Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 67

Author Topic: Viva la Revolucion! Game Over, man, Game over!  (Read 123100 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Viva la Revolucion! Game Over, man, Game over!
« on: February 04, 2013, 10:49:41 pm »

This is not mafia. It is almost mafia. It is a mafia-life where no one gets eliminated, but trust me - it works! Or at least, it works in person - I don't know if anyone has tried to run it as a forum game yet, but I'm willing to give it a go.

So here's the rules:
Most of you will be members of the Rebellion, plotting to overthrow the Evil Empire!
Some of you will be Spies, intent on causing the Rebellion to fail.

Each round is split into two parts - The Planning Stage, and the Mission (The equivalent of Day and Night).

During the Planning Stage, a player is tasked with the job of assembling a team. This role proceeds in a predetermined order - the order people sign up. After selecting a certain number of players (exact numbers depend on the total number of players we get to play), everyone then submits to me a secret vote - essentially, whether they want the suggested team structure to pass, or to fail. I reveal the votes at the same time, along with who cast them. If the vote is a failure - if people decided they do NOT like this team choice - the role of team assembler passes to the next person on the list, and the process repeats. After a certain number of failed attempts to select a team (dependent on player size), the mission is simply declared a failure. Eventually, people will accept a team. When that happens, we proceed to the Mission.

During the Mission, the thread will be locked, and players will submit their actions for the night. Since we will be playing pure vanilla, rebels on the mission do not need to submit any particular action - it is assumed they will aid the Rebellion and insure the mission succeeds. However, to keep things fair, they MUST submit something. A simple "Present" or "Viva la Revolucion!" will suffice. Spies may choose to either "Lay Low" or "Sabotage". A certain number of sabotages (1 for all missions except mission 4, which requires 2) lead to the mission being declared a failure. Come morning, I reveal the results of the night action, including any visible actions such as sabotage, but not who took those actions. Players will simply know that one, two, or three players threw sabotage actions, leading to mission failure.

There will be five rounds total. Each round requires more members to go on a mission, meaning that you must be more and more sure of who you trust and who you don't as the game progresses.

We'll be playing this first run pure vanilla, just to get our feet wet. As such, we'll be using the most basic rules.

*No special roles. Everyone is either a Spy or a Rebel.
*No player may communicate about the game with any other player, including Spies, outside of the thread.
*Spies are informed of the identity of other spies, and will have one real life day before the game begins to discuss their strategy. Once they have gone undercover, however, they may only communicate the way the other players do - in thread.
*Each attempt at the Planning Stage will last three days, or until all votes are collected, whichever comes first.
*Each Mission will last at least as long as is needed for all actions to be gathered. Hopefully, not too long.

And that's basically it! So who's interested?

Player list:
1. Nerjin
2. Tiruin
4. Dariush
5. Captain Ford
6. Leafsnail
7. notquitethere
8. Zombie Urist
9. Toaster
10. ToonyMan
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:41:40 am by GlyphGryph »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Viva la Revolucion! Down with the Evil Empire! (Signups: 0 / 5-10)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:33:31 pm »

In because why not?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:40:17 pm »

Wait... How do you win? By having more success/failure as town/scum?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 12:02:08 am »

In to replacement list
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 04:45:07 am »

A GlyphGryph Mafia game Experiment?

In if no objections are raised!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 05:10:06 am »

In
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:57:12 am »

I wanted to think of something clever to say here, but I can't.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 08:53:50 am »

I can see there being some potential for process of elimination wiping out the scum team's effectiveness.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 09:30:04 am »

Yeah, victory goes to the Rebels if they win 3 missions, and to the Spies if they don't.

There's definitely some process of elimination sort of though involved on the towns part, but don't rely on it too much - after all, there's only five chances to see results, and spies don't HAVE to throw a failure. Many a rebellion has been put down from thinking they "logically" worked out the spies.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:32:21 am by GlyphGryph »

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
Re: Viva la Revolucion! Down with the Evil Empire! (Signups: 4 / 5-10)
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 04:25:05 pm »

In. I'm not going to miss a GlyphGryph game.

I'd like to add that even though no one is eliminated, people might still need to be replaced if they don't have the time to participate.

Also, the rules say "No player may communicate with any other player about the game during the game, including Spies." Is that only private communication? Or does that mean that there will be no public discussion of the game at all, even in-thread?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 04:29:04 pm »

In, I think I get it now.

Will we be told how many spies there are?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 04:34:31 pm »

Clarified the bit about no out-of-thread/private communication and yes, you will be told how many spies there are.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Viva la Revolucion! Down with the Evil Empire! (Signups: 6 / 5-10)
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 05:17:10 pm »

I would never miss a chance to take down the Empire. I'm IN.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
Re: Viva la Revolucion! Down with the Evil Empire! (Signups: 6 / 5-10)
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 06:50:54 pm »

Thanks for clarifying.

I could see the game working with no communication (and it could even be interesting to play that way), but then it really wouldn't belong in this forum.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
Re: Viva la Revolucion! Down with the Evil Empire! (Signups: 7 / 5-10)
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 12:27:35 pm »

In? Not entirely sure why the spies won't sabotage every time, if they can't be eliminated. Either I'm missing something, or just haven't played enough mafia. :P
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 67