Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Titan Extermination Military Challenge  (Read 7587 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Titan Extermination Military Challenge
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 04:29:57 pm »

I don't get it? I don't have any miners, how am I supposed to get stuff to build with?
Any dwarf can be assigned to do any task.

How? Sorry I'm new to fort mode.
I am grateful for the enthusiasm, but this may not be the challenge to start fortress mode with.  Don't let that stop you, just... eyes wide open, starting fortress mode with this challenge is going to be a bumpy ride.
Spoiler: yes, a very bumpy ride (click to show/hide)
In any case, the answer is: v, (target dwarf), p, l, <enter>

adamantinespork

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 03:29:01 am »

Yeah, there really is no reason to be screwing with the saved game /raw/objects just to put a graphics pack in place.

Bad graphics packs!  Bad!

>:(

Well, a titan that showed up a little earlier made quick work of the outpost liaison and caravan. Which raw/objects/ files have been modified to get the no liason/traders effect? Maybe I can just copy those over. I've already got a decent farming industry going, secured access to each cavern level, a well, tree farm that takes up more than a zlevel, and my metal industry is getting off the ground. Any way I can avoid restarting? edit: is it the [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN] tag under dwarf in entity_default that is responsible for traders showing up? I'm assuming so. I've removed it, and I'll continue playing to see. The traders goods will rot beside their bones.

edit2: the Titan is now confined to a silk producing chamber.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:53:30 am by adamantinespork »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 10:21:17 am »

... Which raw/objects/ files have been modified to get the no liason/traders effect? Maybe I can just copy those over.  ...
The problem with this approach is that once a liaison visits, you may start getting migrants, which is a huge problem in this type of challenge.  The premise of this challenge is every player using a predictable, consistent and limited resource pool to work towards a goal.  Traders, migrants, and the liaison remove that consistency and limitation.
While it may be unlikely, given this misbehavior on the part of LNP & Phoebus, we can't know for sure they didn't change something else in the raws.
Unfortunately, a restart, and then playing through without modified raws, is the only way to make sure the playing field is level, adamantinespork.

The next challenge will not suffer from this particular problem, but if I ever put up another public challenge again with modified raws, I will definitely have to make mention of graphics packs/tileset installers and their problems.

On the plus side, we're almost halfway through the time allocated for this challenge!   :o

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 10:34:31 am »

3 FBs and a Titan are dead.  I'm expecting the fifth any day now.  They are spawning slower than I'd like, even with all 3 of the caverns fully explored.  I just passed $2M for the fort, so they should be attracted to us.  Would having the bridge lowered all the time make them spawn quicker?  I know it makes the cave monsters act differently.  I just reached the point where I'm able to mass produce masterwork clothes and steel armor, as well as having my 2 detailers hit legendary from smoothing, so I'll be cranking out master engravings on all the walls as well.  Wealth should increase drastically.

Things are too.... safe right now.  I'm basically just sitting behind my secure walls counting down the days until the next FB/Titan arrives, rinse and repeat.  I think its time to do something dwarfy.  I've seen the occasional olm, jabberer, and cave dragon.  I'm thinking I should make a 3 prong hallway in the path to the surface, with each path leading to different fun times.  Some War Jabberers and a Cave Dragon hallway for slaughtering FBs might be useful.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 10:48:35 am »

While testing this challenge, I had a path open to the interior of the fort at all times, once I passed the 20k wealth mark. 
I'm not sure it matters, though.  In other forts, I've had multiple FB's/Titans running around the surface and the caves, while sitting safely behind constructed walls inside the fort.

Good idea, though, Dolwin, having war-creatures.  They will likely be able to take care of some of the weaker FB's/Titans on their own.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 11:29:36 am »

Looking at the wiki at work while I wait to go home and begin the dwarfiness.  Cave dragons dont breathe fire, which means I can give them to my army without explodiness?  Muahaha. 

adamantinespork

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 04:54:48 pm »

While it may be unlikely, given this misbehavior on the part of LNP & Phoebus, we can't know for sure they didn't change something else in the raws.

I ran a little bash script that compares every file in the objects folders between a fresh download of the save, and a freshly "updated" download. Everything is graphics/text modifications except for that one  [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN] line in entity_default.

Unfortunately, a restart, and then playing through without modified raws, is the only way to make sure the playing field is level, adamantinespork.

Well, I guess I'm out of the running, since spending another 5+ hours doing the same build over is not exactly my idea of fun. Maybe I'll start again with a different.. approach. For what its worth, I'm at mid winter 1508 now and I haven't gotten another outpost liaison or any migrants. Oh, another thing. Did you intend for people to turn pregnancies off, or does it matter? I'm having a dwarfsplosion over here. I'm definitely to blame for letting my dwarfs socialize so much.

I'm interested to see how other people approach this challenge.. I really want to see someone do it solely with military and no traps or dangerrooms.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:02:00 pm by adamantinespork »

adamantinespork

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 04:56:31 pm »

(d'oh, double post.. The delete function is probably staring me right in the face, and yet I can't find it)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:58:30 pm by adamantinespork »

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 06:50:09 pm »

6 down.  They dont seem to spawn faster with the bridges down, but I have the 3 way hallway done.  My military is getting a ton of kills now, which is nice.  I havent seen a single Jabberer or Cave Dragon since creating the halls.

On the plus side, I just caught a breeding pair of Falcons.  :)

(Adamantinespork, you would have gotten migrants.  That happened to me before I restarted using just vanilla.  Sorry you couldnt finish :( )

adamantinespork

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 11:43:09 pm »

Dolwin, did you actually meet with the liaison? What year did you get migrants in? Also, did you remove the [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN] tag before the migrants arrived? I'm at year 1508 now and I still haven't gotten any.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 02:04:01 am »

I got migrants the following season.  My liason didnt die though.

Unfortunately, it doesnt look like I can continue this challenge.  Its been 3 years since a FB or Titan has spawned.  Nothing is blocked off, all 3 caverns are open and have access to my fort.  I'm up to over 550 regular kills, maybe they dont want to fight my dwarves any more.  Let me know if this is a known issue or anything, because I was really looking forward to finishing the challenge.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 10:09:29 am »

Not a known issue.  I play tested through to 50 FB/Titan kills with this embark, so it is possible to finish.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 01:21:34 pm »

A couple just spawned back to back, so I dont know what the problem was.

On a side note, children.  Children everywhere.  My dedicated farmerdwarf has THREE legendary children.  Children are making all my artifacts now :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:25:30 pm by Dolwin »

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 10:04:11 am »

Up to 12 FB/Titans.  For whatever reason, the longer I play without saving & quitting the program, the less often they spawn.  I save and quit, and the next time I start up they spawn every few months or so.  I wish I knew this before as I'm going way too slowly to even consider finishing the challenge on time.

I have my first War Jabberer.  Leveling up Animal Training from scratch takes a long time, but I've been practicing on falcons + whatever else wanders into a cage trap.  Jabberers and Cave Dragons dont bolt for freedom the way that most cavern creatures do.  They choose to leave the map through the edge of the map in the cavern most of the time.  I need to build a Jurassic Park style Peachick bait structure in the third level of the cave with lowerable bridges to try and get captives more often.  Its going to be risky, but potentially worth it.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 11:08:23 am »

Up to 12 FB/Titans.  For whatever reason, the longer I play without saving & quitting the program, the less often they spawn.  I save and quit, and the next time I start up they spawn every few months or so.  I wish I knew this before as I'm going way too slowly to even consider finishing the challenge on time. ...
Fear not, you have almost a week left!

But this is good to know.  I generally save and restart quite often (probably once per in-game year, minimum) so I didn't notice any change in spawn rates, seeing at least one FB/Titan per year except for one year (1517).  Always something more to learn about DF.

If the general consensus is that another week is needed by the time we hit the 17th, I can extend the challenge or just post my own save to finish it and save everyone the time & trouble.  I have another challenge in the queue, though, so I don't want to extend it indefinitely.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4