Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible....  (Read 1666 times)

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it possible....
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:07:19 am »

To make an auto-firing seige crossbow? Like, there would be a pressure plate which would instruct it to fire?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible....
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 11:14:39 am »

No, not yet at least.

But you can put crossbows in weapon traps - they will fire at every enemy who steps on the weapon trap. Of course, the trap needs to be resupplied with bolts, by mechanics, from time to time.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:15:16 am »

Nope, you need a dwarf to operate a ballista.

although drawbridge catapult with bolts...

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 11:20:38 am »

@Naryar
>drawbridge catapult with bolts

please explain

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:22:04 am »

You cannot build 'buildings', including catapults, on a drawbridge.
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:23:07 am »

You cannot build 'buildings', including catapults, on a drawbridge.
But you can drop bolts onto a drawbridge. And that drawbridge could be above a path.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 11:25:57 am »

Bolts aren't boulders, they don't do damage unless fired from crossbow, or thrown by an adventurer :P
SigFlags!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 11:29:09 am »

Bolts aren't boulders, they don't do damage unless fired from crossbow, or thrown by an adventurer :P

As of the most recent update falling things will cause damage due to to a physics rewrite, see coinstar as an alternative to danger room.

Check out some of the mine cart accelaration exploit threads. Granted you said a crossbow, not a gauss accelerator cannon, but one of the most recent ones launched mine carts quickly enough to blow an elephant into bits, an aside from reloading could be made automatic. Might be worth your while...
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 11:30:11 am »

I'm pretty sure that anything can do damage if dropped. Daggers, metal bars, mechanisms, seeds; really anything that isn't coins.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 01:01:46 pm »

I'm pretty sure that anything can do damage if dropped. Daggers, metal bars, mechanisms, seeds; really anything that isn't coins.
Yep. I am still trying to develop a flying human domino machine.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 02:17:38 pm »

As of the most recent update falling things will cause damage due to to a physics rewrite, see coinstar as an alternative to danger room.
Case in point: I once lost a miner in a cave in. The cause of death was rapid blood loss from a slashed throat, caused by a dagger on the same tile as the miner when it collapsed. All other impacts from the cave-in had "no force", only the dagger caused a hit(one single hit), the slash to the throat. This also seems to mean that sharp objects cut when they fall.

This also shows the danger of creatures and items falling at the same time: retracting bridge with dozens of large daggers dropped on it, anyone? (over a spiked pit, of course)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 02:27:20 pm »

What I mean by drawbridge catapult is using a raising drawbridge to throw stuff, not an actual catapult on a drawbridge.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 02:30:58 pm »

What I mean by drawbridge catapult is using a raising drawbridge to throw stuff, not an actual catapult on a drawbridge.
Maybe if you place three catapult parts on a bridge and fling them, they'll merge into a catapult mid-air and will then fire on enemies from above.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 02:32:59 pm »

Maybe if you place three catapult parts on a bridge and fling them, they'll merge into a catapult mid-air and will then fire on enemies from above.
You'll have to throw the siege engineer and the rock ammo with it.

It would be incredibly dwarven though.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 02:34:50 pm »

My suggestion would be a minecart shotgun. A good design will take a bit power for the rollers, and then just loop the minecarts endlessly. Then when the pressure plate is activated the minecart derails, sending deadly bolts everywhere. If you had a big enough roller loop you could probably even have 3-5 minecarts running simultaneously in it that would shoot out one after another.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.