Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Astronautics: Alpha demo released!  (Read 9984 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Astronautics: Alpha demo released!
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2013, 09:15:29 am »

Demo's out! Check the OP for the download link.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2013, 10:45:14 am »

Sweet, will download when I get home.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2013, 11:36:29 am »

Apparently the .rar contains a setup. A setup that doesn't actually let you decide where to install, nor tells you where it installed it.

EDIT: Or it installs it where it already is, but sorta not. I didn't see anything change. Trying to start it from the Astronautics.application inside Astronautics_1_0_0_6 tells me that is installed from the one in just Astronautics, but trying to run it from there doesn't work.
EDIT2: Reinstalling doesn't work either.
EDIT3: Why is the Astronautics.application even in the Astronautics_1_0_0_6 folder? It seems to be set to act as if it was sitting in Astronautics, least that's what the error log tells me.
EDIT4: And Astronautics.application seems to do the exact same thing as setup.exe.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:54:50 am by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2013, 11:53:52 am »

Mine installed to desktop, which was where the folder I unrared it to was.

Avast! sandboxed the shit out of the installation though, and I didn't think it'd let it install there for a bit... but it worked.

As for the building your own ship mechanic, it's interesting, but some sort of "test this setup" mode would be appreciated. Launched a few times without main thrust working... which pretty much screws you up. :(

Nice little game though. :)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2013, 08:55:20 pm »

Apparently the .rar contains a setup. A setup that doesn't actually let you decide where to install, nor tells you where it installed it.

EDIT: Or it installs it where it already is, but sorta not. I didn't see anything change. Trying to start it from the Astronautics.application inside Astronautics_1_0_0_6 tells me that is installed from the one in just Astronautics, but trying to run it from there doesn't work.
EDIT2: Reinstalling doesn't work either.
EDIT3: Why is the Astronautics.application even in the Astronautics_1_0_0_6 folder? It seems to be set to act as if it was sitting in Astronautics, least that's what the error log tells me.
EDIT4: And Astronautics.application seems to do the exact same thing as setup.exe.

There's not much I can do about the installation at the moment. It's one of the drawbacks of using XNA. It sets up it's own installer so it can download the appropriate frameworks if they're not installed on your computer. Unfortunately I could find no way for it to allow you to choose your own installation folder and I spent a great deal of time looking.

Maybe for future versions I'll be able to figure something out.

As for the folder, it should create a file on the desktop that you can double click to start the game. You should be able to delete the extracted folder.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:58:12 pm by Lemunde »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2013, 09:27:44 pm »

This is going to sound really dumb, but is there any way you could label the exhaust side of the thrusters? That really kept throwing me off.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2013, 02:41:10 am »

This is going to sound really dumb, but is there any way you could label the exhaust side of the thrusters? That really kept throwing me off.

That sounds reasonable. I can either do it the lazy way and modify the art or I can add something to the editor that shows where the business end of the component is. There's a few similar things I need to add to the editor too. Probably the next thing I'll add is a box at the bottom right that shows details of the specific component you want to add like thrust power, damage, health, etc...

I posted this to my facebook page when I released the demo but I'll post it here too to help clear some things up.

You will need winrar or 7zip to extract it. All other required files should be automatically downloaded with the installation. If not, please let me know and I'll make sure it's fixed for the next release.

Please keep in mind this is an alpha demo. Many features have not yet been implemented, some are incomplete and bugs are to be expected. Also I have not yet created any instructions on how to play the game so you pretty much have to figure stuff out on your own. Most of the stuff should be pretty self explanatory but I'm sure there's at least a few things that could do with some explaining. Like how items have to be deposited in the station's primary hold before they can be used for construction.

All feedback will be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to hearing what every one thinks. Enjoy the demo!

I'm also thinking about having a separate "no-install" download where all you have to do is extract the file and click the .exe to run the game. The drawbacks are it's not as optimized as the version that goes through the "publish" process and there's no automatic downloading of frameworks you might be missing. But if you're not a fan of the installer version it might be the way to go.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:53:53 am by Lemunde »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2013, 09:10:47 pm »

I think I found a way to make a proper installer for Astronautics, with all the folder options and everything. I'll see if I can get it working and get a new version uploaded when I get home from work. The new version will also have some bug fixes as well as some optimizations to help it run smoother on older systems (i.e. my netbook).

The bad news is that you may have to uninstall the previous version and possibly lose your save.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:12:26 pm by Lemunde »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2013, 09:10:14 pm »

Okay, got the installer working. It's just like any other installer you've ever used. Click setup, follow the instructions, choose the installation folder, play. It's not quite ready to upload yet as I'm also working on a readme file that has gameplay instructions and stuff. It's getting pretty late so I'll have to finish it up tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]