Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: An ASCII-based "Zombie Survival Squad"  (Read 81466 times)

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
Re: An ASCII-based "Zombie Survival Squad"
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2014, 05:18:44 am »

Please add the song "Re: Your Brains" by Jonathan Coulton to this game (you can play it as Ogg Vorbis using SDL2 and SDL2_mixer). It is freely available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported license, as explained in the FAQ on his site here. In fact ALL of his songs except for "Still Alive" and "Want You Gone" (which are copyright by Valve Software and not available for free) and "Wikipedia Chanukah" (available for free under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license instead), are available for free under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported license, and paying him money for them, the $1 for each song suggested on his website, is entirely optional.

I hereby give you, Jonathan S. Fox, legal permission to use all the code I have written for music playback, as well as all my other code contributions to Liberal Crime Squad (past, present, and future), in your Zombie Survival Squad game, if you want to use them.

Anyway the song "Re: Your Brains" is awesome and also free. There are a number of different music videos of it on YouTube. Like this one: "Re: Your Brains" by Jonathan Coulton - Moontalk Productions [HD]. Or this one: Re Your Brains (Dragon*ConTV 2007). Or this one: re: Your Brains by Jonathan Coulton - NahtonStudios. EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH THOSE VIDEOS BECAUSE THEY ARE AWESOME.

There might also be some other free-as-in-freedom songs you can legally use about zombies, although to be honest I haven't found any yet... plenty of songs about zombies I can download torrents of or get off YouTube or download as MP3s off various sites but the others are technically copyrighted without any sort of, ya know, way to use them legally. And in a software project like a game, things have to, ya know, be legal. So that's the only zombie song I can find for ya right now that's legal to use in yer little game.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:23:14 am by Liberal Elitist »
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2014, 11:09:11 am »

* IronTomato drools

Yes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2014, 11:17:57 am »

I wanna ptw.

Got murdered
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Deathswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 22, 2014, 07:02:44 pm »

Is it possible to read books or is it just my game?

Deathswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2014, 07:16:47 pm »

Also, what about farming?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2014, 07:52:49 pm »

And the prize for "unnecessary doublepost of the year" goes to...
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 24, 2014, 09:25:17 am »

Also, what about farming?
Real farming is horrible. Crops take 4-6 months to grow (that's 120-180 days/turns). You have to spend large amounts of labor on it (hard to say how much, not knowing the specifics of tools, weather, land quality and fertilizer availability, but probably 2-3 orders of magnitude more than scavenging for canned food, even after supermarkets (grocery shops/produce warehouse/other high food concentration places) are already looted and you have to look piecemeal in houses) In fact hunting would probably be a better option (unless you're stuck in Central Park)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 24, 2014, 09:46:59 am »

Thats if you dont have the crops that grow in 60 days, or those (like taters) that are (for the most part) plant and forget, or feel like cocking around with fertilizer.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 24, 2014, 10:00:55 am »

60 day crops are stuff like tomatoes, peas and beets. They have relatively small yield/labor compared to wheat and potatoes (but they can be a great source of vitamins and minerals). Potatoes are not "plant and forget", you need to weed them regularly, and there is a somewhat finicky early phase where you want to grow them slowly, without exposing to light or using too much source potato.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 24, 2014, 11:31:19 am »

(for the most part) plant and forget
Potatoes dont need asmuch labor as comparable crops after planting and until harvest, which is why it was popular for people who worked on farms in, say, Ireland to grow potatoes for themselves while they worked on a larger farm growing something more labor intensive.
Highly Opinionated Fool

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2014, 11:40:28 am »

Well, you know, I never cropped a share in my life (actually, I killed a cactus, so I'm the opposite of a good farmer.) There's still the fact that it takes dozens of days. This just isn't fun, compared to gathering supplies in zombie infested buildings, IMHO.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2014, 12:12:13 pm »

Theres fun and then there is alive, but good point.
Highly Opinionated Fool

newbonomicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2014, 03:58:44 pm »

This game is incredibly difficult. I basically can't do anything but die. Kudos for that!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]