Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speed game  (Read 2264 times)

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
Speed game
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:31:38 pm »

We've just had our 2nd election (enabled nightmare & ccs)
and the results are in: http://imgur.com/E47qpXY,rFfyYfo#0

I managed to sway both elections my way by becoming a hobby am & cable broadcaster who's got himself a law-degree for fun and juice by moonlighting as a safe-cracker.  I'm wondering how the liberal agenda here is doing compared to what's happening in your games.  I have no rap-sheet, no helpers, just a fancy suit, autohotkey and my guitar. 

Can I get this done by 2018 if i just keep broadcasting 5..6 times a month?  or more? or less? or ...   what's your best liberal strategy for saving the world fast? 

-Lenny

edit to add, aargh sorry, not no rap-sheet, i meant no heat, just disturbing the peace, theft and breaking and entering; no rap-sheet only in the sense that, oh well, you know what i mean. :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:37:15 pm by Lenny Zicree »
don't cook what you can brew

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Speed game
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:45:48 am »

Wait, so what do you consider a rap-sheet? What is allowed and what is not?

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:16:22 am »

I can bluff like crazy and there's only breaking the peace/theft/breaking&entering on my rap-sheet. no fists were raised in anger (except during the tv-shows) and there are no rules for what not to do, only a focus on doing as little as possible to win a game faster than last time..

See, Lenny is 11th in a line of revolutionaries borne out of a terrible defeat where reagan became god after 6 or so years. his predecessor (caaabdbaaa) ran a ghandi squad on stealth with cha15/agi7+ hippies, had 30 sleepers and 6 ceos and 3 each radio and cable personalities but had to talk to the dogs all the time because the stats were off. he had 30 sleepers and when he had wiped out the ccs with a dog-rifle squad, turned them on and soon had 90ish sleepers that advocated for the cause.  he finished hard-core mode in '22. Lenny wants to best that if possible.

So Lenny plays alone and with charisma. I can bluff my way out of anything. using the safes for money and to recover the juice lost from getting winked at by the arch-conservatives as they stalk me in the hallways as i exit after broadcasting.

I think that broadcasting is like releasing secret documents, but better since i can do it once a day every day. but that is too much work, even with macros to bluff people by position.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

so, anything goes. but does anyone think it can be done by 2018?  .. that it can be done this way?? 

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 12:18:27 pm »

so, anything goes. but does anyone think it can be done by 2018?  .. that it can be done this way??
It's definitely possible to get an elite liberal house in 2010, and an elite liberal senate and president in 2012, at which point it basically becomes a matter of waiting for the laws to change. The earliest that the elite liberal amendments can pass is therefore late 2014. There are 84 improvements to pass before the game is won. Before the house is won, any liberal laws will be quickly reverted to C+. In the two years between 2010 and 2012, congress will be gummed up, so nothing will pass. Instead, the driving forces will be the supreme court and the important propositions, and one cannot expect a total liberal law gain of more than 8 or so in those two years. The earliest that the senate motion can happen is late 2012, and at that point one can expect about 25 law improvements a year, so the earliest I reckon it's possible to win the game is 2016.

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:43:01 pm »

WOW, that was tasty meaty stuff, thanks very much for the analysis!

I reordered what you wrote so i can get my head around it:

• There are 84 improvements to pass before the game is won.
    Before the house is won, any liberal laws will be quickly reverted to C+.
    (great, you were thinking hardcore mode)

• 2010: It's definitely possible to get an elite liberal house
    now congress will be gummed up, so nothing will pass.
    the driving forces will be the supreme court and the important propositions,
    one can expect a total liberal law gain of up to 8 or so in the two years to 2012

• 2012: and an elite liberal senate and president
    at which point it basically becomes a matter of waiting for the laws to change.
    2012/late: the earliest that the senate motion can happen
    and at that point one can expect about 25 law improvements a year,
    2012/late: The earliest that the elite liberal amendments can pass

• so the earliest I reckon it's possible to win the game is 2016.

if its still correct expressed as milestones then i might just suicide and try broadcasting even sooner!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:05:32 pm by Lenny Zicree »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:59:23 pm »

• 2014/late: The earliest that the elite liberal amendments can pass
Sorry, I mistyped, that should be 2012.

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 02:19:32 pm »

hi again, i merged your fix and want to spell out something that's just becoming clear to me ...

you said 84 improvements going from c++ to l++
with 4*7 concerns, aka 21 categories, that is 4 ticks per improvement.

so if i'm speculating then 1 document release or 1 broadcast would be such a tick
- now i'd need 4 broadcasts on 6 topics (i've not seen laws change on more than 6 topics at a time) to push the changes through.

thus could it be that one can not get more than 6 laws changed from 2010 through 2012?

also, if the laws are changed every 2 years, then by 2012 there would be 21-6=15 topics left
- leaving 3 more 2 year cycles for a win.
- that would bring us to 2018 for an elite and 2016 for a democrat win, yes?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 06:02:41 pm »

Each of the 21 areas of law has five stages, and so there are four changes needed to get to L+ from C+.

There are four different times of year when the laws can change. On each occasion, between one and eight of the categories of law are chosen, and a motion to make each category one step either more liberal or more conservative.

One of the occasions is the supreme court, with decisions solely based on the alignment of the justices. One of the occasions is important propositions, with results based solely on public opinion. The other two are congress, where a motion has to pass the house, the senate and the president (or only house and senate if it passes with at least a 2/3 majority in both).

The only thing that happens in two year cycles is the elections, which determine the make up of congress, and have no direct effect on laws.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 07:28:04 pm »

In 4.04 or so, I think I Liberalized the country by 2012 or so, but that was a bit looser with the Amendments.

4.06.3 has the Backer List, which moves Police Regulation ~2 steps toward L+ and replaces some C+ legislators, roughly 6 months after you publish it.  Not a huge difference, but depending on where the Senators are in their terms, could swing Congress a bit faster.

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 12:58:08 am »

Each of the 21 areas of law has five stages, and so there are four changes needed to get to L+ from C+.
yes, 21x4. 84, got that.

There are four different times of year when the laws can change. On each occasion, between one and eight of the categories of law are chosen, and a motion to make each category one step either more liberal or more conservative.

yes, 8 topics, not 6 like i wrote above (that was bogus and is what i just logged in to fix ;)

and 4 times a year. damn, i've been playing so many violent games that i didn't pay attention enough to get these basic facts.  +2 internets for you for actually reading the manual!

One of the occasions is the supreme court, with decisions solely based on the alignment of the justices. One of the occasions is important propositions, with results based solely on public opinion. The other two are congress, where a motion has to pass the house, the senate and the president (or only house and senate if it passes with at least a 2/3 majority in both).

• One of the occasions is the supreme court, with decisions solely based on the alignment of the justices.
  • One of the occasions is important propositions, with results based solely on public opinion.
  • The other two are congress, where a motion has to pass the house, the senate and the president
    (or only house and senate if it passes with at least a 2/3 majority in both).

.. feb28-congress, may30-supremes, aug31-congress, oct31-propositions ..

ok.. 4 times a year,  from 1 to 8 topics can shift.  ...  that is, in 1 year, 4 to 32 shifts may happen.
if we have 84 shifts to win, and all the shifts that happen go our way, we _could be out of here in 3 years with a liberal court...  but the supremes will certainly turn their shifts against us, leaving only half that number available for real. thus ballpark +16 as ideal and +10/year as good..very good.

The only thing that happens in two year cycles is the elections, which determine the make up of congress, and have no direct effect on laws.

the meta frame is coming together for like this: starting in 99, an odd year, with what's most likely a stuck-up evil congress & evil supremes, i can get from -8..8 topics to shift my way. playing the lcs as an october'99 surprise to affect 8 topics by.. say.. broadcasting, might just make a good start.

in 2000 there in the next year there will be an election and everything hangs in the balance.
with a stuck-up evil congress & supremes one could hope for nothing but reversals until october.
in 2000, -8..+8 shifts. now it could be all c+ or one could have gotten lucky for up to 16 shifts.

in 2001, if i got insanely good and/or lucky and the entire congress had gone from right to left in 2000,
there could be 16 more shifts in place by nov1-2001 

going into 2002, one could have affected 32 of the 84 shifts required for an elite ending. but that is not likely at all. in reality, having made 10 shifts by 2002 would be very good. still having 10 shifts on the books would also be good.

if the court stays evil one could get another 2..16 shifts by nov1 each year, meaning 6 or 7 years from 2001 could see the first winner. lets be optimistic and say 'the game can not be won before nov1-2007'. (and if you won in 2007 you would have had insane luck, getting all 8 possible issues each time)  if you had normalish luck and simply got 8 shifts your way each year, then you'd be at 2012 for a very good early ending.

but hey its late, thanks vm for your input. i'll post fixes here if they appear below, but first i'll take it back into the game to see how close to 2012 i can retire!

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 01:04:50 am »

In 4.04 or so, I think I Liberalized the country by 2012 or so, but that was a bit looser with the Amendments.

awesome!  my estimate's down so much already, i think i'm waking up to the real game here :)

4.06.3 has the Backer List, which moves Police Regulation ~2 steps toward L+ and replaces some C+ legislators, roughly 6 months after you publish it.  Not a huge difference, but depending on where the Senators are in their terms, could swing Congress a bit faster.

Backer List, Backer List, must read up on Backer List.  tks!

oh i have 1 more question...    is there DECAY on agitations i make in january when october comes?   e.g.  do i need to play it close for best effect?    nite.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 07:01:41 am »

oh i have 1 more question...    is there DECAY on agitations i make in january when october comes?   e.g.  do i need to play it close for best effect?    nite.

Not decay per se, but there's entropy in the form of random movement, and there's ongoing effects from the Conservative media. It's a good strategy regardless of what kind of run you're doing to push the AM Radio and Cable News issues early and hard. These are the heavy lifter issues that create natural movement toward a more Conservative society, and cracking them quickly will help your agenda significantly over the long run.

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 11:47:19 am »

thanks for confirming 'no decay'. 

after game 3 or 4 i realized that i needed to force free speech laws by getting myself in the news doing stuff at the radio stations and or releasing those documents first - for my other actions to 'stick'.    .. but then the firemen came ..and remedies led to 'heat hopping', 'kill them first' and 'hold your ground' games; anyway, 

I'm glad you talk about movement too as that implies momentum.  if public concerns were like the momentum of marbles rolling down hills, would my actions make the hills bigger? my next guy clearly needs to pay more attention to the polls!