Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 253764 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #870 on: December 14, 2017, 12:14:27 pm »

I generally build a bus, but then off to the sides are a mix of well organized factory modules and retrofitted belts snaking over, under, around, and through to fit in those last minute assemblers that I forgot to leave space for...

That's how I prefer it too. First time I played, I didn't watch any videos or see any pictures so I could do my own thing. The problem was mostly scalability, and how I wasted lots of hours making designs compact without even being fully used to the game.
Last month I played for a bit and having a dedicated space for a bus makes things much more scalable, and makes building the actual factories much more fun (because I don't have to constantly fix throughput issues for each little module).
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: December 14, 2017, 12:17:38 pm »

Factorio is fun, I abandoned hte game halway through and picked it up and installed the bobs mods, with angels. I vaugely know what i am doing, and I am probably inches away from gettingthe circuitboards which require transisters after about 10-20 hours. its fun.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #872 on: December 14, 2017, 01:21:24 pm »

I liked what Bob's did to exploration and diversification, but I didn't enjoy the complexity of basic components for infrestructure.

I really want there to be a lot of more advanced resources that you have to explore for. Setting up five iron mines is one thing, building an iron mine over here, a tungsten mine there, a lithium-from-seawater plant down by the coast, and a gold mine way the heck over there, and a high-quality silicon purification plant somewhere else would be cooler.

And I mean Bob does have most of those resources so I should get into it, but I found it really tedious to have the complicated internal stages of circuit board development be represented.

Maybe once I master vanilla spacelaunches I'll try Bob's again.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: December 14, 2017, 01:56:34 pm »

I thin Exploration really isnt the most critical part of the game, since the vast majority of hte time is gonna be spent placing down and running the factories.

Angels mod kind of does that by putting down another step where ou have to purify the ore from the stuff you find in the ground into a smelt able material. End game, you can use multiple ores to make "purely" one ore ( 100% Gold) or you can sort it out to get a ratio of ores (40 Iron, 20 copper, 10 quartz, 30 uranium)

It's pretty cool, but fucking complicated.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: December 14, 2017, 07:40:17 pm »

Okay...either steam engines are bugged, or power generation was changed at some point...or I'm just an idiot.

I have an offshore pump taking water out of a pond. It's connected to a boiler loaded with coal. I connected that boiler to a second boiler, also with coal, just in case one wasn't enough. I then attached a steam engine to the second boiler, on the outgoing steam connector side of the boiler. I string some power poles to my first electric mining drill...and nothing happens. The boilers don't boil. The steam engine produces exactly zero power. The mining drill has a "not enough electricity" symbol, not a "disconnected" symbol, so everything should be hooked up properly. A quick run along my power line shows no breaks.

What am I missing here? I've never been great at Factorio, but I was at least able to cobble together a steam engine without too much undue difficulty.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: December 14, 2017, 07:55:46 pm »

Hmm. I just picked up the game myself, but I can try to help Sirus.

Is the second boiler not producing steam? It's possible you've gummed up either your boiler-to-boiler connections, or your boiler-to-engine connection, and either you've hooked up a water port to a steam port, or you've missed a pipe. For reference, the ideal ratio is 2:1 the other way around; one boiler feeds two engines, so maybe try attaching 1:1 for now, and ignore the second boiler for the time being.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: December 14, 2017, 08:35:00 pm »

While getting set up for a screenshot, I figured it out.

Turns out, I'm an idiot! Good to know. My pump and boilers were not quiiiiite aligned with each other, and thus water wasn't flowing from the pipe which explains why the boilers weren't doing anything.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 14, 2017, 09:19:49 pm »

So I just spent quite a while in a new map. Was disappointed that not only was the starting coal patch I was given really tiny it was embedded in the corner on the iron patch. Annoying, but not the end of the world. The actual end of the world? No other coal patches as far as I can tell. I took a carn and drove in every direction until I reached biters. Plenty of oil in a massive patch, but no coal.
Guess I'm starting over again. Not that I made much progress, spending so much time fiddling around with setting up trains (first time really trying to get into them). Ended up not even turning any of them on because what was the point.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: December 15, 2017, 02:45:52 am »

While getting set up for a screenshot, I figured it out.

Turns out, I'm an idiot! Good to know. My pump and boilers were not quiiiiite aligned with each other, and thus water wasn't flowing from the pipe which explains why the boilers weren't doing anything.

new boilers are weird, also they don't self connect anymore

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #880 on: December 15, 2017, 03:17:11 am »

I'm having a good time on my map set up for Dune mode. Water only at the starting location, and all desert. Sadly there have to be a few trees or else you can't build level one electrical poles and therefore can't have any power.

How do you guys build large reserves? Like, suppose I want to store 10,000 coal at a time. Should I just get a LOT of steel chests and hook them up in a row with fast inserters?

I have a fantastic coal deposit a ways out from my home base, and I want to have coal trains bring in fuel continuously.

Other things... Hmm, I want to build a turret perimiter with an ammo train kinda circling around and topping each one off. Not sure how to do that yet.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: December 15, 2017, 03:37:49 am »

lot of chest but not in a row, since a row can only discharge up to {inserter bonus} element per move, so I put them down in a rectangle with the last side matching the train station length and the depth depending on how much storage I need - a train is quite efficient a moving things so rarely more than three depth

Code: [Select]
b belt
i inserter
c chest
t train

bicicicit
bicicicit
bicicicit
bicicicit

haven't tested 0.16 trains yet so idk if they can still fit 5 inserter on certain conditions iirc they got squared off

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: December 15, 2017, 03:55:36 am »

Other things... Hmm, I want to build a turret perimiter with an ammo train kinda circling around and topping each one off. Not sure how to do that yet.
It's not particularly difficult, since you can just drag a regular belt around them and connect it to the ammo factory which you'll inevitably build.

Inserters know to limit ammo clips to 10 per gun. So provided they all have 10 ammo clips in each already, then they will only take what they need, allowing you to build a surplus theoretically.

I never really did this myself though. Too much work and I found it easier to just dump a bunch of ammo into each gun as I built them. I would replace them with lasers later anyway. Not to mention when you get robots it becomes super easy to refill anything you want without having to build a gigantic belt.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: December 15, 2017, 04:13:22 am »

Just updated after a few months away, glad uranium's a thing now, hopefully it can help me slim down the nine hundred someodd steam engines I usually have. Took a bit to get my head around steam=/=hot water, though everything's proceeding like normal now... Me being to lazy to make an automated green research line, religiously sticking to red and slowly crying as my iron stores are depleted... Already well turtled in, triple thick walls with gun turrets everywhere, going to decide which way I want the entrance to be soon.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: December 15, 2017, 07:18:19 am »

How do you guys build large reserves? Like, suppose I want to store 10,000 coal at a time. Should I just get a LOT of steel chests and hook them up in a row with fast inserters?

IIRC, each steel chest can hold 4800 coal, so 10K is just 2 chest :)
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 76