Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Titan Extermination Military Challenge  (Read 7594 times)

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Titan Extermination Military Challenge
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 11:37:38 am »

The only thing I did was use lazy newb to start the game and to load the Ironhand graphics pack.  I dont know anything about modifying the game, so I guess I'll just restart with the original save and go again from the start.  Are there any settings on Lazy Newb that I need to change?

*Edit*  I just opened the zip file and the only thing that has updated dates on it is the Graphics folder.  So I dont know what could have happened, but I dont think it was something I changed somehow.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:41:44 am by Dolwin »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 04:23:29 pm »

Yeah, i figured it was something like that.

It looks like LNP is overwriting some raws where it really shouldn't be.  Files in /data/saves/_region_/raw/objects should not be touched for a graphics pack update.  I'm not overly familiar with LNP (tried it once a long time ago) so I can't say what settings should be changed, but if it were me, I would "manually" apply the Ironhand graphics pack instead of using the LNP launcher to ensure you don't run into the same problem.

If you want to be really sure, PM a link to a save immediately after you re-launch the second round, and I'll look it over to see if the raws have been modified, and we'll go from there.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 05:28:06 pm »

Welp, I won't have that problem.  :P
I don't trust graphics packs or utilities of any sort, so mine will be completely modification free.

Speaking of, I'm getting frustrated trying to reclaim the same site over and over (I really want to clear out that zombie infestation, and get to the @$#%ing stone layers), so I'm trying this challenge. Maybe I'll learn something about operating a military this time. Or finally figure out burrows.

Edit: 1 pick? 1 axe? Time to turn this challenge into a ‼challenge‼. It's been a while since I've embarked with less than 2.

Edit2: 7th of Obsidian: The miner has killed a Drathla that got up into the food stockpiles from the caverns. I have wood access now, but my sealing off a section of the cavern for private use is going slowly. A hunter-turned-farmer just turned himself into a legendary craftsdwarf, though, and now I have a useless bracelet worth a whole lot that I have no reason to keep. *sigh*, atleast without merchants I can set him on making some useful crafts... Out of wood.  ::)

Edit3: 12th Obsidian: GCS, wonderful.

14 of Slate: After losing a fifth dwarf to subterranean wildlife, I have sealed off all access to the caverns. The slightly larger area I was walling off will have to be finished later. When my military and hunters can HANDLE them.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:37:39 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 10:40:36 am »

Man, this challenge is so fun.  I've got the first two cavern levels fully explored and have killed 1 Forgotten Beast so far.  I think there is a FB in the third cavern that I havent found yet, but I'm going to be opening the path soon.  I think the most you can have is one FB or Titan per season?  Ideally that will start happening for me soon.

Having no migrants, outdoor trees, or magma really is making things interesting.  I never thought I hear myself say "boy, I could really use some migrants that are really good at wood burning or plant processing"

This is a lot of fun.  I recommend that everyone thats looking to spice up DF a bit to try this out :)

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 10:55:09 am »

Well, i think i will step ahead and try this. I have to say though that the 50 FBs objective seems way to high to me. I mean, i rarely
see 3 FBs in a year, so this will need a 15 year fort minimum...
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 11:05:12 am »

It does take quite a few in-game years, but the challenge doesn't end until the 17th, so that should be plenty of time.  Welcome to the challenge, Broken.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 11:12:00 am »

How did you manage to prevent migrants? The first two waves are hardcoded and i though that it was imposible to avoid them.

EDIT: I just saw that the challenge begins after the first migrant waves, i am an Idiot.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 11:48:42 am »

You can actually prevent the first two migrant waves, but the current method to do so prevents titan/fb attacks, so I couldn't use it.  A bit of a disappointment, but no big deal in the end.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 12:28:29 pm »

Yeah I'm trying it too. Already lost two fortresses to poor planning. Tree farms are slow.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 04:03:38 pm »

HELL YES! I caged the GCS.

adamantinespork

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 03:34:15 pm »

Some traders just showed up to my door as well. I'm using phoebus, and I ran the init/savegame updater so the tileset would work. I'm assuming that is what did it.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 03:37:43 pm »

Yeah, there really is no reason to be screwing with the saved game /raw/objects just to put a graphics pack in place.

Bad graphics packs!  Bad!

>:(

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 03:57:39 pm »

I don't get it? I don't have any miners, how am I supposed to get stuff to build with?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 03:59:46 pm »

I don't get it? I don't have any miners, how am I supposed to get stuff to build with?
Any dwarf can be assigned to do any task.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 04:03:43 pm »

Any dwarf can be assigned to do any task.

How? Sorry I'm new to fort mode.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4