Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stopping Land Creatures from Spawning  (Read 648 times)

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stopping Land Creatures from Spawning
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:05:52 pm »

Back in older versions, Salpherite conquered the seas. Breeding Sea Serpents. Harpooning whales. He got more sea creatures to spawn by surrounding the land map edge with statues. Now, that doesn't work in the current versions. I'm trying to attempt something similar. Should I just brutally slaughter land creatures as soon as they spawn? Other ideas?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Stopping Land Creatures from Spawning
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 11:31:19 pm »

Bridges. You can raise them at the edge. I thought that's what sphalerite did, too.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 12:10:02 am »

Hmmm......... I have been looking for a consistent way to force siegers and merchants to spawn at predictable locations. (Perhaps even block migrant flow!)

Can you really raise a bridge, such that it blocks all edges of the map? I would think that there will always be 1 tile in each corner that can't be blocked this way, because the bridges would have to overlap to completely close the map edge.  Can they be blocked with a statue?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:43:10 am »

There aren't any problems with bridge assuming you are using 1xY sized bridges. Just do this:
Code: [Select]
Since a 1xY or Xx1 bridge just transforms into a wall when it is raised, doing this allows you to cover all of the edges without any problems.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.