Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Bright Void - Universe Building Thread  (Read 5104 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Bright Void - Universe Building Thread
« on: February 04, 2013, 07:52:05 pm »

Main Description
The Bright Void is my name for the grimdark sci-fi universe I've been creating for a few months now, both in the two RTDs I've run/am running based in it and the actual lore writing and concept creating I've been doing. The universe of the Bright Void is a massive world spanning the hundreds of systems, and thousands of planets that make up the nations known as the Galactic Empires and the numerous other factions that are part of the Galactic Council. The people of it vary from the simple Human to the war-mongering Batarians to the ferociously loyal and determined four armed humanoids known as the Yulth. The nations of the Bright Void vary even more, and more often than not are corrupt to the core, tyrannical dictatorships, or nothing more than glorified war hordes seeking conquest.

The nations of the Galactic Empires, and the Galactic Council have managed to obtain the secrets to space travel, and have access to the warp gates that make travel from system to system possible yet all this was gained from the bones of fallen alien race, the most prominent of these races found and believed to have controlled the entire expanse of the Galactic Empires as a single almighty nation called the Ancients by the current races. Possessing tech so great they could build ships the size of continents, and launch those monstrosities millions of light years away in a few days with their mighty warp gates. Due to this many races have the ability to travel the stars but leaving much the rest of the race in somewhere between slightly advanced modern technology to almost dark ages for some.

The current state of affairs in the realms of the Galactic Empires is abysmal, suffering from constant wars, recovering from a great battle with the beings known as the Swarm, and the terrible conditions of the universe as a whole leaves nearly everything in a state of disrepair needing constant upkeep to keep everything from falling apart. The Bright Void is a universe ruled by the whims of corrupted governments, tyrants, and endless war as it seeks to find even a form of stability while extending its power farther and farther.

Concepts & Such
This section is going to be pretty much where I describe my reasons behind making the universe, the basic concepts I want to introduce, and the like. Do note this is meant as an actual universe unattached from any game system though if you so desire it can adapted to fit whatever game system you want it to.

The main concepts behind The Bright Void was the fact that I wanted a new grimdark esque sci-fi universe that fit to all the things I've wanted to see in the all those game worlds I've seen. At least thats how it started out, after a while it developed into something I think is rather unique, those core ideas I wanted still remain but they've been influenced by the ideas of my players in the CTBV RTDs and my rather (at times) over active imagination. All in all I want this universe to be a grimdark setting where the entire world is struggling against constant internal wars, battles with new emerging alien races and other ever present threats, and to keep the overall feel of a world in shambles with ships that are literally falling apart being the norm.

Disclaimer
You may use any of my work, but give me credit and do not sell any of it.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:51:35 pm by adwarf »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bright Void - Universe Building Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:54:16 pm »

The Fall of Earth and Rise of Mankind

The Discovery of Hope
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope's Journey and the Path of Mankind

Hope's Catch

Hope's Final Words

The Founding of Clockworks

Rise of a United Mankind
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:48:47 pm by adwarf »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:19:02 am »

If you don't mind a few comments?

1. Having Earth's population anywhere in the trillions is way beyond plausible. Even with terraforming of areas like Antarctica and the Sahara, having a population of 15 trillion would mean over 100,000 people per square kilometer. Or to put it another way, over three times the population density of Mumbai, across every square inch of land surface on the planet. I realize this is supposed to be 800 years in the future, but it's simply an issue of physical space. Even if you dot the oceans with arcologies, it would be unfeasible.

2. The 800 years is another problem. There's simply not enough resources on the planet to support the current population that long, much less one that is a thousand times larger. We'd have left Earth long before, drowned in our own filth, or suffered a technological and population collapse.

My suggestion would be to scale down the population to billions instead of trillions, and shrink the timescale to 200 years instead of 800. Especially since you're essentially discarding Earth early on. Just my .02.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 12:50:47 pm »

1. Having Earth's population anywhere in the trillions is way beyond plausible. Even with terraforming of areas like Antarctica and the Sahara, having a population of 15 trillion would mean over 100,000 people per square kilometer. Or to put it another way, over three times the population density of Mumbai, across every square inch of land surface on the planet. I realize this is supposed to be 800 years in the future, but it's simply an issue of physical space. Even if you dot the oceans with arcologies, it would be unfeasible.

2. The 800 years is another problem. There's simply not enough resources on the planet to support the current population that long, much less one that is a thousand times larger. We'd have left Earth long before, drowned in our own filth, or suffered a technological and population collapse.

My suggestion would be to scale down the population to billions instead of trillions, and shrink the timescale to 200 years instead of 800. Especially since you're essentially discarding Earth early on. Just my .02.

1.) I quite understand that the population density would be insane, they where crammed into every bit of space they could find on live able lands without technology to perform terraforming. These are the main things that led to that war, even with severely poor conditions the population was rising as more people are born than died. The dwindling resources didn't occur until around a hundred years prior when numerous new medical technologies (most lost in the flight from Earth and subsequent years in isolation) caused the death rate to drop immensely.

That led to wars over new lands that killed seven trillion of those on Earth. Before the war most people were packed into slums so dense that few had bigger then five foot by foot areas.

I'll address the second later and expand on the explanation for the first if you want.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 12:03:03 pm »

I'm fairly certain the ecosystem did crash.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 01:33:37 pm »

It took 800 years and a massive war to do so. Basically , reducing it to 30 billion is a much more manageable and sane number, while still being on the high side. 

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 03:40:19 pm »

It took 800 years and a massive war to do so. Basically , reducing it to 30 billion is a much more manageable and sane number, while still being on the high side.
It took 100 years to fully crash the ecosystem, but yes reducing human population to 30 billion :P  Also part of the reason I am posting this here is for constructive criticism, and everyone's opinions :)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 08:20:00 pm »

Common Technology of the Bright Void Universe

Point Defense Weaponry

Warp and Jump Drives

Drone Fighters

Exo Suits

Power Armor

Common Personal Weapons

Artificial Intelligence

Communications Technology

Stealth Tech

Starship Classes

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:35:39 pm by adwarf »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 04:52:42 am »

Just as a note, but even at twice the speed of light, an intrastellar voyage will still take at least 2 years, and often several decades or even aeons. Space is quite big.

Also, what happens inside the ship at FTL. What are the effects of time dilation. (Real question, how much in ship years does a 20 year warp voyage take.)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 05:07:34 am »

I have done some work in the actual universe generation part, and created a nifty picture to go along with it.

That's actually a pretty small scaled 'Universe' with only about 77k known systems (galaxy or solar system, take your pick) connected up in the universal gate system. It is overall roughly spherical and some systems are clumped together while others have large expanses between them. I initially made this for an "EVE'-esque game, so figured stopping at 77k was fine :P For an actual universe it would probably be better to think of it as one that has only a small number of inhabited zones being the reason for just the 77k.

Also, PTW cuz everyone's questions are way better than what I would end up asking :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 12:04:07 pm »

If you don't mind a few meta-comments?

Underground cities?

Looted other planets' resources? Applied phlebotinum?

Should be fine.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 01:01:26 pm »

Just as a note, but even at twice the speed of light, an intrastellar voyage will still take at least 2 years, and often several decades or even aeons. Space is quite big.

Also, what happens inside the ship at FTL. What are the effects of time dilation. (Real question, how much in ship years does a 20 year warp voyage take.)

During warp voyages time runs normally but distance is compressed, what would take 20 years in realspace using a jump drive would take a year to eight months with a Warp drive. Time, and the rest work exactly the same in either space which allows all personnel on warp capable vessels to stay up through those voyages and take care of the ship and such.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 01:02:33 pm »

My (worthless) two cents: the situation prior to the discovery of Hope is quite similar to that of a little world-building project I did a while ago. I saw that exact problem with physical space, and while I don't remember the exact numbers involved, I believe that I found that it was possible to basically mine out vast cities underground and then use the materials to build vast cities aboveground as well. Basically every piece of available rock, metal, wood and plastic was used.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 06:56:07 pm »

I have done some work in the actual universe generation part, and created a nifty picture to go along with it.

That's actually a pretty small scaled 'Universe' with only about 77k known systems (galaxy or solar system, take your pick) connected up in the universal gate system. It is overall roughly spherical and some systems are clumped together while others have large expanses between them. I initially made this for an "EVE'-esque game, so figured stopping at 77k was fine :P For an actual universe it would probably be better to think of it as one that has only a small number of inhabited zones being the reason for just the 77k.

Also, PTW cuz everyone's questions are way better than what I would end up asking :D

O_o Dang, I never even thought of trying to map the Bright Void's systems, just figured if I every made a map it'd be a flat display of the known universe all sectioned off to show sectors, important systems, faction areas of power, and the like.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 12:14:52 am »

Well, the color coding (in the game being developed using the structure in the picture) is eventually going to get pushed into spheres of influence and control for varying factions within the universe. I am working on pushing the universe display from its 3D form into a more easily viewed 2D flat map. The map shown is also the entire universe, and will be culled down into a player-known view so that the player doesn't have knowledge of areas he/she has never visited. Going by my experiences with EVE:Online, which has approximately 5k systems, I do not expect players to quickly increase their personal maps to more than maybe 1.5-3k systems within a year of play unless they just dart around trying to map an area. Those 1.5-3k systems would likely become the player's main area of focus with only marginal increases in map size after the first year though.

I think it takes me about a minute to generate a universe this size at the most low detail level (the picture) and then about 30min to an hour to do an initial detail pass to populate celestial bodies within the systems. All of the high detail stuff is generated when a user (usually me or my boss) first enters a system and then it stays persistent from there (about 2-5 seconds during the gate-gate transition). I haven't gotten it multi-threaded yet so it should be able to speed up considerably once I do :D

Just how large are you wanting your universe to be? Also, assuming this is a game since not especially sure, is it intended for single player or multiplayer (MMO-esque) gameplay?

Interesting Links:
This Project has a lot of interesting stuff to read about and has been in development for a very long time, dealing with fully procedural universe and planet generation. It is also absurdly pretty to look at :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.
Pages: [1] 2