Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 253919 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #945 on: December 31, 2017, 03:44:27 pm »

here you go:

4 lanes

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

8 lanes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 31, 2017, 05:05:38 pm »

Is there a reason why you went with 8 stack inserters per wagon instead of 12? Space constraint?

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: January 01, 2018, 08:59:44 am »

space, but also 8 inserters will saturate a blue belt so there is no point. tbh fast inserters will do it *on the belt side not the wagon side*. i was just lazy when i made it. there are also many blue belts on the 8 lane output version that could be red belts without slowing it down. in any case, when i first build it i wont even have red belts let alone construction bots, and if i have blue belts i wont care anymore so i never bothered to fix it.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: January 01, 2018, 10:18:29 pm »

I always unload directly into splitters, no belts required until you get to the end.

^^^ Like that, but with rails beside it :P Also, I tend to throw in some other refinements. Too bad all my station blueprints are sitting in an anti-static bag on my shelf (on my spare harddrive in case you were wondering).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 02, 2018, 03:52:14 am »

clever!

stealing intensifies

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: January 03, 2018, 05:00:52 pm »

So I havne't gotten to try this in my singleplayer base but playing with my friends I've encountered a bit of an issue with the whole "just have the trains sit in the unloading station until there's a station that can fill it" deal. Trains will sit at the unloading station for the main bus and block trains full of plates from getting in.

On the bright side, I built a rail around the perimeter of our base and put 4 artillery wagons on it. By the time it made a complete circuit it had used all but 12 of its 400 shells.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 03, 2018, 05:48:26 pm »

Option 1: Instead of having the train sit in the unloading station while empty, send it off and have it wait at its loading station, or in the stacker in front of it.

Option 2: See Option 1.

Basically just use the "Empty" and "Full" wait conditions (or make some "Almost empty" and "Almost full" item conditions) and you're golden for most purposes. You don't even need to mess with activating/deactivating anything. Just make sure that every station's stacker can hold all the trains that are assigned to that station, and you'll never need to worry about trains being in the way again.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 03, 2018, 06:10:43 pm »

empty and full condition should have an or timeout to avoid issues, it's also useful to have a refueling depot in the list so if all station are disabled by circuit condition the train doesn't just stand where it is taking up a line

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 04, 2018, 07:10:21 am »

it's also useful to have a refueling depot in the list so if all station are disabled by circuit condition the train doesn't just stand where it is taking up a line
This just results in the issue I was having in the first place.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 04, 2018, 08:37:37 am »

weird, how many stops had your depot?

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 04, 2018, 09:13:42 am »

i kinda suck at this game, so i usually do the simple apporach: use multiple railways from my iron and copper unloading station, each connecting 2 mineral fields. each line is served by one train. the trains then just wait at the mineral field untill they are full. sure, this needs a few more trains. but they are cheap anyhow.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 04, 2018, 10:03:19 am »

weird, how many stops had your depot?
Sorry, I misread you. I haven't connected any of the stations with circuits yet, though I imagine I could have the stations output a signal of some sort once it's ready and bring the signal all the way back to the fuel depot, then have the trains only leave on circuit condition. It'd take a bit of setup but I could probably pull it off.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 04, 2018, 10:48:14 am »

sorry I didn't actually explain :D

I'm doing it like this:

train schedule:
PICK IRON
DROP IRON
DEPOT

pick iron stop has a circuit that disable the stop if the loading chests are empty
drop iron stop has a circuit that disable the stop if the unloading chest are half full
depot has no circuit but is close to the base and receive all the train all the time

there's some inefficiency by train going to the depot every loop, but there are multiple depot station across all the main base all called -DEPOT- so it's, all considered, not much, since trains will path to the closest enabled station with the right name

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 04, 2018, 11:05:23 am »

But that again leads to my initial problem. To reiterate, imagine if the unloading station is active (requesting) but the loading station is off. The train will simply go to the unloading station, realizing there is nothing there it will go to the parking lot. Once it tries to go to the next scheduled stop it won't wait for the loading station to become available and simply skip over it to go back to the unloading station etc. It's not the end of the world but it simply means there will be trains infinitely using fuel and taking up space on the track for no reason. Setting up the circuits so the train only leaves the parking space when the loading station is available would fix it I think.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 04, 2018, 11:17:51 am »

I do it like motorbitch, but for everything, not just ore. Every station has its own unique name, and two train stops only get the same name if they're part of the same station. Each necessary transport route (pickup -> drop) gets a dedicated train that has exactly two stops (a pickup stop and a dropoff stop), and waits until full or empty respectively (no other conditions). Major stations (e.g. central ore dropoff) need quite a large stacker because so many trains target them, but no station ever needs to be deactivated.

I also have a single supply train that goes around distributing fuel and collecting junk. That dude gets his own stations. I also have a bunch of construction trains, equipped for different tasks, that usually only have a single stop, at their customized resupply site, set to "wait until inactivity". They get an additional "wait forever at construction site" stop whenever there's a construction site, and they get sent back to their resupply using "Go to station" whenever they run out of the necessary construction materials. They'll come back automatically.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:24:21 am by MagmaMcFry »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 76