Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Potential and Affinity (skill and attribute growth rates)  (Read 2967 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Potential and Affinity (skill and attribute growth rates)
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:05:15 pm »

Currently, when I play Adventurer Mode, the first thing I'll do is steal some food, find the nearest well for a supply of water, and then go jump in the nearest stream while sneaking, record a macro of moving back and forth ten tiles, and then set to repeat 500 times while going to watch TV or something.  When I come back, eat, drink, sleep, then set macro for another 500 repetitions, and a couple sets of training later, I'm a legendary swimming ninja.  Same goes for thrower - throw dirt at wall 20,000 times via macro and you're a legendary thrower. 

I'd been kicking around the idea of affinity for a while, but potential is an idea I got by playing a different (and VERY Japanese) game called Elona.  In Elona, you gain skills through use like in DF, but there's a twist: You have a "Potential" for each skill.

Potential
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hyperbolic Growth, Geometric Costs

Affinity

Training and Guilds

Education, Upbringing, and Indoctrination

Food/Nutrition

Player Interface
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 08:53:07 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Potential and Affinity (skill and attribute growth rates)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:34:13 pm »

Furthermore attribute "potential" could be displayed by color coding the appropriate attributes to their "potential" status:
Code: [Select]
Cyan - 100+% (Prospering)
Green - 75-100%
Yellow - 50-74%
Red - 0-49%
Magenta - <0% (Deteriorating)
And one could go even further by categorizing foods that help certain attributes, so that one may see something like this:
Code: [Select]
Cyan - 100+% (Prospering)
Green - 75-100%
Yellow - 50-74% (Could use some [Food Category])
Red - 0-49% (Is craving [Food Category] badly)
Magenta - <0% (Deteriorating)  (Requires [Food Category] to function)

Also, someone give this man a medal.

oh_no

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 04:26:57 pm »

I, too, am impressed. Sadly, I can't think of anything to add.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 06:49:04 pm »

Actually, I think a modification could be made.  In Elona, simply making you take 5 or 10 or even 100 times as long to gain a skill level is all the motivation you need to push up your potentials because many skills can't be trained terribly easily.  Faith, for example, often requires you just get lucky rolls while sleeping and have a lot of religious dreams that up your faith because you can't offer infinite sacrifices to keep gaining faith the normal way.

DF would still let you just keep punching that macro to throw dirt 1,000,000 times if that's what it took. 

So instead of a pure geometric decline, a linear decline then a geometric decline in potential could be in order.

I.E. Potential = TRUNC((Potential - 10) * 0.8) 
(Presuming that potential is stored as a short integer.)

That way, you'd be completely stopped from gaining any experience until you completed something that would push your potential back up, even if it was just waiting around to go to sleep. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 09:00:10 pm »

Attribute potential should degrade according to hunger - in addition to following abuse through use.

Which to say is that attribute potential decays over time (adjusted by hunger level), unless replenished. In addition to it being spent when raising appropriate attribute.
And that would mean that you can try and raise strength like there's no tomorrow, but without the right diet your "Strength-Raising Resources" are going to be drained just as fast.

Because where's the logic in becoming Superman-strong while starving. Instead of building muscle you'd actually just degenerate it because you're already starved of stockpiles.
Simply because while you'd break down muscle from the usage, you wouldn't have enough resources to rebuild it again. Because you need those to actually stay alive.
(Which is arguably more important.)

oh_no