Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: An ASCII-based "Zombie Survival Squad"  (Read 81485 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: An ASCII-based "Zombie Survival Squad"
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2013, 02:33:47 pm »

No, it's a feature to represent your scavenger depleting "sure" sources of food and water and forcing you to get your squad out.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2013, 06:20:46 pm »

Just wanted to pop in to say I would definitely love to see another roguelike like this. Kind of like Cataclysm, but without the sci-fi and in strategy mode.

skibble

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2013, 11:10:43 pm »

Another way to solve the zombie pathing would be to allow the zeds to stack. After all you can have up to 6 humans on a square why not allow a level playing field.

One other thing that i think would be interesting is have the survivors you find be targetable by zombies once you have seen them. make it a race to save them.

- bugs
When have to many (more then 14)  survivors you cannot alter their jobs or 'in squad' status due to being unable to scroll the list. (You can workaround it with the sort list)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2013, 06:23:03 am »

I have a first draft of rationing in, but I'm not entirely happy with the interface screen or the effects, and there's still some remaining rough areas I want to get ironed out before making a release.

For some cooler news, I may not have mentioned that I added some rudimentary stealth effects earlier: Lone characters are much sneakier than groups. No skill rolls at the moment, but it's still a neat effect, and one that I think I like better than a stealth mode toggle.

One of my goals is to minimize the number of buttons and keys on the exploration screen, and drill your input down to interesting decisions rather than bookkeeping. A stealth toggle would need a drawback to be interesting, and the drawback needs to be finessed well or you're likely to want to always activate it out of combat and deactivate it in combat, reducing it to bookkeeping. Passive stealth avoids that potential problem.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2013, 09:29:47 pm »

I think that it sounds like good reasoning to keep everything as streamlined as possible, but how much of the stealth effect is going to be clear to the player and how much is going to be firmly under the wrapper?

In any case, looking forward to any developments that come about.

totally not a blatant bump
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Idoknow909

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2013, 01:33:15 am »

Seems like a super fun game to play :).

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2013, 02:45:14 pm »

Posting to watch.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2013, 11:34:16 am »

Seems like a super fun game to play :).

I agree with this bump. How goes work on it Fox?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2013, 08:59:34 pm »

I see your bumps and raise you a screenshot. Haven't you heard? Real is brown.

The revised layout isn't really done, but you can see where it stands now. I wanted to make the map more centralized and somewhat bigger, so I looked to other games than just Oubliette. Specifically, the later Wizardry games. I don't like the block of text for showing equipment, but I do like the layout much more, and I also like the fact that it's got a bit of space for... controls or something.

You can also see from this picture that I've been experimenting with graphics for the game: custom separators, walls, and floor textures. I made icons for the creatures too, but they all kinda looked the same, so I threw them out. It's really important that the game be easy to visually understand, and while letters may not be friendly to newer players, at least they're easy to tell apart.

The long delay in updates wasn't just due to spending some time on LCS; the reality is that I'm going to have to do some combination of raising money to finance the game's development or selling the game. I spent about a week moping around depressed about whether I'll be able to actually finish the game, and then I stopped being an idiot and put some effort into making the game attractive enough to sell. So that leads to this particular side project of sprucing things up a bit.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:16:52 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2013, 09:08:22 pm »

I like the tiles and the new interface. I'd probably drop some money on this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2013, 09:49:16 pm »

Nice to see harsh gritty realism colours.

Hey Fox, could you do a donor perk where if you contribute early you can get your full name in the game?  So there would be a chance that a random first and last name would be picked and a chance that it would pick the full name of a donor?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2013, 07:56:20 am »

Shameless bumps are fun!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2013, 03:10:59 pm »

I like it! It looks much more sleek and less like a demo. Anything exciting news feature wise?

Also, I would totally donate for this game.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2013, 03:17:43 pm »

wait, you can sell this? thats allowed?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2013, 03:28:40 pm »

Well, it is his own code, I think. Also, you could probably call it a parody, too. I don't think it too much of an issue.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13