Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: An ASCII-based "Zombie Survival Squad"  (Read 81465 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
An ASCII-based "Zombie Survival Squad"
« on: January 26, 2013, 05:26:33 pm »

As some of the people who have been around for a couple years might remember, I was working on a big fancy zombie game with graphics and stuff, initially based on Liberal Crime Squad and called "Zombie Survival Squad" but eventually drifting from it and having an identity crisis. I stopped work on that to make something supposedly shorter term that could actually make money, but that short term project turned into a big project, and long story short, it's been a long time since I've worked on the zombie game.

Two weeks ago I gave myself two weeks to whip up a prototype of what a proper Zombie Survival Squad, closely based on Liberal Crime Squad, would look like. Since those two weeks have elapsed, it's time to share the result of that work.

The game is EXTREMELY INCOMPLETE, but I've built a version that should (untested) work on Windows.

Windows download link:
http://www.jonathansfox.com/ZSS/zss_python_3_3_2013.zip

(How to use: unzip somewhere, double click zss.exe)

I haven't provided support for Linux or OS X in this download, but it's very possible for the future. The game is written in Python 3 using the Libtcod library (which in turn uses SDL). This things are all well-supported on Linux and OS X.

Question:

Is this something I should continue to pursue? Do you want to see this game made?

Development goes much faster than the graphical version I was working on before; in a couple weeks I've gotten about as far as months of development on that version took me. My biggest stumbling block is that I don't have a good idea of how I can make anything resembling a living making this game; even though there's a significant audience for this type of game, most ASCII games are free and open source.

Still, I've been really enjoying the development process so far, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and impressions.

Note: This engine can support graphics. Both tile graphics in place of text, and just straight up shoving full color images onto the screen.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:41:12 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An ASCII-based "Zombie Survival Squad"
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 08:00:22 pm »

Zombie game like LCS? I'll take a look after work... definitely want to watch development on this!

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 01:53:32 am »

YES. OH GOD YES. OF COURSE I WANT THIS.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 05:05:16 am »

After trying it for a few minutes, the main things seem to be that I can't equip anybody with things and that I can't leave the "out on a raid" screen.

And yes, I think you should keep doing this. Being able to punch a zombie's head off is too funny to lose.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:52:22 am »

Oh my.

Yes! Do it! C'mon, do it! Go! Go! Go! Go!

I also like the part about it theoretically being able to support graphics.

So, can you just not select menu options other than "move out" yet?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:03:05 am by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 12:32:26 pm »

I haven't even tried it yet and I still think it's a good idea.  Graphics don't make the game--player options and the ability to build up do, IMO, and your work generally handles those pretty well.

Will get it transferred and take a shot later today.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 04:32:52 pm »

Meh, I think you should put LCS as your #1 priority.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 06:32:35 pm »

Implemented the equipment screen, updated the download.

You have two weapon slots -- sidearm and large weapon. You can use either, both, or none. If you have items in both slots, your character will swap between them automatically in combat, based on whatever will get the best results.

Also fixed an issue with the base screen UI that made it so if you pressed enter on the top-level menu, it sent you directly into combat. Also a crash that would happen if you removed everyone from your raiding party and then tried to go forth.

Some hotkeys while in combat:

F or Zero: Attack nearest enemies. Useful when you have guns, to attack at range.
I as in inventory: Go to equipment screen, manage your gear.
Period or G: Grab one of the items the party is standing on.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:21:05 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 06:43:43 pm »

posting to watch because this is fucking awesome.
Nom nom nom

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 07:28:47 pm »

Is there a way to leave the mysterious complex where you go on the raids yet?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 07:39:44 pm »

Not yet -- you're trapped there forever. Or at least until you close the program.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 07:41:57 pm »

Not yet -- you're trapped there forever. Or at least until you close the program.

I'd make changing that a priority ;D

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 09:04:47 pm »

I'd make changing that a priority ;D

Indeeeed. Otherwise, I'm liking this.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 10:44:33 pm »

Hey, great, tbh this was more what I was hoping for than the other game you where making, random char stats please, making do with what you get is always fun.

In terms of making some $, is throwing up a kickstarter for a couple of grand an option?  its not a living, but it could keep the wolves from the door for a little while.  You could also talk to darkling wolf who is pretty much main dev of cataclysm these days, polite words could probably get you access to the new cataclysm and the sorts of people who would be interested in this game, if only to help build a player base.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 11:45:03 pm »

I haven't even tried it yet and I still think it's a good idea.  Graphics don't make the game--player options and the ability to build up do, IMO, and your work generally handles those pretty well.

Will get it transferred and take a shot later today.
Shot taken.  Missing a DLL (MVCB100,  IIRC).  Game fails to run.  <shrug>  Would appreciate a fixed Metal Detector & LCS build, but whatever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13