Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 255962 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #885 on: December 20, 2017, 12:33:59 am »

Been trying to get one of my last two achievements, Lazy Bastard. It's the one where you're only allowed to craft a limited amount of items for the entire game.

Holy christ it's taking one hell of a long time. I think I played around 6 hours or so and I only just reached petroleum.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 20, 2017, 09:21:55 am »

Ooh. that sounds painful, I am not jealious at all.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 20, 2017, 10:02:06 pm »

Lazy Bastard is... Well, easy. The trick is simple: Design a good general purpose factory loop, and build lots of them.

This is the loop I designed for my .13 Lazy Bastard run, and I have used it many times since. Back then I had 6 of these things producing just about everything a growing factory needs. Basically it keeps basic raw materials circulating on a belt, so wiring up a new product is simple and easy. Often you will have to shift a machine around a bit so you can pass intermediate products from machine to machine, but the basic design is made with that in mind so it involves a minimum of disruption.

All the circuit stuff described in the image is there to keep a certain amount of each input on the belt, inputs count the incoming stuff, and outputs count the outgoing. A memory cell and a few belts set with item limits take care of the rest.

I would post a blueprint, but all that stuff is on my other hard drive, and that is sitting on a shelf... Not worth the trouble to pull it down when I still have this image.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 20, 2017, 10:42:12 pm »

No one said this achievement was hard.

It just takes eons because you spend hours at the start being AFK waiting for stuff to happen.

By the time someone can build your machine they can already beat the achievement no problem.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 21, 2017, 02:06:05 am »

need to try lazy bastard. just got pro train, lazy bastard seems only a slog to the first assembly machine then it's just having some and feeding them manually

how hard are the beat game in x hours achievement?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 21, 2017, 02:14:10 am »

need to try lazy bastard. just got pro train, lazy bastard seems only a slog to the first assembly machine then it's just having some and feeding them manually

how hard are the beat game in x hours achievement?
Yeah, that's basically the challenge of lazy bastard. Once you get assembly 2 you can make basically anything except oil refineries, which need assembly 3. You can only get assembly 3 after oil though, so that's the other wall. Once I had oil up and running my game started moving really quick like it was a normal game.

I beat the hours achievements fairly easily. I didn't really try for them, got them in the same run as the train achievement. They don't seem really strict. I think just focus on getting the rocket and don't get sidetracked by efficiency or perfect ratios and you'll be good. Also a lot of manually feeding machines.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 21, 2017, 10:43:21 am »

It just takes eons because you spend hours at the start being AFK waiting for stuff to happen.

By the time someone can build your machine they can already beat the achievement no problem.

You are doing something wrong. <2 hours of constant activity gets me to automated red science (with AM2s of course). The trick is to calculate the minimum iron/copper needed to get an AM1, and mine just that much. From there AM2 is a short hop, and then things can really get going. Honestly, the biggest slog is mining enough coal, but if there are many trees nearby you can greatly reduce that time by using wood. Trees can be chopped at a decent rate even without a pickaxe, and each one you cut reduces your coal mining time by a good bit. Any time spent AFK just makes the beginning longer.

I'm at ~9 hours on my current run, and I could have built that contraption hours ago. I wasted most of that time fiddling with belt balancers and building a permanent belt+inserter factory.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 22, 2017, 09:31:32 am »

I never actually built a train until yesterday.

Me and another steam friend got onto a server, and in under 90 minutes we had assembled gods bowl of spaghetti, which built a train I promptly put in a tiny fucked up ciruclar track that looked like it had a stop on one end but didnt.

It was worth messing up my Bob& Angels mods save, to be honest.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 24, 2017, 01:38:20 am »

So 0.16 added artillery and artillery trains.

The artillery turrets can't be manually operated, but the artillery wagons can.

These things are obscene. They're almost identical to the Mavor from SupCom.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They have the same fire rate as it for one. They are laser accurate, have incredible range, will instagib nests, and have unlimited tech that increases their range and damage so you could end up with mavors that can nuke the entire map.

Also they added nuclear fuel cells as an upgrade from jet fuel. These nuclear fuel cells provide Back to the Future levels of power and acceleration. So you can make your artillery train move at hyperspeed if you want.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 24, 2017, 01:40:11 am »

Well, they provide Back to the Future levels of power... for one second, having 1.21 gigawatt-seconds of power in 'em. This also gives them that much power per stack, since they only stack up to 1 (!!). Very useful for trains, however, given that trains can hold 3 stacks of whatever at one time and, yes, they do indeed give you ludicrous speed.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 24, 2017, 04:32:43 am »

Hello everyone, I am planning on hosting a .16 server and am wondering if any fellow Bay12 members would be interested. (I do plan on hosting with mods so please let me know mod preference)

A few of the mods I am thinking of having.
Air filtering
Aircraft (maybe it has a crash bug that might be a deal breaker)
auto research
Bio industries
some of Bobs mods ( at least the inserters)
Bottleneck
Crafting Speed Research
EvoGUI
Lighted Electric Poles +
FARL
Honk
Natural Evolution (at least buildings)
Rampant
robotarmy
Squeak through
Warehousing
Factorissimo2 ( hopefully Magma will have it ready soon [but getting well is more important])
YARM

other mods that I have seen, but not sure about.
Factorio DrugLab
Geothermal
Loot Chest+
FTweaks
Endgame Combat
Auto Designate
Black Market

thanks for reading and let me know what you think.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 24, 2017, 04:39:33 am »

Black Market is insanely, hideously broken and I straight up leave it out in my most recent runs

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #897 on: December 24, 2017, 11:20:52 am »

I'm interested! I just got Factorio for GiglameshDespair and we've been wanting to play together.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 24, 2017, 11:24:20 am »

Personally I'd prefer to not have to mess around with too many mods to start with.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: December 24, 2017, 11:28:53 am »

Black Market is insanely, hideously broken and I straight up leave it out in my most recent runs
thanks for letting me know. (could you tell me how it is broken? I may want to mess around with it in singleplayer)
I'm interested! I just got Factorio for GiglameshDespair and we've been wanting to play together.
you were one of the first people on steam I planned on asking for interest.

Personally I'd prefer to not have to mess around with too many mods to start with.
that is not a problem, if it is your first time playing we can keep the list small or run vanilla.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 76