Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 252530 times)

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 08:51:37 am »

I hope that combat is a work in progress, as run and gun with both enemies and yourself having the same speed isn't interesting nor fun. I could be in the minority here, but perhaps a different way of dealing with enemies, than just slaughtering millions of them yourself, while running backwards...

A tower defense touch? (factory has its own defenses, adding to the existing theme)
A strategy touch? (train / build mobile units that protect the factory)
A RPG touch? (development of a set amount of human/robotic defenders.)

There are many ways one could do that better.

As was said here, everything is work of progress indeed, lot of the game mechanics are just proof of concept.
The fight is dumb at the moment and we now it! It is just aspect of the game we concentrated least on.
As passionate player of Starcraft and go, I wouldn't let the game to have stupid fight in the final version (if we get to make it).

a)Tower defense touch is already there a bit, and we count on improving it
b) Automated train transportation is one of the stretch goals, mobile units (in rts way) are one of the plans for the late game we have been discussing and planning a lot.
c) One of the RPG elements is technology, as you can upgrade effectivity of existing structures, one of the stretch goal is to add RPG elements as well (something like achievements that have game effects).
 Robotic defensers is also one of the things we have been discussing a lot lately, and might be added to the game soon.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 10:16:48 am »

What is the difference between the 7euro and the 10euro tier?(other than 3euros)

Only a simple mind can be certain.

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 10:22:17 am »

The 7 euro is limited discount for the first 50 backers only. We hope it might help to accelerate the start of the campaign.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 10:31:13 am »

As was said here, everything is work of progress indeed, lot of the game mechanics are just proof of concept.
The fight is dumb at the moment and we now it! It is just aspect of the game we concentrated least on.
As passionate player of Starcraft and go, I wouldn't let the game to have stupid fight in the final version (if we get to make it).

b) Automated train transportation is one of the stretch goals, mobile units (in rts way) are one of the plans for the late game we have been discussing and planning a lot.
c) One of the RPG elements is technology, as you can upgrade effectivity of existing structures, one of the stretch goal is to add RPG elements as well (something like achievements that have game effects).
 Robotic defensers is also one of the things we have been discussing a lot lately, and might be added to the game soon.

I was just about to comment on how well this concept lends itself to defences:
producing and resupplying ammo to turrets adds a whole new element to production speed and efficiency.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 10:32:35 am »

Well, I chipped in for the lowest tier despite the fact that I will probably not play it. I hope you achieve your dream of completing this game. Cheers!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 10:33:34 am »

I was just about to comment on how well this concept lends itself to defences:
producing and resupplying ammo to turrets adds a whole new element to production speed and efficiency.

Automating ammo creation and supplying it to turrets is already part of the game, and the non-demo campaign part can be hardly finished without using these concepts.

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 10:41:22 am »

Well, I chipped in for the lowest tier despite the fact that I will probably not play it. I hope you achieve your dream of completing this game. Cheers!

Thank you for the support.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 12:37:55 pm »

Seems like you got the combat part locked down tight :)

So I'll ask something else: you mentioned some other games as inspiration, how about Spacechem? The graphics is actually quite close to the factory graphics in Spacechem.(not in a rip-off way)

And a point of constructive criticism: Be so careful of the grey.
Everything seems pretty grey, and woe if you build on gravel or rock.
You could end up building grey machines doing grey stuff to grey items on grey conveyor belts on grey rock.
Yo dawg! Heard you like grey...

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 01:39:50 pm »

On the topic of graphics, I think a more stylised look would suit this game better. The current detail level on furnaces for example makes a long chain of them look extremely ugly.

EDIT: Looking at it again, it isnt a problem of detail. The game seems to lack an unified art style. The inserters dont look like the turrets which dont look like the drills which have absolutely nothing in common with the art style of the steam engines.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:49:01 pm by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 02:22:31 pm »

Seems like you got the combat part locked down tight :)

So I'll ask something else: you mentioned some other games as inspiration, how about Spacechem? The graphics is actually quite close to the factory graphics in Spacechem.(not in a rip-off way)

And a point of constructive criticism: Be so careful of the grey.
Everything seems pretty grey, and woe if you build on gravel or rock.
You could end up building grey machines doing grey stuff to grey items on grey conveyor belts on grey rock.
Yo dawg! Heard you like grey...
I looked at the Spacechem (never heard of it till now), and the style of something is similar.
You are right with the grey, I also think, that we should force the graphic to add more contrast to the game.

On the topic of graphics, I think a more stylised look would suit this game better. The current detail level on furnaces for example makes a long chain of them look extremely ugly.

EDIT: Looking at it again, it isnt a problem of detail. The game seems to lack an unified art style. The inserters dont look like the turrets which dont look like the drills which have absolutely nothing in common with the art style of the steam engines.
The graphics of inserters and turrets is combination of random free art and something we made in paintbrush as temporary pictures until they are made properly, so we are aware that they do not match, and we are continually working on replacing the temporary graphics.

This is the way the game was looking few months ago :)

Edit: Quote from our campaign description:
Improving game graphics It is painfully obvious that a large part of the graphical content in the game is still conceptual (mining drills, turrets, boilers, vehicle etc.). Getting the funds will allow us to create reasonable graphical looks for all the elements currently in the game as well as for the elements we plan for the near future.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:36:04 pm by kovarex »

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 02:29:19 pm »

I looked at the Spacechem (never heard of it till now), and the style of something is similar.

*Development halts for 2 months while Kovarex plays Spacechem*

What have I done!?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 02:45:19 pm »

Sounds pretty cool, though I have other things I need to help more at the moment. Will you be doing anything else after the end of the campaign?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 02:50:06 pm »

Will you be doing anything else after the end of the campaign?
It depends on the result of the campaign heavily :)
If we don't manage to get the money, I will most probably return to being common employed programmer, but if this helps me to find some interesting job in the game industry, I would be open to it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:52:27 pm by kovarex »

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 12:05:00 pm »

I wish the demo was a little be more accessible. For what ever reason I suck terribly at those code things. Then to have the page change and the download start is kind of a slap in the face. Oh well.

Good luck on your campaign, it looks pretty interesting.

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 05:10:06 pm »

I don't like it as well, but s3 is paid service, and we can't risk being target of some kind of attack and be forced to pay thousands of dollars for bandwidth.
We are considering having torrent as alternative download source, would anybody use it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 76