Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist Plays: My Dwarf Fortress web show  (Read 1776 times)

UristPlays

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Urist Plays YT Channel
Urist Plays: My Dwarf Fortress web show
« on: January 28, 2013, 12:00:40 am »

https://www.youtube.com/user/UristPlays

I've been playing on and off for a year or so now I think, but recently I got the idea in my head to start a youtube show for playing Dwarf Fortress, in the style of a Let's Play. I quickly realized that idea was rubbish, and that the game isn't very conducive to non-tutorial commentary, unless I was just a naturally entertaining person to listen to. Which I'm not in the slightest. So I thought it might be cool to do little short chapters of videos, where the paused bits and menus are edited out, the video is sped up, and there's some super chill music to go with it. Some friends thought this was an idea of dubious quality, but I think it's awesome. I've got two videos up so far, a third should be coming before Wednesday the 30th. Trying to keep to a decent schedule on this.

I have plans for other formats of videos, don't want to spoil too much yet, but I'd like to know what the community thinks of these.

Medkit The Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • Good gal Med
    • View Profile
Re: Urist Plays: My Dwarf Fortress web show
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 11:55:38 am »

Personally, I enjoy this type of video very much. It is just so relaxing and strangely entrancing. Love the choice of music and the pattern design of your mining, have never thought of mining like that before.
I would also like to make some suggestions. Like for example, when combat starts you could slow the video down a bit and put on some intense music. Also I would like to suggest to play without the command bar. I think that will make the viewing experience much better.
Looking forward for more videos! :)
My marksdwarf shot my armoursmith in the leg while practising, after he recovered the dwarf was possesed and made an artifiact....

"Leghurt the copper leggings" it was called.

"On this item is the image of a dwarf and a dwarf in copper. The dwarf is shooting the dwarf."

UristPlays

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Urist Plays YT Channel
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 01:59:58 am »

I'd have to get used to collapsing the bar before unpausing, since I edit out all pauses and menus, but that's a great idea and I'll try it. And my mining pattern is somewhat inefficient, but I love it all the same in that it keeps my miners busy and gets them legendary fast. Glad you're liking the videos, all the feedback I've gotten so far has been at least partially positive. Not to spam or anything, but you might want to check out our facebook page (http://on.fb.me/WmtAP1) for updates and the like.

Uploading chapter 3 at the moment.

UristPlays

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Urist Plays YT Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 03:30:46 am »

Interesting development!

In my wondrous fortress of Lobsterbaked, I was playing around, thinking of simple cool stuff to do, and I built a stone wall across a frozen pond, not extending beyond the pond. I built a floor atop of it, and had the staircase leading up to said floor destroyed. My plan was that when the ice thawed, or maybe before then simply from the weight of the wall, it would fall into the pond and the floor atop the wall could be a bridge across. But come thawing, no bridge falling. So, in my perplexment, I have the end tips of the wall destroyed. Lo and behold, there was ice beneath it. I strongly suspect someone much more experienced than me has already discovered this phenomena, but I was curious if it's a bug, a feature, and/or something unknown that I discovered.

The phenomena can be observed about 4 and a half minutes into my Chapter 3 of Lobsterbaked video.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:47:39 am »

Interesting development!

In my wondrous fortress of Lobsterbaked, I was playing around, thinking of simple cool stuff to do, and I built a stone wall across a frozen pond, not extending beyond the pond. I built a floor atop of it, and had the staircase leading up to said floor destroyed. My plan was that when the ice thawed, or maybe before then simply from the weight of the wall, it would fall into the pond and the floor atop the wall could be a bridge across. But come thawing, no bridge falling. So, in my perplexment, I have the end tips of the wall destroyed. Lo and behold, there was ice beneath it. I strongly suspect someone much more experienced than me has already discovered this phenomena, but I was curious if it's a bug, a feature, and/or something unknown that I discovered.

The phenomena can be observed about 4 and a half minutes into my Chapter 3 of Lobsterbaked video.

I think this is because when a construction is removed the appropriate type of ground is spawned: people made sand that way before I seem to recall. Also cool video
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

UristPlays

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Urist Plays YT Channel
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 01:14:45 pm »

Some folks on reddit are saying it's because the wall gives the ice cover, making it to be considered underground, and stuff underground doesn't change temperature unless there's magma nearby or other strange circumstances.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 03:33:07 pm »

I like it. How much time has passed in the fort? Do you have invaders turned on, and will you be slowing down the recording during sieges/ambushes/other tense occurrences?

UristPlays

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Urist Plays YT Channel
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 08:41:11 pm »

I forget how far it was in Chapter 3, but I'm currently well into my second year. I played today, the results of which will become chapters 4 and 5, possibly 6. Invaders should be on, and for this series at least it'll all be fast. If there's an epic battle that wrecks all my dwarves I'll probably slow it down though. Lobsterbaked is a pretty chill place. I have multiple series planned out, as well as different formats, but I don't want to spoil anything.

In the upcoming next chapters, some tidbits to look forward to: the construction of the fort's first artifact, the theft of said artifact, and numerous attempts by thieves and snatchers that are pretty hit and miss in their attempts. The cool headed dwarves of Lobsterbaked don't fear the goblin and kobold shenanigans quite yet though, as their crossbows have proved pretty reliable.

I also plan on writing up full stories of my forts after they fall.

UristPlays

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Urist Plays YT Channel
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 09:52:53 pm »

Chapter 4 is up, now in HD. In chapter 4, the dwarves begin construction on the soon to be magnificent Castle Lobsterbaked, and I get my first strange mood when the shearer is possessed. LB's military currently consists only of a squad of two marksdwarves in a fort of 53 beards, but as the castle grows so will the fort's defenses.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 10:24:19 pm »

Great work. I've been waiting for this. A suggestion I have is to put synopses of, briefly, what happened during a given chapter in that video's description, or at the end of the video. It's kind of hard to tell what's going on in some cases. All I can see is the general architecture and layout of the fort, but a lot of what makes DF great is in the dwarves' personalities and interactions that don't necessarily pertain to the fortress itself, and that is lost in this format of video.

UristPlays

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Urist Plays YT Channel
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 12:08:44 am »

I've been thinking I might start a blog or something to record such things, that I could link to in the description and on the facebook page. I suppose I could do the long posts on fb, but it doesn't seem like the right format for the content, nor does the description. Don't know though, I might just stick with this, at least for this series. I do have plans for other formats of videos, so who knows.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 12:10:31 am »

You could record them in a forum post.

UristPlays

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Urist Plays YT Channel
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 12:26:18 am »

Well definitely, I planned on it. Not everyone who watches the videos are on these boards though. But yeah, there'll definitely be stories being told. At the moment, I have multiple projects I'm working on and editing this takes up a lot of time, so until things clear up a bit it'll mostly just be the videos.