Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: FPS issue on slow PCs: Worse than before? Or same?  (Read 13990 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS issue on slow PCs: Worse than before? Or same?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 08:43:35 am »

hereīs an interesting thought, reading init.txt the dwarf fortress renderer is defaulted to the slowest mode, (description notes that itīs most stable)
if you really end up near FPS death, then it might be worth a shot to test one of the seven other PRINT_MODE options
I believe there's also a mention that as of now render mode doesn't matter much because it can use different core than the game does.

Also, in my recent fort I had almost a thousand of syndromey covered bolts and a bunch of corpses with the same contaminant.
Clean all command would give me back one or two frames.
I've had ~10 fps dives and rises because of ambushes and caravans wandering around.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 10:05:03 am »

well, it would depend on the computer of course, not everyone has multi-core, and especially if the computer in question is a laptop or tablet, where even if you have multi-core, each core might not be that super

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 04:17:44 pm »

I never lose forts to FPS any more... Which is odd, since my computer is worse now.

Interesting. Question: Do you do anything different with forts now that you maybe did not before? Like, perhaps, different init settings such as turning temperature off, or different world gen parameters or embark size? Or maybe you use DFHack to clean up contaminants or destroy excess items? Or simply trade away clutter before it can accumulate?

Not that I'm aware of. I run forts the exact same as I used to, though much better organized. My only fort where I've even had a bit of trouble with FPS is my 40d fort, and even then it's still getting a good enough amount that it's playable. I've changed no init options, I don't even know how to use DFHack, and usually only trade crafts.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow
Pages: 1 2 [3]