Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hiding in furniture  (Read 1495 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Hiding in furniture
« on: February 01, 2013, 01:06:09 am »

We're getting a stealth overhaul soon, so I'd like to suggest the ability to hide in furniture.  Hiding in cabinets and closets, as well as under beds and tables, is a classic ploy for any character suffering an attack by monsters or criminal scum.  Especially if their parents are there to be slaughtered while they look on helplessly.

Anyway, with the new vision cones it will no longer be possible to hide in the open, so this could make it feasible to hide in the same room as someone else without getting spotted.  As alluded to above, this sort of hiding can lead to a lot of tense situations as the hiding character hopes that those in the room don't hear them breathing or suddenly decide to check that all their coats are still there.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hiding in furniture
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 12:47:07 pm »

Yeah, that would be nice to have the opportunity to hide in a box you're carrying around as well.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 12:59:42 pm »

Yeah, that would be nice to have the opportunity to hide in a box you're carrying around as well.

"Look, I'm not exaggerating when I say the success of your mission hinges on how you use that towercap box. But in the end, a towercap box is only made of magic mushroom. Handle it with care or it won't be of much use to you. Don't think of it as just another box. Treat it with love... Don't be rough. Okay?"

Although it's kind of game-y to have an item you can keep in your back pocket, pull out of your pocket, hide yourself into, and still have another box of the same dimensions in your other pocket.  Magic non-euclidean containers and apparent klein bottles have been breaking suspension of disbelief for a while in games, now. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:08:52 pm »

Magic non-euclidean containers and apparent klein bottles have been breaking suspension of disbelief for a while in games, now

Games have never really reached a balance either having your character able to carry a fantastic amount of objects or almost none.

THEN there is DeadIsland which is the only game that has the proud possition of doing both: You can carry a fantastic amount of objects around with you, yet no real place to put them, but ammo is something you barely have space for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 08:22:00 am »

Magic non-euclidean containers and apparent klein bottles have been breaking suspension of disbelief for a while in games, now
Games have never really reached a balance either having your character able to carry a fantastic amount of objects or almost none.
Among other things they've never balanced.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 01:08:27 pm »

*AHEM*
Needless to say, yes.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 02:33:37 pm »

"Look, I'm not exaggerating when I say the success of your mission hinges on how you use that towercap box. But in the end, a towercap box is only made of magic mushroom. Handle it with care or it won't be of much use to you. Don't think of it as just another box. Treat it with love... Don't be rough. Okay?"

Here I was expecting a nethack-esque hiding monster message, but this was better.  Though I would've gone with the Sigint box convo in MGS3.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 07:13:04 pm »

Well, I think my favorite middle finger to have ever been raised at the concept of physics was in an old Apple IIe game called (I think) Odyssey.

The point of the game was that there were monsters in the dungeon rooms (it was a game where the side of a screen led to a new room, no scrolling of rooms) and the only way to not get eaten was to hide inside these robots.  You had a wire tool, and had to wire up the robots from inside to make the robots move and pick up keys and take them to the locks, and all sorts of stuff where you couldn't do anything directly because going outside meant getting eaten by monsters.

You also got things like "OR" gates and "NAND" gates and a microchip that you could go inside and program, and the whole point was to get kids to understand the basic concepts of programming logic. 

But the thing was, every container was its own room inside.  A player could carry Robot A, inside of which was a microchip, inside of which was Robot B.  The player could then go inside of Robot B, which was inside of the microchip that was inside Robot A that the player was able to lift and move.  You could then take Robot A outside, the microchip out of Robot B, stuff Robot B into the microchip, and then stuff the microchip inside Robot A.

The player was always the same relative size to the screen no matter how many recursive layers of containers they were going inside.

Hence, Magic Klein Bottles.

Urist saw the goblin sentries up ahead.  There was only one entrance, so there was no way to get around them.  Stealth was of the essence, however.

Knowing what to do, Urist reached into her bag and pulled out her Klein bottle.  Declaring that she was now "inside" the Klein bottle as she threw it over the sentry's heads.

Suddenly seeing an object fly at them, the guards at once ducked, and were alerted.

"Ulspa! Someone's throwing something at us! Quick, go look in that direction!"
"Hey, Ost, you're not sending me out there alone, you come too."

So the guards left, and Urist chuckled to herself before declaring that she was "outside" the Klein bottle again, and popped out of the Klein bottle behind where the sentries had stood, and where she had thrown the bottle.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 07:19:13 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 10:44:17 pm »

Klein bottles are weird.
(But not that weird.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.