Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Everburning Dwarf Science?  (Read 1501 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Everburning Dwarf Science?
« on: January 28, 2013, 07:34:41 pm »

So, it has been noted that sometimes dwarves will gain the flashing red-and-yellow "on fire" coloration when exposed to magma... without actually being hurt/killed by it.  They go about their ordinary business, including in at least some cases wading through magma.  In one case, the fortress was saved and reloaded, and the affected dwarf burned normally upon reload.  In the other case, the fortress was abandoned with dwarves still on nonfatal fire.

The proposal here, is for anyone to take on what happens in the second case.

Proposed Setup
Start with a volcano embark, as the previous events have been observed to occur around volcanos.  Gain dwarves (invaders should probably be turned off), then save, copy the save and expose masses of them to magma at a controlled rate.  If dwarves enter the "Everburning" state, one copy of the fortress will be saved and reloaded, to observe if everburning dwarves always become regular burning dwarves in these circumstances.  Another copy will be abandoned with as many dwarves as possible in a confirmed everburning state.  Before abandonment, the names of all everburning dwarves will be noted.

From the abandoned save, Legends will be checked to ensure everburning dwarves are not considered already dead, and if not a new fort will be founded.  Each migrant will have his/her name checked against the list of everburning abandoners until one or more appear.

If the formerly everburning dwarves arrive in their new home healthy, or if they combust normally on entering the map, science is done.

If the formerly everburning dwarves arrive in the "everburning" state, the fort must be saved and reloaded, to establish whether or not dwarves that arrive on the map on fire will combust ordinarily when a save is loaded.  If they do, we can consider science done.

If they do not, however, and remain "burning" and magma-resistant through reloads, a community effort to create, then attract a ‼Monarch‼ may be in order

I might embark on this task myself... but it's a tall order, and I'm not a particular dwarf engineering or science genius
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Urist McDruid

• Bay Watcher
  • Never underestimate the power of the Scout's Code
    • View Profile
Re: Everburning Dwarf Science?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 02:24:35 am »

I approve this thread.

However, to have a !!Monarch!! would be damn near impossible. First i imagine, you have to attract the monarch. not too hard. Then, you have to get him/her into magma. also not hard. Then you have to get him into the ever-burning state. chances of this happening seem very small.

i like the idea though! ;D

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Re: Everburning Dwarf ‼SCIENCE‼?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 02:41:43 am »

…why would anyone want a magma-resistant ‼monarch‼? It does not seem as practical as a regular ‼monarch‼…

Chances are that it is not random if a dwarf can remain burning through other forts. Once someone can reliably incinerate a dwarf without cremating it, the real ‼SCIENCE‼ can begin.

To help the cause, I shall donate some goblins test subjects elves and my magma tank Operation FTW˛ my water heater that prevents my aboveground resivoir from freezing in winter to the cause. There shall be ‼SCIENCE‼! And there shall be Cake.

EDIT: In case it is not clear, my research will not deal with multiple forts, but rather with reliably inducing fiends of nature to…never have to create a campfire again. Without killing them. Chances are that the same method can also be used on dwarves nobility.

EDIT˛: Cross-linking
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:52:32 am by TruePikachu »
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 07:46:22 am »

What about submerging the everburning dwarfs into water? Will that save them from reloading fires?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 04:16:40 pm »

Bump.

Also, my current Elvish death toll is at 20.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.