Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 252521 times)

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Factorio - Factory building game
« on: February 01, 2013, 12:46:49 am »

What do I do in the game ?
You will be in charge of a character that is building a factory from scratch. You will be mining resources, automating production, managing energy sources, designing the flow of items in your factory, researching technologies and defending from hostile creatures.

What is the game inspired by ?
We drew a lot of inspiration from Transport Tycoon-like games, Civilization and Minecraft.

Why should I care ?
This game is made by geeks for geeks. The core of the game is building things. You can create huge almost self sufficient factories. There are machines crafting other machines. All the stuff is travelling on transport belts. There are simple means of "programming" the robotic arms that move things around. You also have little logistic robots that transport things among designated containers. The ultimate goal of course is to have self replicating factories:)

When & where can I get it ?
Public demo is available at http://www.factorio.com (win, osx, ubuntu linux). Go and try it now.
The game successfully finished crowdfunding campaign (March 2013). The alpha version of the game can bought on our web page.

What is the current state of the game?
We plan to start greenlight campaign in the start of december 2013, we are doing all the preparations needed for this to happen. (New trailer, consistent graphics, bugfree gameplay).
The current version is alpha, but we try to fix all the reported bugs, so the stable releases (latest is 0.7.5) are quite stable.
We put some effort to make the game moddable from the start, so you are can already choose from several mods extending different parts of the game. The modding support is made in a way that mod incompatibility isn't an issue.

I want to know more
Check our website for trailer, screenshots, demo download and more information in general.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:59:13 am by kovarex »

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:03:16 am »

Well, you could tell us something about your game here...

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 01:08:31 am »

Generally the first critique given on these forums: Making your very first post a promotion is considered bad form.

Looks promising, though. The stretch goals seem a little out of place, especially since finding hidden things could be a good draw for the base game. From the description it sounds like they'd increase the longevity of a playthrough.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:34:08 am »

You should seriously consider adding more flair and information to the first post. While the picturei s nice, and the link apprechiated, most of us don't blink twice to 'oh, we have a game, buy it' type deals without any information at all.

On other hand, it seems pretty cool.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 01:40:06 am »

utility poles...and lamps. Hmmm?

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 03:08:39 am »

I'm sorry for the bad form then.

The main theme of the game is building automated factory, the player starts with (almost) bare hands and he is alone. He has to get materials manually and craft his first tools manually.
As the time progresses he starts to use machines to mine for him, transport belts to get materials where he needs to and other machines to craft for him.
The later in the game, the more and more stuff is automated, and the bigger and bigger his factory gets.

It contains concepts of Transport tycoon, Civilisation, Minecraft.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 03:10:54 am »

The main theme of the game is building automated factory, the player starts with (almost) bare hands and he is alone. He has to get materials manually and craft his first tools manually.
As the time progresses he starts to use machines to mine for him, transport belts to get materials where he needs to and other machines to craft for him.
The later in the game, the more and more stuff is automated, and the bigger and bigger his factory gets.

...So minecraft with IC2/BC/RP?

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:15:16 am »

...So minecraft with IC2/BC/RP?
Yes, the main problem with minecraft with IC2/BC/RP is, that minecraft has big limitaions as only certain chunks are active (those around player(s)), so attempts for bigger factories were not working.
In fact, I started working on Factorio when I was too frustred by the Minecraft limitations.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:16:52 am by kovarex »

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 03:31:28 am »

Chuckloading mechanics allow for hooks in Minecraft Forge that can keep massive amounts of chunks loaded, even across dimensions these days.  I use several of them, myself in Minecraft in order to keep automated systems going.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 03:42:09 am »

Chuckloading mechanics allow for hooks in Minecraft Forge that can keep massive amounts of chunks loaded, even across dimensions these days.  I use several of them, myself in Minecraft in order to keep automated systems going.
The situation may changed, but when I played Minecraft for the last time, it was possible to use hooks to keep chunks loaded, but in larger systems, the engine was not able to handle it (it was slow as hell).
But even if it was possible, Factorio is also trying to be less of a sandbox than Minecraft, you have missions with limited time and you need to balance the defense building with the factory improvements to survive.
In Factorio, the path to factory building pieces for factory is much faster, and there is big chance (we hope) that competetive duels might be meaningful.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:48:14 am by kovarex »

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 04:56:57 am »

I hope that combat is a work in progress, as run and gun with both enemies and yourself having the same speed isn't interesting nor fun. I could be in the minority here, but perhaps a different way of dealing with enemies, than just slaughtering millions of them yourself, while running backwards...

A tower defense touch? (factory has its own defenses, adding to the existing theme)
A strategy touch? (train / build mobile units that protect the factory)
A RPG touch? (development of a set amount of human/robotic defenders.)

There are many ways one could do that better.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:59:02 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 05:01:58 am »

I hope that combat is a work in progress, as run and gun with both enemies and yourself having the same speed isn't interesting nor fun. I could be in the minority here, but perhaps a different way of dealing with enemies, than just slaughtering millions of them yourself, while running backwards...

A tower defense touch? (factory has its own defenses, adding to the existing theme)
A strategy touch? (train / build mobile units that protect the factory)
A RPG touch? (development of a set amount of human/robotic defenders.)

There are many ways one could do that better.

You can be pretty sure EVERYTHING is a work in progress.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 05:14:57 am »

You can be pretty sure EVERYTHING is a work in progress.

Naturally, but i've seen quite a few 'eco-strategy' games that were - for the lack of a better term - fucked by something trivial yet constant. Be it UI or combat.

Even though my list of "to play" is packed until 2081, i still don't want Factorio (or any other non-minecraft project) to make a bad turn.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 05:28:39 am »

I agree.

It's very common that sandboxy games like this, to leave combat as an afterthought:
Like in the Anno series and Tropico 4, and minecraft for that matter!

And having melee enemies with the same speed as you is just silly(unless they come from all sides)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 05:39:27 am »

Iirc the early Anno didn't do too badly, but i agree with you agreeing that we all agree.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 76