Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Parties: worth it?  (Read 7705 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: Parties: worth it?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 04:49:00 pm »

Parties eat your workforce, preventing your dwarves from making meaningful contributions to society.  The happiness boost isn't worth the time you'll lose, especially when high-quality furniture and the occasional waterfall do the same thing, but better.  Plus, it'll all be for naught when the friendships they've made turn every misfortune into a full-fledged tantrum spiral.  The only real benefit is the boost to social skills.

Unfortunately, it can be almost impossible to totally prevent parties, unless you religiously dedicate yourself to micromanagement.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 09:12:41 pm »

I usually start out by designating a meeting hall.  Then, when my fort's been going for a while and is pretty much set up, I put a statue in the middle of it and make that a meeting area.

The parties rarely affect me at that point because there's not much left to do, and there's so much food and cloth that the workers not making any is a good thing.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 10:20:31 pm »

I like building multi-generation forts, and there all parties will be organised and attended by children (because they're somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the population). Everyone who grows up has survived ten years of solid partying and doesn't need any more.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 12:16:16 pm »

Unfortunately, it can be almost impossible to totally prevent parties, unless you religiously dedicate yourself to micromanagement.

Though it does require testing, I believe I have a method to stop parties. Check out my post in the DFHack thread and Warmist's reply.

To summarize:

The siren.lua script in the DFHack utility will stop parties in progress (as well as wake sleeping units and cancel all breaks), but it gives negative thoughts.

Examining the code, I found the part which stops parties and simplified it:
Code: [Select]
-- Stop parties
for _,v in ipairs(df.global.ui.parties) do
    v.timer = 0
end

This does not add a negative thought. It merely shortens the duration of all parties to "0", so they end immediately. As I said, it needs testing. But I believe this should work as a separate lua script in DFHack. (Let's call it 'partycancel.lua'.)

As for the problem of "religiously dedicating oneself to micromanagement", I may have a solution to that as well. It seems zwei is considering adding to SoundSense the ability to call an external DFHack lua script via "dfhack-run". If this is added, it would be a simple matter to call said 'partycancel.lua' script after SoundSense recognizes a party logPattern such as:

"They have organized a wedding reception at (.+)\."
"The (.+) has organized a party at (.+)\."

Specifically, it might soon be possible to tell SoundSense to call "dfhack-run partycancel.lua" every time it detects that a party has started. This would involve using notepad to change a few lines in the social.xml file (or replacing it with a modded version) in the "social" folder inside the soundpack.zip file for SoundSense. Normally, that file tells SoundSense to play a sound to announce parties.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:25:40 pm by Thundercraft »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 01:26:45 pm »

Parties are Fun!
They are indeed. Of course, you can always cancel the party by turning off the meeting area.

I like building multi-generation forts, and there all parties will be organised and attended by children (because they're somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the population). Everyone who grows up has survived ten years of solid partying and doesn't need any more.
Surprisingly, much like college, depending on the college.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 01:33:41 pm »

Stopping parties completely is easy: don't designate any meeting area on any object.  Use the zone menu and define an area, even just one tile, and they'll gather but never party.
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 02:19:48 pm »

The dwarves that attend my parties tend to mostly be nobles and peasants. My warriors are training, my legendary professionals are busy, and my farmers are farming, cooking, and brewing.

So, IF I have a tantrum spiral, its going to be peasants and children who die. My professionals might be a little sad that an aquaintence died, but will otherwise be fine. And lets be honest, I only need peasants for hauling, and nobles are disposable. I'll just have a lot of extra food, an undaunted military, and a slightly upset armorsmith who will have to deal with a little clutter for a while.

Conclusion, 80% loss of population might affect 10% of productivity. The only real loss is extras for conscription, medical experiments, and other fun. Besides, I haven't had a tantrum spiral, that I didn't purposely cause, in a very long time.

And in the wisdom of loudwispers, doors. If an important dwarf were to tantrum, I'll just lock him in a room. Only my dining hall or barracks would be a truely dangerous place.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 11:42:44 am »

Stopping a party that is already happening is even easier. Just check which furniture piece they are partying at (party at statue for example) and designate it to be deconstructed. Party ends. Then cancel deconstructing.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 01:13:46 pm »

Good to know. But that would require a bit of diligence and micromanagement.
So the method backflip mentions sounds preferable.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:26:32 pm by Thundercraft »

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 01:39:56 pm »

Stopping parties completely is easy: don't designate any meeting area on any object.  Use the zone menu and define an area, even just one tile, and they'll gather but never party.

Heh.  When I first started playing I remember people talking about the horrors of parties but could never figure out why I never had one, even with a 200 idle dwarf population.  For the longest time I didn't even know that you could designate a meatinghall via buildings.

Oh and I view parties as an added level of difficulty and an incentive to try and keep everyone relatively safe.  Sure it can be fun to off the mayor or baron every time they mandate 3 large gems followed by 2 large gems followed by 3 large gems followed by...you get the point.  And yes it would be fun to drop them ~ 60 stories into the main zoo sending their severed limbs flying in every direction, or dumping large gems on their heads until they-erm getting to the point.  Yes that would be really fun, but you have to take into account that they are friends with everybody and do you really hate them enough to start another damned tantrum spiral? 
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 02:26:24 pm »

Oh and I view parties as an added level of difficulty and an incentive to try and keep everyone relatively safe.

That incentive was probably the general idea behind thoughts and tantrums in the first place. And I can appreciate such an incentive. However, it seems just a tad overblown or sensitive, don't you think? Toady himself admitted tantrums should probably be toned down a bit in the February DF Talk. Right now it doesn't take much in terms of unpleasant thoughts or deaths to trigger a chain reaction to assured self-destruction.

Some people can really appreciate extremely difficult game challenges and lots of !fun!, while some might be able to appreciate it better in moderation. There are different ways of enjoying Dwarf Fortress, as reading the forums clearly indicate. I've even read where someone modded their game to completely prevent tantrums and claim that, as a result, it was so much more enjoyable.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:29:55 pm by Thundercraft »

Deus Morti

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2013, 03:15:32 pm »

Segregation is the answer to friendship in DF.

Calling it Apartheid seems uncouth. It is, rather, a policy of good neighbourliness.
Seal off your fortress and make it impregnable, then use screw pumps to flood every inch of that town in magma. Either that or dig too deep and watch as the circus comes to town. Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
A goblin daycare center, a Dwarven cat herd on the move. A kobold cautiously trying to steal a tooth from a clear crystal Plains Titan[...]

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2013, 05:00:53 pm »

It's part of the DF experience! Also tantrum spirals are bad, but the more friends they lose without snapping makes them more and more resistant to bad moods, until they are completely desensitized to anything, ever. I think that's worth the risks, sometimes.
Pages: 1 2 [3]