Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 253885 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #1095 on: June 07, 2021, 08:50:18 pm »

Not at all- the trending stat really just tracks how much attention it's received recently, so if I had to wager, something else got a big update, or some other new hot thing came through, or it got an update a few weeks back and the surge of attention it received is over.

It's no measure of people uninstalling the mod, or dissatisfaction, so don't fret.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: June 08, 2021, 07:04:00 pm »

Haven't noticed any change in the bug AI, but we will see in time. Scratch that, they are avoiding the places other bugs have died!

On another note, I just realized I'm going to have to rebuild my entire base over and automate twice as much as I expected.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :'(
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 07:09:51 pm by Micro102 »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: June 09, 2021, 10:26:19 am »

Rampant does sound exactly like what I was looking for! But why does it have a -400 trending rate? Is something wrong with it?
From what I've seen, trending rates are the difference between recent average downloads and average downloads over a longer timespan. Popular mods will therefore always have larger fluctuations in trending than smaller ones, but on average the trendingness of every mod is zero. Trending has no correlation to the mod's quality.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: June 16, 2021, 09:35:35 pm »

I'm getting deep into the tech of krastorio and space exploration, and I'm losing it. My bus keeps getting bigger and bigger as every other item needs 5 different items which require their own items. And I'm less then half way through all the possible research cards. It seems like I'm going to have to redo the ENTIRE BASE to enrich ores for better efficiency. And the bugs are getting to the point where they can damage weapons eventually which means an ever growing need to automate repairs everywhere.

Anyone else play these mods, who could give me some tips on how to handle the insane production curve?

EDIT: Almost forgot, wtf am I suppose to do about bugs regularly attacking my railroads??? What happens if they attack one 30 miles away? I don't remember them ever doing this.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 10:17:00 pm by Micro102 »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: June 16, 2021, 10:58:08 pm »

I haven't done K/SE, but from what I've done with some degree of success from other mods with complex production chains like A/B's was to use 'modularized' production facilities. Instead of hooking stuff up to a main bus, I made a pointed effort to avoid the main bus when possible. I found the end result of that design led to fewer bottlenecks and easier diagnosing of imbalances until you get to drones.

On the other hand, I've never been a fan of the main bus design, so... yeah.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Astfgl66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: June 17, 2021, 07:23:44 am »

I would advise using efficiency modules everywhere you don't use prod at first, until getting to space and getting a few more damage upgrades at least.
If you're doing core mining, use air filters around them as they spread a lot of pollution. Military control is hard at the beginning of the space age in SE because of the lack of upgrades so you'll have to either go big or reduce pollution IMO.

Bugs should not be attacking your railroads at all. If you're terribly unlucky a bug can get grazed by a train and then it turns hostile, but that should be pretty rare before behemoths.

Handling the production curve means having more ressources available. My advice would be to use nuclear power to run 6-8 core miners or more, enrich the ore you get from this, use vulcanite recipes in industrial furnaces, prod modules at every step of the production chain and make plenty of use from air filters to keep pollution under control.

In my completed SEK2 run I had a ground main bus with all types of circuits, coal, iron and copper plates, steel, stone, rare metals and all different kinds of petrol fluids. It worked very well. You don't really need to bus all the intermediaries.

One of SE's design decision is to let you unlock methods of doing things you were already doing more efficiently. Your production chains will change and you will need plenty of refactoring once you're in space. That's just how the mod is designed, almost everything you'll build in your first run will need to be redesigned at some point.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 07:30:16 am by Astfgl66 »

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: June 17, 2021, 12:58:57 pm »

I always had biters attacking rails, in vanilla, as well as with mods. Especially if those rails include electric poles. Always hated that I have to wall in all the rails, or at least build a lot of military outposts so biters attack those instead.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: June 18, 2021, 07:57:56 am »

I always had biters attacking rails, in vanilla, as well as with mods. Especially if those rails include electric poles. Always hated that I have to wall in all the rails, or at least build a lot of military outposts so biters attack those instead.
This matches my experience, and I only ever played vanilla. Had to wall off all my train tracks or the biters would bite them.

But I think it's a matter of layout and positioning.  I don't think biters will ever seek out railroads, but since railroads often travel between 2 pollution sources it makes sense they end up on the tracks now and then, and they seem to make attacks of opportunity in that case.  Maybe there's a smarter way to build that minimizes that problem? Not that I know what it is...

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: June 18, 2021, 09:56:58 am »

indeed, the need to defend railways is what ultimately killed the game for me.
there is a mod to make poles and railwails impervious, but the doing the same with the trains themself was rather borring.

i liked to play with expensive recipies + death world with a huge staring area, but it gets SO TIDIOUS to kill off the the respawning biters in a large area around the railways all the time. even with spidertron it just became to much work and to little fun.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: June 18, 2021, 09:15:46 pm »

Welp, my game went horribly wrong.... I can only assume this was caused by the rampant mod as I'm not quite sure how this could happen with vanilla pollution levels. Suddenly, literally thousands of bugs all charged this one particular defense together. 8 turrets, concrete walls, myself chucking endless grenades, dozens of distraction drones and defensive drones.... Couldn't hold it. hundreds of bugs died over the course of a couple of minutes, then hundreds more flooded my base. It seems like the game just spawned them out of thin air as my pollution level was very low (15% of the 0.65 evolution rate was due to pollution).

I've seen this endless spawning before when I've cleared nests out. They never stop and the result is "fly around with your jet pack for 10 minutes taking pot shots with an antimaterial rifle", Can't even use a tank because there are simply too many of them.

The rampant mod made the game more intense, but if it's ultimately going to just be "spawn infinite units regardless of pollution" then I don't see much point in keeping it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: June 20, 2021, 12:55:23 pm »

Good news, the rampant mod has many many settings to tweak and I don't have to fight thousands of bugs. It also has options to make railroads and electric poles immune, preventing bugs from destroying them. So motorbitch, this might solve all your porblems.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: June 21, 2021, 03:29:57 pm »

indeed, the need to defend railways is what ultimately killed the game for me.
there is a mod to make poles and railwails impervious, but the doing the same with the trains themself was rather borring.

i liked to play with expensive recipies + death world with a huge staring area, but it gets SO TIDIOUS to kill off the the respawning biters in a large area around the railways all the time. even with spidertron it just became to much work and to little fun.

Is this from a very old version or modded or something? I started with 0.17 and I've never seen a rail attacked directly and I have a lot of rails outside of my defended areas. I've also never seen a power pole attacked unless a) the biter was "triggered" because the group it was part of was attacked and the tower was specifically in its way, or b) it was part of a group and it specifically was having trouble pathfinding around an obstacle, so it started to attack it (similar logic as why they sometimes attack rocks or trees). This can happen if the attack group is exceptionally large and the reason it was having trouble pathfinding was because of all the other aliens around it.

Or maybe this behavior is in new versions that I haven't played yet?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 03:34:16 pm by Niveras »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: June 21, 2021, 06:42:03 pm »

I haven't specifically seen this happen, but have seen a train damaged sitting in my train stop which leads me to suspect that the sudden attacks on railways is because the train has hit a bug that was on it's way to attack you, which caused them to aggro on everything in the vicinity. Makes sense, otherwise I would employ a wall of endlessly moving trains as a barrier :P

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: June 22, 2021, 04:31:01 pm »

yeah, biters wont go out of their way to attack poles and rails only take accidential damage.
however, a biter also wont go out of their way to NOT attack poles. with a big enough railsystem and enough pole lines, poles will get destroyed on a regular basis.
trains are also rather squishy, they tend to get blown up a lot.

of course. this scales with biter frequency and nest size. but here is the cruix, without strong biters i think the game is much more dull, but with higher biter settings it becomes to much work to maintain the infrastructure.
dunno. if i would play the game again (i probably will at some point) i tink i would try to find a mod to make trains invincible, too. its just not feasable to defend all the train lines with harder biter settings. the only thing that would work is to fully wall in large parts of the map, but this becomes an exessive investment of time and resources bejond a certain point of the game.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 04:34:36 pm by motorbitch »

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: June 22, 2021, 05:46:41 pm »

It does not happen that often, but considering it is the only thing that cannot be automated in a game about automation makes even very small chance too high. It would be enough to have some kind of automatic rail repair system, as right now it is impossible to automate the repair, which is the main problem IMHO. That is why I play with mods that also make resources infinite, I have walled in a decently sized area, and there is more then enough resources in it for a huge factory. I have not played vanilla since maybe v0.15.

But well, nothing is perfect, still a great game with great devs  :D And with enough complex mods even with no bitters the game is not so dull (though they do add a fine touch to the game)
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76