Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 7/7 Pool of blood?  (Read 3833 times)

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
7/7 Pool of blood?
« on: January 29, 2013, 10:17:15 am »

Is this a thing that's possible? Has anyone ever successfully created a deep pool of blood?
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Re: 7/7 Pool of blood?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 10:24:26 am »

Someday I shall have a blood fountain (or at least a blood lake), but for now I don't think it has the same liquid properties as water and magma.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 10:27:27 am »

No.

There are two different sorts of liquids right now : actual flowing liquids (which can only be water or magma) and contaminants.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Contaminant

You may very well melt a hundred bronze colossi in one tile, the only thing it's going to do is a pool of molten bronze in the tile.

Hopefully we will have full liquid support for all liquids. I want to have blood rivers in my fort !

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:50:11 am »

In evil Biomes I think it is possible, whenever blood rain comes down

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 11:02:53 am »

I have a new goal. Time for some !!SCIENCE!!.
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 12:02:52 pm »

All reports that I've seen are that the blood rain just leaves a contaminant.  Even when filling a murky pool it fills the pool with water, with the blood as a contaminant.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 12:18:44 pm »

All reports that I've seen are that the blood rain just leaves a contaminant.  Even when filling a murky pool it fills the pool with water, with the blood as a contaminant.

Yup.  Best you can do is 7/7 water contaminated by other stuff, but that will spread syndromes if they're spread by ingestion (i.e., vampirism).  Oddly, contact syndromes (like the ones from evil rain) are NOT spread by drinking contaminated water (although it does give a negative thought).

EDIT:  And yeah, evil biomes oddly won't contaminate the natural ponds therein.  But if you make an artificial pond with buckets, or by digging to an aquifer, the evil rain will contaminate that water source.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:20:30 pm by Randy Gnoman »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 10:46:06 pm »

Yup.  Best you can do is 7/7 water contaminated by other stuff, but that will spread syndromes if they're spread by ingestion (i.e., vampirism).  Oddly, contact syndromes (like the ones from evil rain) are NOT spread by drinking contaminated water (although it does give a negative thought).

EDIT:  And yeah, evil biomes oddly won't contaminate the natural ponds therein.  But if you make an artificial pond with buckets, or by digging to an aquifer, the evil rain will contaminate that water source.

I want to see an evil biome which rains vampire blood and make an all-vampire fort now.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 11:36:06 pm »

I want to see an evil biome which rains vampire blood and make an all-vampire fort now.
It won't happen, unless you mod your game to have a creature who's blood naturally causes vampirism. Blood rains are always from basic sentient creatures (i.e. dwarf blood, elf blood, human blood, etc.).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 12:27:40 am »

You only need one vampire, though.  Build upright spikes at the bottom of a well, drop the vampire down the well, poke them with the spikes.  I think that's enough to contaminate the water.  Anyone who drinks from the well is infected.

I think I remember someone saying that a vampire only fort crumbles to its end, though:  you need to keep some dwarves pure.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 12:44:02 am »

You only need one vampire, though.  Build upright spikes at the bottom of a well, drop the vampire down the well, poke them with the spikes.  I think that's enough to contaminate the water.  Anyone who drinks from the well is infected.

I think I remember someone saying that a vampire only fort crumbles to its end, though:  you need to keep some dwarves pure.

False information. Same thing with werewolves. While this may first have been a glitch, it is officially a feature. You can run a were-fort with wereskinks and vampires. Just... Be careful on the full moon.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 12:45:38 am »

Time for ‼Science‼

[EDIT] Ninja'd by the fish. Armok damn it, I was really looking forward to testing this.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 04:08:26 am »

I can confirm that I have had a fort with a single vampire locked away in the walls be enough to preserve the fort after a tantrum spiral killed everyone else. So yes. The aforementioned information is lies and slander.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 02:38:24 pm »

I can confirm that I have had a fort with a single vampire locked away in the walls be enough to preserve the fort after a tantrum spiral killed everyone else. So yes. The aforementioned information is lies and slander.
Yeah, forts like this are almost invincible. Murderous ghosts can still get in an kill the vampire, but other then that nothing can. Assuming you leave the vampire with a large stack of slabs, a craftsdwarf shop, and a pick to make room for them then you have a basically invincible fort though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.