Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 252544 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #990 on: February 28, 2019, 09:13:05 pm »

Assuming you mass produce bots at all. I hate bot factories, so boring compared to belt factories.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #991 on: February 28, 2019, 11:21:57 pm »

I try to avoid bot-factories about 50% of the time. I like the modularness of them, but it usually ends up less satisfying to me.

As for importance of placement on first pass, obviously that's not critical.
But also keep in mind that when your labor force is a couple magnitudes larger than solo, the mistakes are greatly reduced in impact, since there's always someone else that will look over your work, sooner than later the larger the game.

... This has definitely been a turn-off for me more often than not, because it's often me doing the fixing, and often fixing the same problem in different places.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: March 01, 2019, 12:11:51 am »

Your labor force would be a few magnitudes bigger with some construction bots.

Honestly, bots can't replace belts.  They suck at being belts.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 01, 2019, 05:46:47 am »

Assuming you mass produce bots at all. I hate bot factories, so boring compared to belt factories.

You don't use them in place of belts or trains, they're bad at that.  You make infinite construction bots so that you can build a tileable circuits blueprint and copy/paste it.  Then the bots take care of it in a matter of minutes instead of you having to place a few thousand factories manually like a pleb.

You also make a few thousand logistics bots just to keep yourself supplied with the stuff needed to create outposts.  Fuck running around gathering the stuff myself when flying robots are an option.  Other than that, they can be worthwhile for rapidly separating items if you're running sushi belts or mixed train carriages for whatever reason.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 12, 2019, 12:37:03 am »

Arg - trying for the "launch rocket in 15 hours" speed run achievement. Rich world. Things going pretty well - researched the launchpad tech with a full hour remaining... then discovered, to my horror, that I was desperately short of blue circuits - it took all the way to ~10 minutes left before I had enough to build the rocket port.

Still not necessarily a problem, as I'd been stockpiling rocket parts for quite some time... but apparently not enough. Ran out of steam (rocket control units, to be precise) about 50% through the rocket with about 5 minutes left.

I've got save games going a way back, so I'm going to revert back and prioritize blue circuit production. I feel confident I should be able to pull off a win without having to start over from scratch.

That said, I have absolutely no idea how people manage to launch in 8 hours - that sounds like black magic to me.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 12, 2019, 01:55:22 am »

I've seen one of the 3 hours run, the amount of micro at start is impressive, they also use a lot of the stack manipulation shortcuts to keep producers queues up. and the gist up until mid-game is that the character is the most efficient logistic tool you have

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 12, 2019, 10:51:43 am »

Just throw 156 simultaneous players at it, that rocket'll be up in no time.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 25, 2019, 12:52:18 am »

Got this recently, from the demo I got the idea biters would be attacking in waves every night but I've played ~5 hours in the full game and they haven't bothered me at all.  Aside passively defending their nests.  Is that... normal?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 25, 2019, 01:04:48 am »

Got this recently, from the demo I got the idea biters would be attacking in waves every night but I've played ~5 hours in the full game and they haven't bothered me at all.  Aside passively defending their nests.  Is that... normal?

It can be. If you've built radar, you can see if any spawners are in polluted chunks yet; they need to absorb pollution to spawn attack waves.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 25, 2019, 09:54:36 am »

Ohhhhhh that would make sense, I've polluted a lot but its contained to a small area.  I set up a little radar outpost to my northeast and its seen some disturbing blips, was wondering why they didn't come say hi.

I should be ready for them now.  I have an automated ammo producer, which connects to a huge conveyor belt that loops infinitely around the base, with inserters+gun turrets at regular intervals (so their ranges overlap but just a little).  Based on what I've seen the system should hold up... provided no one turret gets hit with a huge swarm.  There are almost no natural choke points near me, I was going to wall but a perimeter wall is looking real expensive at this point.

Edit: My map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:56:39 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: April 25, 2019, 10:30:23 am »

You should upgrade to the experimental version - .17 has a number of excellent user interface improvements (and you only occasionally get bugs where biters evolve 16x faster than they should!).

Edit: as an update to my last post, I did, in fact, manage to launch under 15 hours - the rocket flew off the top of the map with an entire 40 seconds to spare.  :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:47:37 am by AlStar »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1001 on: April 25, 2019, 03:32:58 pm »

If you'd like an accelerated timeline for conflict, EnigmaticHat, reduce/remove the "starting area" when setting up map gen.
It's basically an enemy exclusion zone to allow you to get established before coming into direct conflict.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 25, 2019, 03:48:05 pm »

biters
On the map, click on the red square on the upper-right, and it will show you where your pollution cloud expands.
IIRC, the red pollution display blinks on biters camps that are currently absorbing pollution and will send enemy waves.

About building a perimeter wall and it being expensive : It basically only takes Stone from your resources (and electricity), which is not something necessary for your starting science and buildings, so you can easily set up a furnace + assembler to get some walls built ;)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: April 28, 2019, 09:00:08 pm »

I've found that trying to transport stuff between factories results in a hopeless jumble of conveyor belts, making it much easier to simply have input and output chests and ferry things between them yourself.  But as the number of them goes it gets exponentially more annoying to remember what needs what especially since unlike other games of this type you can't just put a sign over a chest.

So I went after logistics robots... only to discover that apparently they only deliver items to the player?  And to have them actually deliver stuff, you need to get 500 yellow science packs?  WTF.

I'm going to come back to this game a different day when I'm not super frustrated, but I think I might be permanently done with it.  Too much grinding, too much waiting, too much trying to fit things into tiny spaces.  Its one thing to require the player to build a factory to do research, its quite another to have 8 blue assembling machines churning out green science packs only to spend 50% of my time twiddling my thumbs because I have a massive overabundance of everything and my only bottleneck is tech.

Edit: I'm not trying to start an argument, like I said I'll come another time and see if I still feel this way
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:07:52 pm by EnigmaticHat »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 28, 2019, 09:27:39 pm »

If you got to logistic bots, you should also have access to construction bots.  Its probably salvageable.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 76