Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 252561 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #1065 on: May 22, 2019, 12:45:18 am »

Robots and blueprints make new bases much easier to establish, of course.
I would think that an ever-expanding train network should be one of your primary goals.
After you've started expanding to train distances, e.g. past the starting area on medium, you should definitely make sure your primary base is designed to accommodate a modestly efficient throughput for a train network.

Personally, I would aim for something as reasonably spread apart as possible so that I don't run into the overly-crowded issue.
Usually this happens somewhere around getting green science automated. Definitely before I start shipping in anything from a train.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 06:07:02 pm by n9103 »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1066 on: May 31, 2019, 12:05:57 pm »

is that 0.17? map fairness was one of the topic of improvement if you're there Def's are going to be interested in your map seed
Nah, it's 0.16
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:07:31 pm by Parsely »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1067 on: June 04, 2019, 12:47:07 pm »

One day I aught to build a train towns approach.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: August 14, 2020, 05:35:42 pm »

Necroing a year later to point out that Factorio has just been released from Early Access.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: August 14, 2020, 06:49:55 pm »

Version 0.18 to 1.0.. Uh. I guess. They must be low on funding or something. Or just ready to move on to other projects.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 14, 2020, 06:59:17 pm »

Version 0.18 to 1.0.. Uh. I guess.

version numbering is largely arbitrary but okay.

Either way I'd have considered the game more-or-less done a few versions ago.  And its a good thing to actually see an early access game get finished for once.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:32:45 pm by MrRoboto75 »
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: August 14, 2020, 07:35:56 pm »

Version 0.18 to 1.0.. Uh. I guess. They must be low on funding or something. Or just ready to move on to other projects.

Numbering like that is perfectly normal for software versioning.

If they wanted to do the fairly standard practice of an early release when things really aren't quite finished and limp along in development until they give up, they probably could've done it two years ago... Even a year ago I would've said it was perfectly fine for a prime time release.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 14, 2020, 09:40:16 pm »

Are you trolling, or have you just never played Factorio?

Anyways, it's nice to see it officially 1.0, although it's felt like 1.0 for a while. From what they've said previously, they're going to keep working on the game, adding new features and whatnot, now that the optimization/QoL/bugfixing stuff is all out of the way. Always nice to see an early access success regardless!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: August 14, 2020, 10:34:26 pm »

nothing like Minecraft, which went from Beta 1.8 to 1.0, or KSP, which went from beta 0.25 to beta 0.90 to 1.0, or Dwarf Fortress, which has made jumps from 0.23 to 0.27 or 0.28 to 0.31 or 0.31 to 0.34 or 0.34 to 0.40 or 0.40 to 0.42 or 0.44 to 0.47, or...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: August 14, 2020, 10:58:11 pm »

nothing like Minecraft, which went from Beta 1.8 to 1.0, or KSP, which went from beta 0.25 to beta 0.90 to 1.0, or Dwarf Fortress, which has made jumps from 0.23 to 0.27 or 0.28 to 0.31 or 0.31 to 0.34 or 0.34 to 0.40 or 0.40 to 0.42 or 0.44 to 0.47, or...

Tarn actually uses version numbering as a percentage of completion (and does yearly to bi yearly major updates). Minecraft numbering is stupid. KSP was figuring out their real scope as they went, since making games was brand new to that company.

Are you trolling, or have you just never played Factorio?

No, I'm not trolling. I haven't kept close track of their roadmap and also haven't put dozens of hours into a version since probably 0.16 or 0.15.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 10:59:56 pm by BigD145 »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: August 15, 2020, 02:15:35 pm »

This is quite possibly the worst software versioning take I've ever seen
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 15, 2020, 03:33:13 pm »

Yes, Minecraft's versioning was stupid. Meanwhile, Factorio's is industry standard, so I'm not sure what your complaint is.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: August 15, 2020, 04:10:00 pm »

0.18 means there were 18 pre-release versions before they released the 'publish' version of 1.0.

Seems right to me. Used to be unusual for games to release to the public before 1.0, but it's incredibly common these days.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: August 15, 2020, 08:01:56 pm »

Yeah, nothing surprising that a dev decides to switch up the numbers because it suits them.

On more factorio related notes, holy crap going back into this after a couple of years (and a Satisfactory playtrough inbetween) really highlights some QoL featers that are still suprisingly absent from vanilla (not sure if mods fix this), like to-do lists and nice summaries of production per minute and similar. Nothing major, but it requires some readjustment. Plus the whole thing with the grabbers and the belts is really messing with me right now. Gosh getting used to a certain very similar way of doing things really messes with you when you go for something almost the same but just slightly different.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1079 on: August 16, 2020, 11:51:01 am »

nice summaries of production per minute
Pressing p will give you this, and has been around for many versions.
An in-game to-do list seems a little over the top, but there's probably a notes mod.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 76