Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 3220 times)

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
Newbie question
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:46:37 pm »

Is there any difference between graphic sets and tilesets, other than the colors available to you?
I'm thinking about making a graphics set, but only if it allows greater control over the visuals. For example: you can edit the letter 's' to look like a snake, but that means all text readouts will show snakes instead of letters. Would editing a graphics set allow me to have separate tiles for animals and letters?

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 08:59:01 am »

Is there any difference between graphic sets and tilesets, other than the colors available to you?
I'm thinking about making a graphics set, but only if it allows greater control over the visuals. For example: you can edit the letter 's' to look like a snake, but that means all text readouts will show snakes instead of letters. Would editing a graphics set allow me to have separate tiles for animals and letters?
Short answer: Yes, exactly.
Long answer:
"Tileset" is just the tileset, used to draw anything in the game.
"Graphic set" is a tileset bundled with creature graphics (which use separate images and text files to assign tiles to creatures) and possibly other raw changes. If you want to get started just look at your raw/graphics folder for examples. Or just download an established graphic set and look at those files.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:36:53 pm »

Also, take a look at the Text Will Be Text thread for an even more flexible option.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 08:16:49 pm »

Yeah you can't use 2 tilesets without text will be text. Which runs through dfhack and is updated to 40_08 at the moment. Do snakes not show up as a snake in your tileset? I'm pretty sure they are in the raw/graphics folder depending on whos mod you use.

You'll use the "text" tileset for your fonts
And the graphics one with your snake for your graphics_font in init.txt, it may take a little bit to understand some of the stuff. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Tilesets#How_colors_other_than_white_and_magenta_work will be useful.