Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ever had the moment where somebody halts the fortress to a stand still?  (Read 3990 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Ever had the moment where somebody halts the fortress to a stand still?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 04:19:35 am »

You need a steel axe/sword. If you can manage to survive until the dwarven traders arrive then you should probably be able to purchase one and kill it. Once you've got one then get it onto a dwarf as fast as you can and send them at it. They should probably kill it before too long. (Another thing you might consider is equipping some dwarves with some whips or picks if you have any steel ones and sending them at it. That should work almost as well).

As for interruptions, try forming a burrow that includes everywhere but in sight of the blizzard man, then use an alert to restrict the civilians to it. You will probably need to dig a new path under/over it, but that should solve the problems of starvation/dehydration (you might need to temporarily deactivate your military so they go eat/drink though).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 11:54:04 pm »

You need a steel axe/sword. If you can manage to survive until the dwarven traders arrive then you should probably be able to purchase one and kill it. Once you've got one then get it onto a dwarf as fast as you can and send them at it. They should probably kill it before too long. (Another thing you might consider is equipping some dwarves with some whips or picks if you have any steel ones and sending them at it. That should work almost as well).

As for interruptions, try forming a burrow that includes everywhere but in sight of the blizzard man, then use an alert to restrict the civilians to it. You will probably need to dig a new path under/over it, but that should solve the problems of starvation/dehydration (you might need to temporarily deactivate your military so they go eat/drink though).
I will try what you say. Right now I'm getting close, but no cigar. As for the Blizzard Man,
it's worth 72 Page-downs worth of Head scars and head scar accessories. Olin at least is only tearing apart muscle in the head.
I just don't understand this all. Maybe thats what the game wants to make me do - reevaluate how I handle stuff like this. I know prior blizzard men are easy pickings for my axedwarfs, but this one's a rarity. Maybe it's the 'very muscular' trait Dostngosp has.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 12:00:50 am by Bartholomew The Pious »
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Demonbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 12:13:11 pm »

Have miners dig up a tiny ditch from which the blizz can't escape?
That's not a bad idea. Then the Blizzard man will have to bleed to death, if it's got any blood in it left.

EDIT:
I've tried stairs underneath the Blizzard, and ramp, but I cannot seem to dig a channel beneath the blizzard! Anyone want to venture some pointers to help guide my dying fort?

Have you tried carving a ramp from underneath, d -> r?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 08:39:17 pm »

Do blizzard men need to breathe? I once killed a tenacious FB by rushing it with my entire population. I was hoping for a lucky headshot, but they ended up suffocating it to death instead.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 09:05:29 pm »

I've had moments where miscellaneous wildlife somehow wander into the fort, usually the dangerous kind.

I've had sauropods somehow make their way down into the dining hall, without any prior reports of interruptions through heavily trafficked paths, only to make themselves known by suddenly and brutally head-stomping the many dwarves and dogs chilling out by the tables. The thought of large dinosaurs getting that deep into a fort so stealthily with the intent of stomping dwarf heads into goo was pretty funny.

I've had a beholder fly up to the main staircase of a fort from the lowest caverns, which I forgot to wall off, and quickly and thoroughly incinerating every living thing on every floor from the lowest levels to the surface, before bleeding out after setting itself on fire in the midst of the purging and carnage. This was barely out of the 2nd year, and I had little military or defenses set up to deal with a flying fire-breathing multi-eyed head that burst from the inside of the fort outwards. I savescummed.

I've had waves of reanimated lumps of hair shambling about the midst of the "no mining" surface fort challenge. They quickly tore the fort down with a zombie-spiral thanks to the sneaking necromancers reanimating everything the hair lumps pushed to death.

then there was that time that one spore man got in and nested himself in the timberworks. I sealed him away until I was better equipped, but due to his disabling spores and quick speed he was a huge hassle even with a decent military and a brass hammergolem to help.  lost several dwarves and a cat or too to boot.

Random cave crocodiles have shown their scaly snouts as well occasionally, with much limb-biting and lower-body-tearing-clean-offing to be expected of them.

As a result I almost always have separate entrances to forts, one for a trade depot, with a clear uninterrupted route for the wagons and a chokepoint into the fort that's defended by traps for moving trade goods, and a main entrance for sieges that has at least a row of weapon or cage traps at the front just short of the drawbridge in case of random blood thirsty wildlife attempting to wander in.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 02:11:09 am »

Do blizzard men need to breathe? I once killed a tenacious FB by rushing it with my entire population. I was hoping for a lucky headshot, but they ended up suffocating it to death instead.
Apparently from my experience, Dostngosp is only ever feeling exhausted. I believe blizzard men from the windy northern mountains are made purely of frost with no internal organs, like Frost Trolls in Skyrim (or so the legends say.) Well if that's true it truly is a wonder why it's only feeling exhaustion and unconsciousness without a brain.
[Snip, my good sir]
Whoa, I haven't gotten anywhere near this level of fun stuff yet then. I understand your need for disciplined save scum. Alas wish those cage traps could help me with Dostngosp nowadays, he was released from a firing squad room rather than at a siege.

EDIT: Starvation Death Counter: +3 today. Also I am really on the verge of executing command slayrace him to Dostngosp, might as well slay the whole race to boot. (Joke Lang, of course not silly me.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:11:32 am by Bartholomew The Pious »
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 12:15:22 pm »

sauropods
I assume the clever girls left no survivors?

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 11:19:25 pm »

By the way, does anybody really know if pile-ons of pets or dwarves on a single target like a Blizzard man make FPS plummet? My fort has slowed to a crawl, like 5 FPS.

If yes, then I'll be justified in slaying the renowned Dostngosp via DFHack.
Totally justified.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 12:47:06 am »

By the way, does anybody really know if pile-ons of pets or dwarves on a single target like a Blizzard man make FPS plummet? My fort has slowed to a crawl, like 5 FPS.
The pile-up of all of the dwarves won't cause any real FPS drop, but the constant recalculating of paths by dwarves that are being scared by him will cause FPS to drop.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 12:46:07 pm »

The pile-up of all of the dwarves won't cause any real FPS drop, but the constant recalculating of paths by dwarves that are being scared by him will cause FPS to drop.
Ah okay, thanks. I slay raced him before I read this, but either way it did wonders now. Teaches me to regulate marksdwarf training better.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 12:59:04 pm »

Aaand suddenly, sad cyclops arrives in time to witness my sad display to dispose of Dostngosp.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:13:03 pm by Bartholomew The Pious »
Pages: 1 [2]