find survivors they start out with a random amount of wounds rather then being in perfect health?  :)

It would be nice if there was an option to sneak at a slower speed so you can sneak up on zeds and go for a stealth takedown.  Would need some mechanic to keep you from sneaking all the time though.

Your people should probably start drinking dirty water when you run out, but I haven't written anything to enable that.

That's a clever idea.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2013, 06:05:02 am »

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2013, 07:41:57 am »

Hey Fox, are you going to give this game a proper name or will it be nameless?
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
  • Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I got this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2013, 01:01:16 pm »

It feels like scavenging is broken. I get the same amount of stuff no matter how many people are doing it or their skill level. Also maybe increase weapon spawns a little, I went out 30 so times and only found combat knifes. Overall great game even if its a little to difficult right now. Also I think survivors should have weapons and armor on them when you find them instead of them having somehow survived using only their fists.
New Character awaits a epic black vs hood black vs straight up black fight!
http://www.youtube.com/user/jakeread1 <----- that there is my youtube channel!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2013, 02:03:27 pm »

How can I progress? All I can do is go out and scavenge over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over *stops for breath* and over and over and over and over and over. Is there a manual?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2013, 05:31:41 pm »

I think that the running name is Zombie Survival Squad.

How can I progress? All I can do is go out and scavenge over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over *stops for breath* and over and over and over and over and over. Is there a manual?
That's all there is right now. Its only been in development for 50 days. Give Fox some time.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2013, 03:31:16 am »

I hope he changes it, it just sounds weird to me since its basically the same thing as Liberal Crime Squad.

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2013, 01:07:27 pm »

I hope he changes it, it just sounds weird to me since its basically the same thing as Liberal Crime Squad.
[/quote]
There's only 1 word in common. You must hate games with "dragon" or "star" in the title.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2013, 01:40:39 pm »

There's only 1 word in common. You must hate games with "dragon" or "star" in the title.
[/quote]
Its not that, its just because hes working on games that are similar, run similar, and CODED similar. They just seem TO similar to me.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2013, 07:30:22 pm »

I've been playing some now. A few things I've noticed:

1. There's a lot of menu options which evidently aren't implemented yet. Similarly, there are some other survivors, but they don't do anything except say random stuff when you bump into them. The first would probably be best removed for now, and the second certainly would.
2. Water is really hard to get. I'm constantly raiding for water jugs and juice boxes when I have enough cans and MREs to last my group for well over a week. It sometimes seems that there are more boxes of MREs than bottles of water!
3. Gear is really really easy to get. My two-man, one-woman group (Short Round, the kid, died early on) is all equipped with a katana, a handgun, military armor from head to toe, and padded clothing, and I have a helmet, a wakizashi, six shotguns, seven combat knives, a spare handgun, nine crowbars, four extra katana, seven spare military body armors, eight kevlar vests, an army helmet, and five extra sets of padded clothes which aren't being used. This is around January 20th. They can take out any zombie in a blow or two and are almost unaffected by zombie attacks. In short, the game is now based on finding water and getting the first strike on zombie beasts and knifehands rather than actually surviving like one would in a zombie apocalypse.
4. Zombies gasp in pain, groan in agony, fall unconscious, glare at people, etc. This could just be a quirk of the type of zombie involved, but it still seems wrong.
5. Zombies can get up after headshots, it seems, and seem to go down too easily from body wounds. Again, could go along with the type of zombie.
6. Zombies never appear in proper hordes or even packs, just a zombie or two, maybe three, stumbling towards the group before getting cut down once they enter range.
7. Overall, the game is too easy once you get through the first few weeks. Even the Spectre of Thirst doesn't help--it just means you need to wander through a lot of complex before finding enough water. The only thing that can even injure you is a lucky strike from a Knifehands or something, which is usually only possible if you wait a moment too long when letting it approach.
8. The handguns look like potions. It irks me.

In short, it's a game in alpha and in need of work. Keep up the good work, though, and it has potential.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2013, 08:07:14 pm »

You are playing with an old version.  Survivors are now recruitable, zombies dont groan in agony, complexes are more dangerous, etc.  Also the menus aren't going to be removed, their going to be utilized.  This is a game in early development, don't expect stuff to be finished.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2013, 08:12:15 pm »

I'm currently working on lighting, so that you have long sight range outdoors or in other lit areas and very limited sight range indoors.

I've been playing some now. A few things I've noticed:

You are playing with an old version.  Survivors are now recruitable, zombies dont groan in agony, complexes are more dangerous, etc.  Also the menus aren't going to be removed, their going to be utilized.  This is a game in early development, don't expect stuff to be finished.

So, this is true. But it's also great feedback, and the older version thing is entirely my fault. I haven't updated the first post in a couple of releases. This is now corrected.

If you redownload, much of your feedback will be addressed. Two ones that aren't addressed are ! feeling wrong for guns, and wanting to see proper pack/horde zombie behavior.

The symbol for guns is easy to change, I'll think about it. I'm not sure what would be a better choice; I hesitate to just use ) or } as they'd appear in Nethack or Angband, since guns do not look like metal bows.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2013, 08:38:41 pm »

I like ! for guns myself.  Looks like a bullet coming out a barrel.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2013, 09:18:33 am »

You are playing with an old version.
So I've gathered, now having read through the thread. Sorry about the confusion; silly me thought the OP link was to the most recent version.

Also the menus aren't going to be removed, their going to be utilized.  This is a game in early development, don't expect stuff to be finished.
I don't; I'm just expressing my opinion about if unutilized menus should be visible.

Anyways...for handguns, how about an r or something? Looks like a pistol to me.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13