Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 253504 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #1050 on: May 13, 2019, 12:30:51 pm »

So I'm definitely getting this game, the only question is when. My biggest worry is that if I get it now and play it to death, I'm not going to feel like playing it when it's finished and has a ton more content. Alleviate my fears or cement them. I want to enjoy the final product.
You're getting a final product right now, they might add a bit before release but the game has content from beginning to end.

I will say right now Factorio is a bit... it does one thing really well (which is setting up conveyor belts and other systems to fuel a giant factory) and you either like that or you don't.  If that grabs your interest there's enough content to keep you playing indefinitely.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: May 13, 2019, 02:43:10 pm »

I will say right now Factorio is a bit... it does one thing really well (which is setting up conveyor belts and other systems to fuel a giant factory) and you either like that or you don't.  If that grabs your interest there's enough content to keep you playing indefinitely.

You could even subdivide that further and say it's a very data-dense factory simulator. There are various Minecraft permutations that do the broad strokes of what Factorio does in a more casual way, of which Evospace is probably at the far end of the data sparsity spectrum. Factorio is as much about the numbers as the map, and it gives you all the global numbers in an accessible way so you can optimize everything as finely as you wish.

In that sense, then, if maximizing your production throughput is fun (and it can be), Factorio's awesome. If all you want to do is string machines together, other games do that and other things.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: May 19, 2019, 02:56:58 pm »

So I'm definitely getting this game, the only question is when. My biggest worry is that if I get it now and play it to death, I'm not going to feel like playing it when it's finished and has a ton more content. Alleviate my fears or cement them. I want to enjoy the final product.

I'd say it's absolutely worth it now (or at your earliest convenient sale) - I doubt they'll be adding in any new content (other than maybe some small 'convenience' things) and it's great fun, very stable and does what it set out to do. I don't think it'll be one of those games that you regret getting burnt out on because update XYZ added all the stuff you were hoping for.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: May 19, 2019, 03:15:19 pm »

Yeah, vanilla Factorio is pretty much content-complete by now. But if you want more content, check out mods once you've finished vanilla. There are already thousands of mods out there, made easy by the amazing modding API.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: May 19, 2019, 04:14:03 pm »

Yep this is fun  :D

Now I got a couple of questions.

1) Does the campaign end with the building of the plane, or did I miss something? Because the amount of research available in free play was like having a bomb dropped on me.

2) What are the best mods?

3) The bugs seem a bit too docile. and the resources a bit too convenient. Does it ramp up in difficulty, and does everyone have their own preferred map gen tweaks?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: May 19, 2019, 04:47:16 pm »

The last I played, the difficulty of your map was highly dependent on whether you spawned in a forest or a desert. Since foliage consumes pollution, starting in the forest makes the bugs a non-issue.

Regardless though, the game isn't all that difficult - I'd try tweaking pollution absorption modifier down to about half and slightly increasing the evolution rate however you'd like. As a newer player that should keep you on your toes!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: May 19, 2019, 04:59:23 pm »

1) Does the campaign end with the building of the plane, or did I miss something? Because the amount of research available in free play was like having a bomb dropped on me.

3) The bugs seem a bit too docile. and the resources a bit too convenient. Does it ramp up in difficulty, and does everyone have their own preferred map gen tweaks?

1) The campaign ends there, you can now play freeplay. There are some mini-tutorials that pop up once you reach the appropriate research, for those technologies that you can't just understand from the descriptions and tooltips.

2) There are no ratings on the ingame mod browser or mods.factorio.com, but you can sort by most downloaded and that should roughly correlate to 'best'-ness. I recommend not using any mods for your first playthrough.

3a) In freeplay, biters evolve from pollution, and pollution clouds are converted into biters, which means that the enemy grows stronger at the same pace as your factory.

3b) The default map gen settings are a great balance for all playstyles, so you don't need to change them until your first win. Then once you know your playstyle you'll know what you want to change.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 05:02:33 pm by MagmaMcFry »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: May 19, 2019, 05:28:29 pm »

As far as QOL mods go, I quite like Bottleneck (shows whether machines are working, and if not why not, at a glance) and Helmod (production line planner, very useful for getting ratios right). There's also FNEI (which allows you to search items and see what is required to make them), but without a complicated expansion mod everything's relatively simple to keep track of so it's not required, and HandyHands (automatically queues making items on your quickbar), but that easily leads to bad habits. Whatever the mod is that allows you to place things across almost the entire screen is also popular, but I find it too much like cheating for my liking, along with Squeak Through (allows you to move between buildings you normally can't), but I haven't found that too bad.

If you were looking for something to make the game more complicated (which I wouldn't advise until you are very comfortable with the vanilla stuff), then there are three main mod sets: Angel's mods, Bob's mods, and Pyanodon's mods. Each are a set of mods each made by the same person, not just a single mod, so you can leave out specific bits you don't like.

Angel's and Bob's mods are frequently used together (and are afaik designed to be at this point), with Bob's adding complexity in intermediary and finished products (including adding a bunch more tiers of assemblers, belts, and modules, with the higher tier modules being OP to the point of having an option to disable them) and Angel's adding complexity in the ore to plate chain, with completely redone ores which each can be refined into up to 5 or 6 types of plate each (with a lot of overlap).

Pyanodon's mods I have very little experience with, but they are not compatible with either of the other sets as far as I am aware, but doing similar things in a different way.

There are also a lot of other useful mods, but almost all of those are probably best found by asking yourself which parts of the game you want some sort of help with and then doing some more targeted research (for example, if you want laying long sections of rail track to be easier then look into FARL).

The bugs do get harder as time and progression go on. There's a hidden "evolution factor" that increases with time, pollution being absorbed by spawners, and spawner kills that makes the spawners start making higher tiers of enemies, and as your factory gets bigger you'll make more and more pollution, which will eventually reach spawners which will make more and more bugs, The attacks can still be mostly circumvented by preemptively attacking spawners that are near your pollution cloud, but by doing so you'll still be increasing the evolution and they'll also slowly spread back into the cleared area. All of that said they are designed to be a problem of making sure you have the capability to repel attacks set up than an existential threat, so it usually takes a few things going wrong in a row to cause significant damage to a factory and losing an entire game to them is relatively rare (unless you turn the settings way up).

You can try turning the resource settings down (if you aren't already using the 0.17 experimental versions then that has changed how the sliders work to be properly independent of each other), and if that doesn't give the results you want then look into Resource Spawner Overhaul which changes the distribution method, has a much sparser default setting, and allows better fine tuning.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: May 19, 2019, 11:19:21 pm »

I am stuck on trains. Just can't figure it out. I'm trying to make a branch for stone like I did for iron, but it's only letting me place the train stop in one spot. Signals do not change this.

https://imgur.com/a/0RDWI7E

I want to place the train stop at the end of the branch.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: May 20, 2019, 02:13:44 am »

I am stuck on trains. Just can't figure it out. I'm trying to make a branch for stone like I did for iron, but it's only letting me place the train stop in one spot. Signals do not change this.

https://imgur.com/a/0RDWI7E

I want to place the train stop at the end of the branch.

I believe that you need to have the rail running straight North/South or East/West; not the Northwest/Southeast that it currently is going. Note how you can place the stop only on the bit of track that is going North/South

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: May 20, 2019, 07:00:14 am »

biters are tuned to your rate of expansion, not current expansion. I tried the opening of a speedrunner (10 coal drill and burner for each resource type within like 5 minutes or so of play) and damn them biters pushed back hard, forest or not.

on more esplorative and relaxed plays some turret in a wall are usually enough for a long time, especially if investing in efficiency and solar

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: May 21, 2019, 08:26:45 am »

Biters are tied to:

1. Time
2. Pollution
3. Number of nests killed.

So yes, they're tied to your current expansion (as pollution generation correlates directly with current expansion), it's just that expanding hard and fast will end up biting you quicker.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1062 on: May 21, 2019, 01:10:40 pm »

It took me hours of exploring just to find ONE dang oil field and it's so far away I've got to build a train to get the crude back home

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: May 21, 2019, 04:23:35 pm »

is that 0.17? map fairness was one of the topic of improvement if you're there Def's are going to be interested in your map seed

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: May 22, 2019, 12:29:30 am »

So as iron and coal dry up and I'm faced with less and less room to weave conveyors through, I am faced with either making an ever-expanding train network, or hauling all the good shit with me via vehicle and making a far more tidy base. Who has tried both and how much success have you had with each? I feel the robots make making a new base significantly easier.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 76