Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 254326 times)

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #1020 on: April 30, 2019, 06:07:25 am »

Can't you just use, say, (using the posted picture as a reference) horizontal underground belts inline with the main bus to create the room you need? Like if they wanted to pull iron south, they could make part of the copper bus line underground. It looks kind of ugly but I don't *think* it causes any serious problems. Same with green circuits; you'd just have to make a little bit of the iron plates underground to create room for the circuit's underground entrance.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 06:56:05 am by Malus »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: April 30, 2019, 07:55:01 am »

Can't you just use, say, (using the posted picture as a reference) horizontal underground belts inline

the two tipes of factorio players I guess :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 30, 2019, 09:34:17 am »

you need more space between belts of different materials, at least two to allow for a splitter, a turn and the required underground entrance to cross the other bus lanes
I suppose that would have been an efficient way of doing it, but before you posted that I did this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(the manufacturing line in the lower center can manufacture either solar panels or laser turrets, and made around 80/50 of each respectively.  It used an ungodly amount of green circuits so I've turned it off for now)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: April 30, 2019, 11:13:06 am »

Solar panels do not provide much electricity each, so you may need more of them.

Especially if you want to use your laser turrets, as these use high amounts of electricity, when firing

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 30, 2019, 11:33:29 am »

I would just use coal/nuclear for your nighttime operations and laser needs. Getting enough capacitors to use solar for those purposes is really inefficient.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: April 30, 2019, 11:37:28 am »

My current run has no main bus because I started on an island, blue science was a pain to setup as a result especially given I had only 40k coal iirc.

Laser turrets eat 2.4mw each when firing, while solar panels give 60kw. At least you can dump them just about everywhere and throw up a fire and forget blueprint with a roboport and leave it to build itself.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: April 30, 2019, 11:41:30 am »

I never bothered with laser turrets.

Gun turrets were enough, and I tended to be proactive with clearing out biter homes anyways so rarely are there big attacks.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 30, 2019, 12:41:39 pm »

In a Vanilla game, Laser turrets are more about whether you want to have to set-up many things for your mining outposts :

Gun turrets can take care of most enemies, and flame throwing turrets are great for the rest. Clearing out bitter nests also helps.
the "problem" with both gun and flame turrets is that they need ammunition, whereas laser turrets only need electricity, so it can be easier to set up a mining outpost with laser.
On the other hand, the train getting the ore out of your outpost could be the same bringing the ammo (or fuel) to the gun (and/or flame) turrets.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 30, 2019, 01:30:59 pm »

My plan is to spam laser turrets everywhere as a last line of defense so if a small biter wave attacks (I think the way it works is that the initial attack from a nest should be weak and then it ramps up?) it won't tear through half the factory if I'm somewhere else at the time.

Basically as long as a laser never fires its a one time payment so I'm fine spamming them.

Next I'm going to try and create some outlying outposts that produce pollution and fill them with gun turrets and radar.  That way hopefully I can manipulate the biters into only attacking heavily fortified outposts.

Do trains produce pollution and, related, do biters target train tracks?

Edit: oh never mind lasers drain the grid just from being on lol.  Looks I should use that excess of coal that's filling up my train and make a new boiler system...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:34:23 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 30, 2019, 02:20:21 pm »

While they may have a base-level consumption (I'm not 100% on that), it's way, way lower than when they're firing. You can easily see when biter waves are attacking on your energy use graph, because the turrets will jump from not even being in the top 10 to being the number 1 energy consumer.

Relatedly, it's why, even if you don't go solar, it's not a bad idea to have some capacitors around if you're using laser turrets; otherwise prolonged laser fire can starve the rest of your base.

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 30, 2019, 03:41:42 pm »

regarding defense, and unless you turn off biter expansion, i've found I need several things to be safe
 - laser turrets, because setting up a large perimeter without them requires too much logistics for ammo. As a consequence, i currently run a 16 Nuclear reactor setup
 - flamethrowers, because since 0.17 the spitters are otherwise making too much damage. Those are very efficient at dealing with big packs, which may overwhelm the lasers otherwise
 - logistics coverage of the defense area, supplied with a small supplies station (mainly pipes, because spitters sometimes break the flamethrower ones, and repair packs)

Since I've setup this, I don't need to bother about checking the walls

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: April 30, 2019, 03:53:23 pm »

I find driving around in cars (I have a tank but no shells yet) taking out nests to be way more fun than it has any right to be, so for me radar is a solid defensive option.  Related, but its possible to do driveby grenade-ings in the car and keep shooting the whole time.  Much prefer the active defense to the passive defense, its a little nerve wracking building a huge perimeter defense knowing that at some point the aliens will evolve and I'll have to upgrade the whole thing to match them.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: April 30, 2019, 04:37:12 pm »

Tanks are fun. It's pretty cool shooting a nest, killing it, and watching the shell impact another nest. Or wiping out a line of biters.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 30, 2019, 05:07:09 pm »

Or just flattening the nest by ramming it at high speed. Tanks are great fun.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: April 30, 2019, 08:57:13 pm »

I finally got one equipped with good ammo in all 3 slots.  My biters aren't very evolved but holy fuck how are they supposed to kill that thing?
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 76