Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Wizardry online - open pvp, perma death  (Read 7888 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Wizardry online - open pvp, perma death
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 03:48:14 pm »

Ugh. That's a pretty long maintenance for release day. :P

probably due to the amount of crap which happened yesterday and amount of hang ups when trying to connect :P
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 03:49:46 pm »

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, interesting, ive got to try this... This reminds of some book where what you get in reality (cash and 'stuff' wise) is tied to a permadeath MMO.

Is it truly permadeath? No like paying to rezz or anything like dat?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 03:52:08 pm »

yeah, I'm not worried about lone griefers...those can and will be dispatched by "white knight" guilds. Or run away from. It's the griefer guilds...when they show up en masse and make it a sadistic game to make sure that absolutely NO ONE gets out alive. It's like the worst bandit gang you can think of out of a Western/Samurai movie.

Which admittedly makes a great setup for a plucky band of intrepid heroes to come in and kick some ass, but....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 03:52:34 pm »

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, interesting, ive got to try this... This reminds of some book where what you get in reality (cash and 'stuff' wise) is tied to a permadeath MMO.

Is it truly permadeath? No like paying to rezz or anything like dat?

If you'd bother to read the thread, that was already answered.

As far as i can tell when you die you lose something ( like a life ) you have so many lives but you can sacrifice items to also come back. once all these lives run out you die for good.

here is stuff from the wiki:

DeathEdit

Chant. Murmur. Pray. Invoke.

Sometime in your adventure, you'll see these four words come up - when you're attempting to revive yourself. Death is a common occurence in Wizardry Online, and is the first ghastly step towards permanent death. However, it is avoidable if you know what to do.

What happens when you die?

When you're dead, your soul wanders the spirit world, where you are stuck in a hazy blue world away from all living things. In this phase, you can run infinitely, and fall from any height without taking damage. Your objective: to locate a statue. Statues can be found around dungeons, and serve as checkpoints for the dead. Do note, you can only access the statue that you have lit prior. Your goal then is to run to the statue, and essentially roll for revival.

But then you notice you have blue flames over your head.

When you die, 10 blue flames mark your soul's health in the spirit world. There are walkers roaming around the spirit world, basically reapers, who can hack one of the flames off of you if you're caught. Each flame represents 10% success rate for revival. You want to avoid walkers at all costs. And if you're caught by a walker, your soul is sent back to where your body last was.

If running is too risky for you, there is an alternative: instantly warp to a statue. To perform this, players need to stand over their corpses, in which a button allowing them to teleport comes up. Teleporting has its risks as well: firstly, all your gear suffers a 25% loss in durability when you do it; secondly, there is a 30 second wait time before you can access the statue - prime time for a PKer to loot your body.?

The Statue

So you're finally at the statue screen, despite difficulties. When you select it, a scale will come up, showing your chance of survival. You have 2 shots at revival: first time you fail, you're turned into ash; second time you fail, well, it's all over there.?

Your probability can be raised, however, by offering items and/or gold to the statue. Up to 5 items can be offered, and depending on what you offer, the amount on the scale will go up.

If you have any good friends nearby, they can pick up your body or ashes, and take you to a statue or temple for revival - avoiding some of the risks on the way.

Incidentally, I think I remember the book you're talking about. It was a setting where lifespan was used as currency, no?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 03:56:49 pm »

I downloaded and tried this yesterday, but decided it wasn't worth playing after the second several-minutes-long loading screen between zone transitions (town to sewers, sewers to town) - not to mention the long waits to connect to the servers and to even get into the game. In that time it didn't really seem all that interesting. While in the sewers I got several quests to kill X monsters of Y types, which was disappointing.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 03:58:46 pm »

It's like the worst bandit gang you can think of out of a Western/Samurai movie.'

Which admittedly makes a great setup for a plucky band of intrepid heroes to come in and kick some ass, but....

Your avatar is so incredibly appropriate. Especially if you imagine the train and bandit crews in the beginning as alllll PCs. :P

Regardless, I used to play a few open-pvp permadeath MUDs that I think handled this pretty well. It was overall quite fun, and I'm sure more entertaining than this game. Though I did almost get offed more than once thanks to my being a relatively incautious illusioner/poisoner. How was I supposed to know the poison was THAT effective!? It was just a joke! :P

For those who've played, does this game actually offer anything that makes it worth trying?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:01:42 pm by GlyphGryph »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 04:13:52 pm »

It's like the worst bandit gang you can think of out of a Western/Samurai movie.'

Your avatar is so incredibly appropriate. Especially if you imagine the train and bandit crews in the beginning as alllll PCs. :P
Hehehe...Tae-goo would be the lvl 60 masquerading as a lvl 5, stealing the purple loot drop and running.  :P

It probably won't be as bad as I'm imagining, just because a lot of time has passed between AC and now, and many lessons have been learned. I think my experiences on Darktide just left me shell-shocked regarding non-consensual PvP.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 04:19:07 pm »

I think the servers are back online now. dont hold me to that, i seem to be able to connect

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 04:22:21 pm »

its up, im in eu US server now, Eu is still under maintenance :(

it says connect just leave the game for a while

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 04:30:40 pm »

wow, takes a long time to connect, not sure if due to alot of connections at once or just server.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 04:35:02 pm »

It was like that yesterday too.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 04:36:55 pm »

It's been stuck saying "Connect" for roughly 10 minutes now. Hopefully this isn't a lasting issue.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 05:03:15 pm »

it will eventually connct, but has been known to take up to 30 mins. It appears it is an invisible que.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 05:03:57 pm »

Hey, do they have a class capable of rezzing or necromancy in the game yet?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 05:10:36 pm »

Is it just me or is the lag horrible?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6