Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 253904 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #1110 on: June 22, 2021, 08:33:29 pm »

It does not happen that often, but considering it is the only thing that cannot be automated in a game about automation makes even very small chance too high. It would be enough to have some kind of automatic rail repair system, as right now it is impossible to automate the repair, which is the main problem IMHO. That is why I play with mods that also make resources infinite, I have walled in a decently sized area, and there is more then enough resources in it for a huge factory. I have not played vanilla since maybe v0.15.

But well, nothing is perfect, still a great game with great devs  :D And with enough complex mods even with no bitters the game is not so dull (though they do add a fine touch to the game)

Can't you just setup a drone network with extra repair kits/rails accessible to them? It's not a cheap way to get repair coverage on the rail network, but it should work.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1111 on: June 22, 2021, 10:11:25 pm »

Albeit expensive for large networks, it does work, as do several of the mods that create a train-based repair system/wagon.
I recall there being a mod that laid tracks automatically, so I imagine that would also replace destroyed tracks as well.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 23, 2021, 07:50:47 am »

yeah, biters wont go out of their way to attack poles and rails only take accidential damage.
however, a biter also wont go out of their way to NOT attack poles. with a big enough railsystem and enough pole lines, poles will get destroyed on a regular basis.
trains are also rather squishy, they tend to get blown up a lot.

of course. this scales with biter frequency and nest size. but here is the cruix, without strong biters i think the game is much more dull, but with higher biter settings it becomes to much work to maintain the infrastructure.
dunno. if i would play the game again (i probably will at some point) i tink i would try to find a mod to make trains invincible, too. its just not feasable to defend all the train lines with harder biter settings. the only thing that would work is to fully wall in large parts of the map, but this becomes an exessive investment of time and resources bejond a certain point of the game.

Rampant adds new AI and enemies. Another reason for you to try the mod.  :)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 25, 2021, 10:33:32 pm »

Sad news  :(

Bugs attack my rails without any provocation and the rampant mod options to make these immune are not working, and because they are in the "map" section, I feel like I have to restart the entire game. Syncing the mods resets the settings, so I think I'm just screwed. Unless someone who is knowledgeable with mods can help.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 25, 2021, 11:50:12 pm »

If any of the other biter-proofing mods are any indication, it looks like maybe it only applies to rails put down after the setting is toggled on? You could try one of the other mods like 'Biter-proofing' if you want the same effect through another mod. Given you were already going for it with Rampant, I wouldn't consider this to be any kind of cheating.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 26, 2021, 07:05:59 pm »

Hmmm, I think you may be right, but I'll have to wait and see something obvious to be sure.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: July 23, 2021, 02:50:18 am »

I can now say that the effects indeed only apply to newly placed buildings.

But the main reason I'm commenting again is because I've hit a point where Rampant has gotten a bit insane. It has started spawning a variant of bug that shoots electrical lasers, is insanely resistant to lasers, and somehow throws down "energy absorbing crystal pylons" after destroying buildings, which are also super resistant to lasers. After several thousands of bullets I managed to wipe out their base, but wow am I getting nervous about what other crazy stuff will spawn.

Also, space exploration + Krastorio 2 is fucking insane. The technology get's a bit weirdly paced around the space part, but the main problem is that I have to figure out a way to automate the delivery of certain items to space for research purposes. I'm also seeing concerning accounts of running out of all resources on the planet...

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: October 22, 2021, 09:50:45 am »

I can now say that the effects indeed only apply to newly placed buildings.

But the main reason I'm commenting again is because I've hit a point where Rampant has gotten a bit insane. It has started spawning a variant of bug that shoots electrical lasers, is insanely resistant to lasers, and somehow throws down "energy absorbing crystal pylons" after destroying buildings, which are also super resistant to lasers. After several thousands of bullets I managed to wipe out their base, but wow am I getting nervous about what other crazy stuff will spawn.

Also, space exploration + Krastorio 2 is fucking insane. The technology get's a bit weirdly paced around the space part, but the main problem is that I have to figure out a way to automate the delivery of certain items to space for research purposes. I'm also seeing concerning accounts of running out of all resources on the planet...

SE/K2 is intense. The tech getting weirdly paced is because the compatibility for the two isn't fully complete - there will be some oddities but it should be fully playable.

Your options for automated delivery are going to be cargo rockets at the moment, maybe delivery cannons - can't remember when those unlock. Head on up when you've got the chance and bust through what you can manually, if you haven't already. Automation of transporting items is going to come from the circuit network, using transmitters and receivers from AAI. Have inserters fill the rocket, have it pointed at space, and have it launch at full cargo. If you're not sure how to do that, the discord is a good place to look around (beware of spoilers, they're usually spoiler'd but things happen.)

As for running out of resources...do some core mining. Diminishing returns are irrelevant when you don't have the resources elsewhere. Your only concern is going to be dealing with the resources (they come out mixed) and power draw. Core mines never run out of resources.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: October 22, 2021, 03:38:12 pm »

Yeah I figured out pretty much everything you mentioned, and stopped when I reached the multiple production lines required for multiple research canisters part. I'm not familiar with circuit networks, and it took forever to automate nuclear reactors even with a guide, so I can only imagine the clusterfuck it will be to set up automated cargo rockets for all these products. And my factory on the main world is getting so huge that I would probably have to just have drones deliver more and more materials, which just doesn't feel right. So I'll just wait until my urge to play the game again outweighs my dread towards the logistics nightmare that awaits me.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: October 22, 2021, 04:16:41 pm »

Space Ex is very much a mod based around logistics problems. Pyanadon/Bods & Angels would be the more 'have a massive base' mods, from what I remember.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: October 26, 2021, 12:50:09 pm »

Space Ex is very much a mod based around logistics problems. Pyanadon/Bods & Angels would be the more 'have a massive base' mods, from what I remember.

I'd say that Angelbob's is more about managing industries with wildly different production chains; you can considerably shrink your footprint if you set up bioprocessing and take advantage of the superpowered (relative to baseline) modules.

Another feature of AB's that I find intriguing is that, because of how it has the different industries, you can get white science while ignoring entire branches... albeit with a cost in efficiency. I skipped petroleum processing entirely on one run.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: October 26, 2021, 02:23:34 pm »

One thing I love about BA is that you have dozens of problems, but throughput or resource shortage aint a single of them. Even without modules and using only the lowest tier of machines it is enough to put just few mavhines per recipe and most of the time it is enough. If it is not you can just upgrade or use modules. I also love all the options for recipes where you can choose amongst multiple recipes that are often all viable. The mod is IMHO also very well balanced, in that there is never a point where I would have nothing to do but wait for something to complete, and starting mid game there is always plenty things to choose from for what to do next.

I have finished BA belts only run, and now am playing space exploration. I always find myself in shortage of basic resources, I even went as far as to give myself +1000% mining productivity and even now I am still so short on ore I spend most of my time just waiting to get more ore so I can get more ore to be able to do anything. Plus I always feel my UPS hurting when I have to copy like 80 machines on a single recipe unless I want to be short of the result. Which is completely unlike the BA experience. I have also tried Pymods, liked them, but unfortunately my computer is too old for these (I have 40 UPS 8 hours in)...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 02:25:42 pm by Mkok »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: October 26, 2021, 05:35:28 pm »

Hmmm, I don't have to wait for resources while using the space exploration pack, but I have resorted to mass producing mines, packing them as tightly as possible on a resource deposit to maximize ore production, and using high level belts to move it all. So I guess try that if you are having trouble maintaining ore. But maybe krastorio 2 is helping a bit with that.

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: October 27, 2021, 07:02:04 am »

I put mines to output directly to chests that are going supplying the trains. I dont cover the entire deposit, but considering I get 10 times more from from I cover I imagine this should not give me less then ussual. Even with the extra productivity the mines run out just too fast for me. I am currently trying to run mostly on core miners as they produce few blue belts of ore per planet with the extra producivity, but it is just slow (I did set up several regular mining outposts, few city blocks later half of them were depleted...). Before I boosted productivity I was genuinely having issues with producing enough iron to clear out biters to expand to the next ore patch before my current patches run out. Maybe I am just too used to BA infinite ores, as I have never really played any factorio outside of BA before, just a bit of IR back in the day...

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 07:05:33 am by Mkok »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: October 27, 2021, 04:43:01 pm »

Ah, I just remembered I also use beacons filled with boosters on the mines. That makes quite the difference lol.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76