Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "Deity" in a human fortress  (Read 3367 times)

Joemit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Deity" in a human fortress
« on: January 28, 2013, 12:01:41 am »

Hi guys, I'm new here. Anyway I was walking around in a pocket world I made when I came across a fortress. I went inside looking for some loot and soldiers for hire. The fortress had books randomly strewn around the entire fortress. Lots of books.
Say 50 or more. These are just four of them.

But that's not the strangest thing. This is:

It appeared to be a Physical God until I did this:

It's an opossum demon. I've heard of demons ruling civs if they're twisted into human form. But this one has a tail and is pretending to be a god! It even acts like one as well as not ruling the civ, just standing around in a fortress, saying it's a law-giver.

So anyone have an idea how this works and why there are books everywhere?
Here at dwarven !!SCIENCE!!s we reanimate the whole corpse! That's 60% more corpse per corpse!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: "Deity" in a human fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 12:40:36 am »

The opossum-thing is a demon. (some) demons write books. Sometimes, a demon will tell some humans that it's a god, and the humans will worship it and let it rule them. You should kill it.1
And where I'm from, normal possums are considered vermin. So you should definitely kill it.1
1I am not responsible for any demon-related maulings, maimings, or any injuries that are a direct result of attack said demon. I am also not responsible for any dagger-related brain damage, or wars with the hive mind, that may occur as a result of attacking someone inside an entity.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Joemit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 12:49:28 am »

Possums are vermin here too. But I attacked it and it turned the civ against me. Including my followers. But who needs to be allied with humans, anyway?
I'm going to check up on it in legends.
Here at dwarven !!SCIENCE!!s we reanimate the whole corpse! That's 60% more corpse per corpse!

Joemit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:31:31 am »

Just checked it out in legends. It turns out that the deity is real but the creature I found in the fortress is Sath the Fatal Death, an opossum demon who is just impersonating him. However the demon is also the lord of Tellhail, the fortress in which it lives. So isn't it kind of strange that humans are worshipping him as a god yet also he is a lord? And to top things off he managed to get his position by force of argument!
And why has no one noticed even though of the 300 or so books he's written 50 are about Sath the Fatal Death?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 06:36:18 am »

At world generation some demons escape and make themselves leaders of civs, pretending to be gods. In human civs they seem to be pretty peaceful. While if they rule goblins they apparently are pretty violent and got to thier position by force.

Like all demons they are fearsome in combat. Having high combat skills and they are much quicker and stronger than the playable races.

There is no point in killing them at the moment. Unless you really want to of course.

Sometimes when you play fort mode they can arrive as a diplomat, which is rather good since they are unlikely to get killed as easily by goblins attacking. Not as good if you like to kill thier diplomats I guess...
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 08:39:45 am »

And why has no one noticed even though of the 300 or so books he's written 50 are about Sath the Fatal Death?
Because humans don't have natural skill in Reader, and no-one in DF can learn how to read.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dozus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 02:03:40 pm »

I frequently question the intelligence of human civs.

Human fish cleaner: "Gee, isn't it great that Sitsu, our god of the sun, has become our law-giver?"
Human tanner: "Yeah... It's weird, though. I never thought our sun god would look like a giant squirrel."
Human fish cleaner: "That *is* weird. And he keeps writing all these books, like 'My Life is the Law-Giver' and 'The Squirrel Demon: Truth?'. What's up with that?"
Human tanner: "Who can know the will of our lord and screaming poison squirrel Sitsu?"
Human fish cleaner: "Wait, did that guy kill our squirrel law-giver? Avenge him! Avenge him with our tiny knives!"

Joemit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 02:43:20 pm »

So that's why the humans have a demon being worshipped as a god, who is a law-giver and a lord.

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 02:51:40 pm »

If it's an oppossum deity, then there's only one thing to do.
Get a minecart and run it over.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 03:12:57 pm »

Besides... (Real)Gods tend to be horrible jerks and curse folks with vampirism. unless you think there aren't any real gods and those are really daemon.

Fun fact: no one not even the folks writing the books have a natural skill in reading.
So if you are born with the rare skill to reach chicken scratch you might learn a spell or two.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 03:36:37 pm »

Which is more evil, I ask you: The absentee "gods" who unleash necromancy and abomination unto the world, or the living "demon" who leads his civilization to victory in battle against all enemies, ushering forth a golden age of peace and knowledge?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 04:07:51 pm »

Which is more evil, I ask you: The absentee "gods" who unleash necromancy and abomination unto the world, or the living "demon" who leads his civilization to victory in battle against all enemies, ushering forth a golden age of peace and knowledge?
uhh Man, for abusing the knowledge given to them, then fearing anything they don't know.
Necromancers are really friendly(technically just that you end up with hostile zombies minions that hate life) and vampires are mostly really really old folks with knives, or bandit old folks.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Joemit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 04:37:47 pm »

Well I'll try killing him, except he has boiling clouds of toxin or something.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 02:06:21 am »

Well I'll try killing him, except he has boiling clouds of toxin or something.
In that case, assemble an army of followers from a different civilisation. Attack him, and wait for either:
a) your followers to kill him
b) he kills your followers

In the case of (b), run away and try to Sneak out of town.

Joemit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 03:38:45 am »

I don't think there are any other civs.
Pages: [1] 2 3