Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54

Author Topic: SMAC MP Game: Turn 100! Partial Map Inside  (Read 40500 times)

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SMAC MP Game: 1 player needed
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 02:02:35 pm »

Believers and the Hive are already gone, you have a choice between Spartans and UN.

EDIT: sorry, i didnt read il Palazzo's post: PTTG, you're in if the next player to join is not palazzo's friend.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:05:35 pm by Twiggie »

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SMAC MP Game: 1 Spot Left
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 03:04:06 pm »

Added a download link in OP to SMAC patch 4.0, please grab that, and read the additional rules in the first post.

We'll also need to gather emails, I suggest you pm them to me and I can either broadcast to everyone, or give people only the address they'll need.

You will need to provide me with your password once we start, so that the rest of us aren't screwed over if anyone drops out.

Here is an explanation on how to PBEM, for those of you who are like me and have no idea wtf is going on.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 05:07:04 pm »

OK, I think I got the explanation, with some difficulty admittedly. And my game seems to be up-to-date with the patch being over a decade old and having gotten the game not more than a year or so ago. Also, if I'm interpreting the 8.1 rule correctly, does this mean that I can only design using the design workshop then manually upgrade my units? I'm can't particularly say I understand the reasoning for this rule, but I hardly build many units in the first place  :-\
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:12:10 pm by Un67 »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 05:12:32 pm »

I actually need to install a copy of the game - I'm hoping my disk still works, been a few OSes since I tried. Looking forward to this.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 05:17:40 pm »

I believe its basically to stop multiple upgrades of one unit in one turn. Custom units ARE allowed, but no reverse-engineering mind-controlled units - you're only allowed to duplicate the unit. Similarly, reverse-engineering probes to get rover chassis before doctrine:mobility is not allowed ;)

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 05:21:54 pm »

I was, uhh, not aware that such a thing was even possible in the first place.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 05:23:27 pm »

i don't know how exactly you do it, but i was doing some reading and apparently its possible.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 05:38:45 pm »

Ah, good, time to discuss rules.

First... I'm not sure exactly what you mean?

Because let's face it, I'm Miriam, I'm going to be capturing lots of technologically superior units and probably doing quite a few upgrades. And I don't actually understand how we design units if we can't use the workshop, but maybe I'm getting terminology mixed up here? Does this mean we can't, for example, upgrade a captured unit to current tech-level armor and weapons and equipment without spending three turns doing it? It's really quite confusing and poorly worded, and doesn't 11 already cover the abuse case? (I don't actually understand 11 either, but whatever, we'll figure it out) It seems to be talking about upgrading ALL units at the same time, which I didn't even know was an option and wouldn't want to do though?

I also don't understand the bit about drops. What is the point of dropping at all if you can only drop one unit per turn? I was under impression multi-unit drops were the NORMAL way to handle drops... apparently I was wrong.

rule 10 seems a bit... odd. As in its not a rule. :P Rule 7... well, we might consider just disallowing pacts. Can you disable allied victory without disabling pacts?

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 06:04:35 pm »

You can indeed disable allied victory.

Multiple drops is for ONE unit to do more than one drop in a turn. Apparently that's possible too.

Basically rule 8 is dealing with upgrading units in chunks being cheaper. For example if you had a 1-1-1, you and you want to upgrade it to a 12-6-3, you might first upgrade it to 12-1-3 and then upgrade that to a 12-6-3, instead of doing the upgrade in one chunk (I think its cheaper to do that). Doing that IS allowed, but doing all that in one turn is not (and there are ways to accomplish that).

Essentially, just play normally. If you find a way to cut costs that might be considered dodgy, ask in the thread.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 06:06:46 pm »

I was under the impression that upgrading in chunks aka refitting units WAS the normal way to do it, that's why I'm confused. :P

Ah well, I'll probably just be doing one or the other most of the time anyway. I really need to review how the SMAC battle calcs work again too, I always forget the details and screw myself over.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 08:26:48 am »

I didn't know Borehole Cluster, Unity Wreckage and Manifold Nexus were in SMAC, but I'm getting them in my games - is that from 4.0 or did SMAX add them retroactively?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 09:07:43 am »

I've never seen them, even with the patch.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 11:10:35 am »

I didn't know Borehole Cluster, Unity Wreckage and Manifold Nexus were in SMAC, but I'm getting them in my games - is that from 4.0 or did SMAX add them retroactively?
The manual of SMAX leads me to believe that they were indeed added retroactively.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 12:32:51 pm »

I've always had the borehole cluster get annihilated in a couple turns by spore launchers.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 01:48:48 pm »

I've always had the borehole cluster get annihilated in a couple turns by spore launchers.

:(

We still need to conclude the vote on difficulty - I've run a few test games and Large seems small enough for momentum players to do their thing. Is everyone OK with the second-most difficult one? (third citizen is a drone)?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54