Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 254843 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #675 on: April 20, 2016, 05:40:28 pm »

You can also get the map exchange string from the load game menu, which is something like the map seed combined with all the generation settings.
Thats what I was trying to think of, yeah.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 20, 2016, 05:46:19 pm »

doesn't look like the small island save works for me. Just says can't be loaded in the current version of Factorio (I should have the latest too, its on steam and it doesn't need to update)

I also tried the seed and didn't get what you got
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 20, 2016, 05:48:26 pm »

Oh. Huh. So that's what that is.

Well, in that case the exchange string is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #678 on: April 20, 2016, 06:32:52 pm »

Watching LPs of this it seems to me that most of your time is spent just making stuff more efficient, which the essence of that is fine, but I get the sense that the aliens don't actually have much of a presence in the mid-late game and at that point you're no longer building to survive but just for the sake of building. What do you guys who've played for a while think? I ask because I would only be inclined to play this game if the enemy was actually challenging throughout the game.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #679 on: April 20, 2016, 08:50:01 pm »

It can depend greatly on how you play.
If you're the kind that doesn't care about being low-pollution, then the biters will be making you fight tooth and nail constantly until you get up a significantly large automated defense.
If you would rather play as ecologically friendly as you can manage, then you can get by with very rare attacks, and by far the largest source of conflict will be your own attacks to retrieve alien artifacts.
Either way, there are mods that can change this greatly.

Something like RSO is good for putting more emphasis on useful/significant expansion, even into the late game.
Surviving long enough and getting that rocket up in space is no small feat most of the time.

That being said, if you don't pollute, and don't expand, there's no conflict to be had, as (last I checked) there are no timed attacks.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 20, 2016, 09:04:57 pm »

It can get pretty hard around 100% evo. You've gotta balance expansion with defence, but at that point, it's really hard to kill biters without mods or a shitton of laser turrets. If you want a real challenge, max out biter settings with RSO. You'll have to have huge defences set up, and you'll have to push hard to clear a path through the wall of alien bases to get to resources, and then work hard to defend those resources.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 21, 2016, 12:38:08 am »

I think the best improvement to alien invasions in the game would be flying enemies at high evolution factors, that can fly over walls and bodies of water, forcing you to change up your defense layouts and reinforce your automated maintenance.

edit: I'm suddenly envisioning the endgame evolving (heh) into automated tower defence a-la Creeper World 3, with you basically keeping up a constant barrage of firepower to push back the tide of enemies funneling in from the entire rest of the planet. The game could really use some more advanced turrets, like cannon and rocket turrets. Flamethrower turrets. Make the player work hard for survival against different enemies.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:45:11 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 21, 2016, 01:42:44 am »

I think the best improvement to alien invasions in the game would be flying enemies at high evolution factors, that can fly over walls and bodies of water, forcing you to change up your defense layouts and reinforce your automated maintenance.

edit: I'm suddenly envisioning the endgame evolving (heh) into automated tower defence a-la Creeper World 3, with you basically keeping up a constant barrage of firepower to push back the tide of enemies funneling in from the entire rest of the planet. The game could really use some more advanced turrets, like cannon and rocket turrets. Flamethrower turrets. Make the player work hard for survival against different enemies.

What I want is a way to automate offense. It's the only thing in the game you can't automate right now. It'd be awesome to have streams of combat robots flowing forth to fight the neverending tide of aliens.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #683 on: April 21, 2016, 05:23:18 am »

I'm a huge fan of Creeper World 3 and this is pretty much what I was hoping to get out of this game (i.e. CW3 with a more interesting economy). CW3 is a very special kind of intellectual high once you get to the point where you're solving levels left and right. AI War has been exactly what I wanted for the most part but the economy is still too simple.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 21, 2016, 05:39:46 am »

What I want is a way to automate offense. It's the only thing in the game you can't automate right now. It'd be awesome to have streams of combat robots flowing forth to fight the neverending tide of aliens.

I thought about it for a bit, and I think it would make sense to have automated offense as late-late game content. As in "after you've started launching rockets". Because you can't just tell a robot "go over there" - you need navigation over long range. This means that you're going to be launching navigation satellites up, allowing you to remotely set orders for robots on the map, that they will then navigate to.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 21, 2016, 07:04:17 am »

Yeah, attack bots would be awesome. 
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 21, 2016, 07:48:02 am »

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=23543&sid=b0cdd56fcd30238d408535afdbc0826d

they cannot be ordered around tho, but they have a wandering ai so it may be added if you ask the owner

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 21, 2016, 10:40:39 am »

Having to make 5 different turrets i have to put everywhere at my walls instead of 1 doesnt sound very exciting, tbh. if the mix of enemies is the same everywhere, there isnt any depth to having multiple types of turrets.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 21, 2016, 10:44:38 am »

This by my Factory so far...
Its zoomed out, but it should be possible to tell what I am doing so far...

EDIT:: MANY HOURS LATER

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:22:56 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 21, 2016, 10:52:44 am »

Having to make 5 different turrets i have to put everywhere at my walls instead of 1 doesnt sound very exciting, tbh. if the mix of enemies is the same everywhere, there isnt any depth to having multiple types of turrets.
See basically any tower defense game. :)

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 76