Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: An ASCII-based "Zombie Survival Squad"  (Read 82485 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: An ASCII-based "Zombie Survival Squad"
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2013, 09:42:48 am »

You are playing with an old version.
So I've gathered, now having read through the thread. Sorry about the confusion; silly me thought the OP link was to the most recent version.

Also the menus aren't going to be removed, their going to be utilized.  This is a game in early development, don't expect stuff to be finished.
I don't; I'm just expressing my opinion about if unutilized menus should be visible.

Anyways...for handguns, how about an r or something? Looks like a pistol to me.
Maybe p or P for shotguns?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2013, 01:21:12 pm »

I'm currently working on lighting, so that you have long sight range outdoors or in other lit areas and very limited sight range indoors.
This sounds like a great and easy solution. I cant wait to see it implemented.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2013, 05:19:46 pm »

I'd say a j or (in some fonts) l looks more like a shotgun.

Anyways, I've played the new version some. Still noticing a notable lack of water as opposed to, say, clips of ammunition.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2013, 06:19:14 pm »

I'd say a j or (in some fonts) l looks more like a shotgun.

Those seem like good gun representations.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2013, 08:52:31 am »

I've finally "beaten the game " (I've got 2 months of supplies, more ammo than I can use and my five survivors all have 4+ in skills and katanas and can clear up complexes with getting even a minor injury), and frankly it's already great.

Now, a thing you should fix is the zombie's pathfinding. Right now, they seem not to take other zombies into account when computing their path, which mean they all line up nicely and you can kill them one by one. It makes hordes of zombies much less scary. Since this is going to make the game even harder, I'd suggest you also fix the wound system. Right now, limbless zombies can run as fast as you and claw you to death. Likewise, armless survivors can still wield a katana and a wazichaki. Fixing this will make it easier to flee hurt zombies.

Oh, and add a button to kill/leave behind a survivor. Don't want the whole squad to die because legless Jane is holding them behind.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2013, 07:34:18 pm »

Similarly, perhaps add some kind of way to kick out other survivors--both to conserve supplies and for social reasons.

Kicked-out members of the group would not be happy with you if you encountered them later.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2013, 09:15:33 pm »

Oh, and add a button to kill/leave behind a survivor. Don't want the whole squad to die because legless Jane is holding them behind.
Similarly, perhaps add some kind of way to kick out other survivors--both to conserve supplies and for social reasons.

Kicked-out members of the group would not be happy with you if you encountered them later.
I just send my extras out naked and unarmed. If they can feed everybody for a day, I let them live. I felt like a terrible person when I saw my first Z. They died 3 turns later.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2013, 04:53:27 am »

Lighting is finished, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I also fixed the pathfinding per Sheb's suggestion. I had disabled them paying attention to other creatures when pathing due to a bug that came up when that happened, but I was able to find and squash said bug this time, so enemies will now swarm you somewhat intelligently.

I tried out the suggestions for using letters for pistols and shotguns, but it's no good. The eye too readily recognizes them as letters. Letters in roguelikes are usually reserved for the first letter of the name of the object or type of object: r for rats, j for jellies, that sort of thing. Going against that causes as much or more confusion and consternation as reassigning the traditional symbol for potions does.

I'll probably throw in rationing and maybe scouting, then make a release late Friday. Rationing is the ability to change your rate of consumption on food and water; it may come with a rewrite of how food and water affect health, and possibly drinking dirty water, but I don't want to overpromise. Scouting is a job used to identify specific one-shot locations likely to have a certain type of loot. Scouting's a pretty big task, but it's a significant step forward.

On a tangent, my computer is having significant stability problems, crashing several times per day. I know at least half and possibly all of the problems are some sort of failures with my 4-year-old video card, so I've ordered a new one, but it won't be here for another week or two. I'm pretty good about saving often, so I haven't lost work to this, and hopefully won't. But it disrupts my workflow, frustrates me, slows me down, and there's always the chance of progress being set back by unsaved work being crashed into oblivion.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2013, 05:00:12 am »

You could go with Cataclysm's letter assignments, ( for guns, = for ammo and / or = for melee weapons, dependent on how large the item is. I can't see ! as anything but potions, first aid kits and chems now.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:25:37 am by The Darkling Wolf »
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2013, 05:32:07 am »

Ahah, great.

Here is my own crappy contribution: Sheb Badly Made Bundle of Maps (BM²)

Just replace the current map folder by this one in the ZSS folder. It contains the two standard map, as well as a supermarket, a gas station and an appartment building (well, the first floor).

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2013, 07:41:49 am »

It didnt sound that hard from what you guys were describing, but I found it immensely hard. I had to continually dart in and out and hope a zombie didn't get close enough to scratch.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2013, 08:53:04 am »

Early game is quite difficult. I lost 3 or 4 times before "beating" the game. I'd suggest starting by scavenging for a week or so, to build up food and water supply. Then go hunting for more weapons. Flee any special zombies, or any concentration of zombies. Don't use firearms in the beginning, as the blast bring a rush of zombies.

Retreat when you're wounded, and wait for healing. In the first couple month, keep your survivors on scavenging duty while they heal, so as to keep your food and water reserves.

As soon as you think you can support extra survivors, recruit them. Extra hands mean extra attack in combat. My current squad is 6 strong, and can one-shot any zombie. Even Knifehands aren't really scary anymore.

Use doorways to avoid being rushed.

Also, be careful with your pathing. If a zed is one tile away, moving toward him will let him get an attack on you. If you move sideway, he'll use his turn moving close to him and you can attack first, hopefully kinnig him in the process.

Edit: Also; here is the second version of Sheb's Badly Made Bundle of Maps! It includes several corrections to my previous maps, as well as 3 new maps: a fllout shelter, a church and a sewer map (Don't ask me what your survivors are hoping to find there).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:49:27 am by Sheb »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2013, 10:59:52 am »

I died over a dozen times before I could get rolling on the new version. Lots of fun.

Would it be possible to get an option to start a new game? I always had to exit and restart the program when I died.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2013, 11:40:46 am »

This is super cool, please continue working on it!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2013, 01:21:59 pm »

I've noticed that scavenging grows less and less worthwile the more you scavenge. Is this intentional, or does the skill have anything to do with it? What I first thought was that maybe the algorithm was accidently reversed, so the higher the skill the lower the salvage. Thoughts?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13