Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 67

Author Topic: Viva la Revolucion! Game Over, man, Game over!  (Read 125745 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Viva la Revolucion! Down with the Evil Empire! Game Begins! Week 1, Day 1
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2013, 11:44:11 am »

Nerjin, just go for that team. We'll only know it was a good one if it succeeds. (Besides, spraypainting isn't that hard, and your team has the smarts, the muscle and the heart to win!)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2013, 12:33:56 pm »

@Toony-Man: Fill in the blanks: "I would want to be ____ Because _____"
A...hyphen??  "I would want to be a Freedom Fighter because For the Rebellion! For the Resistance! For Freedom!."

Nerjin
Dariush
Ford

Is who I'm thinking so far. Anyone have suggestions or reads on these people that would indicate I shouldn't take them?
Take yourself out and put someone else there.  I'm not voting in support with this group otherwise.  We should have a rule where the team organizer can not nominate themselves, this would put restrictions on the spy team, especially later in the game.  The freedom fighters do not suffer from this (unless we've confirmed every spy somehow and then this rule is silly, but then again the game would pretty much be decided).

Nerjin, just go for that team. We'll only know it was a good one if it succeeds. (Besides, spraypainting isn't that hard, and your team has the smarts, the muscle and the heart to win!)
Okay spy.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2013, 12:47:06 pm »

Let me explain that a bit more:

A.  The team organizer is a Spy,
     1.  They can nominate themselves and at the very least guarantee the early mission sabotages.
     2.  In the later game missions that require two spies in the mission, they will have to blatantly pick more of their team.
B.  The team organizer is a Freedom Fighter.
     1.  They aren't able to nominate themselves, which does raise the chances of getting a spy in the mission, however there's a pretty good chance they picked a spy already.
     2.  Also the chances of the team organizer being a spy is almost 50/50 and that would cause more harm, you can not trust a spy.

After this first mission we're going to have to do a lot of team management stuff, everybody should be participating.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2013, 01:22:16 pm »

Spoiler: Irrelevent Now (click to show/hide)
Umm...thanks for explaining that pre-emptively. But your explanation is kind of weird. Point A1 assumes that organizers can pick themselves, and A2 and B1 assume they can't. Also, point B2 is odd considering it's categorized under the assumption that the team organizer is a rebel.

I'm still inclined to think that it benefits spies more than rebels, especially in the early game. I'm not sure if there would be any long-term benefit to it or if it would be worth the price.

I'm going to put some more thought into this and address it again later, but at the very least...

Nerjin: How did you pick that team?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2013, 01:29:17 pm »

At this point, I think that any kind of policy might be bad, just because any kind of restriction eliminates opportunities for spies to reveal themselves through their choices.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2013, 01:43:29 pm »

I wouldn't say it's a "WINNING STRATEGY" but it should help us more than hurt.  I mean, if the spies can get two wins in the early games then they've pretty much guaranteed victory (they could probably get the team organization to fail until it falls onto a spy, in which case it's instant-win, they could be as obvious as possible). I change my mind.

These first three rounds are really really important to get the lead on.

Point A1 assumes that organizers can pick themselves, and A2 and B1 assume they can't.
Whoopsie.  Rephrase A1 as "They won't be able to nominate themselves and at the very least won't be able to guarantee the early mission sabotages.  I got my syntax reversed.

I think I see what you're saying though, going over it.

I'm still inclined to think that it benefits spies more than rebels, especially in the early game. I'm not sure if there would be any long-term benefit to it or if it would be worth the price.
Yeah you're probably right for the early game actually at the very least.  We're more likely to roll a town organizer which would make the chance of picking a spy less if they have to nominate themselves and not otherwise.  I shouldn't try to work out a logic while posting it, it gets all muddled.

I'm okay with Nerjin nominating himself.  He's just putting more scrutiny on himself and if he's town it does look to be the right thing to do.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2013, 02:12:22 pm »

Take yourself out and put someone else there.  I'm not voting in support with this group otherwise.  We should have a rule where the team organizer can not nominate themselves, this would put restrictions on the spy team, especially later in the game.  The freedom fighters do not suffer from this (unless we've confirmed every spy somehow and then this rule is silly, but then again the game would pretty much be decided).
I vote for this suggestion. Actually, before Nerjin's post I thought this was enforced by the mod. The leader's task is (if he is a rebel, obviously) to help town (and himself) learn the alignments of other people, since he already knows his own.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2013, 04:01:12 pm »

Nerjin: How did you pick that team?

Well as I said it's really just a preliminary thing. I'm not sure I want to take you or the "cuddly" [as he puts it] Dariush. I know for a fact I am a Rebel and everyone else seems a tad bit quiet. So I figure I take you two and A) Mission goes well and we're all rebels. or B) MIssion fails with 1 or 2 votes. If B than you both seem talkative enough that someone'll make a slip. Not taking NQT ever since:

Scum-scum-scum-scum-scum. Though...

Now I'm thinking he saw a Scum on the proposed away team... Or two?

@Mod Are we allowed taking ourselves on missions?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2013, 04:23:34 pm »

As long as everyone else votes "yes" for the mission composition, you can send whoever you want, yourself included.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2013, 05:30:51 pm »

I agree that one shouldn't self-nominate, especially in the early missions (and even more so in the first one) where suspicions aren't fully-formed and a spy could easily self-nominate into the team.

NQT: Since you told Nerjin to go for that team, what are you thoughts on self-nominating, and what changes would you do to that team if you were to be named organizer right now?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2013, 05:41:41 pm »

@Nerjin:
If you had to describe a rebel in two words how would you say it?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2013, 05:45:44 pm »

Not scum

Trustworthy Player.

and so far there are precious few. I sorta wish I wasn't the one who had to do this. All the pressure is sorta hard to deal with. I don't want to be responsible for the first failure.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2013, 05:46:40 pm »

After crunching some numbers and putting some heavy thought into it, I think Dariush has a good point. If Nerjin is a rebel, then including himself in the team doesn't aid us in finding spies. The chances of getting a team of all rebels is reduced (by a lot, actually), but it wasn't so great in the first place. We can't win this war without identifying spies, so ironically, it might be in our best interests to send as many spies on this mission as possible.

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

PPE: Nerjin:

Well as I said it's really just a preliminary thing. I'm not sure I want to take you or the "cuddly" [as he puts it] Dariush. I know for a fact I am a Rebel and everyone else seems a tad bit quiet. So I figure I take you two and A) Mission goes well and we're all rebels. or B) MIssion fails with 1 or 2 votes. If B than you both seem talkative enough that someone'll make a slip.
That's fair enough. I do think you should take yourself off the team, for reasons stated above.

Incidentally, I also know myself to be a rebel. You know, interestingly enough, if you were a spy -- purely hypothetically, of course -- you would probably pick the exact same team for the exact same reasons.

Scum-scum-scum-scum-scum. Though...

Now I'm thinking he saw a Scum on the proposed away team... Or two?
Huh. That's a nasty slip all right. I would have missed it entirely if you hadn't pointed it out.

I'm not entirely convinced it isn't just careless wording. But either way, it was careless, and for a guy who loves probability, he certainly missed an opportunity there.

notquitethere:
If I had have been a spy I would advocate the following strategy: one of the spies should be the active spy and the rest sleeper agents: the active spy would try and disrupt every mission until caught, then activating the unknown sleeper agents for the final missions.
Who would be the best candidate for the active spy, assuming you could choose anyone?

PPE: GlyphGryph, Deathsword, Toonyman, and Nerjin again

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2013, 06:01:17 pm »

Not scum
Trustworthy Player.
and so far there are precious few. I sorta wish I wasn't the one who had to do this. All the pressure is sorta hard to deal with. I don't want to be responsible for the first failure.
See that's funny, because I for one like to call myself a Freedom Fighter.  I have this nagging feeling you're scum (beyond having no confidence we will succeed the first mission) and Dariush and Captain Ford are probable scum by association.  Proof being Dariush and Ford trying to get you to switch (this would be in the spies favor for the early round, you only need one spy and any more would just get the group suspected and less able to sabotage) and Captain Ford also says that they "know myself to be a rebel" just now.

Are you a Freedom Fighter Ford?

My opinion right now is for you to construct an entirely new team.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2013, 06:16:13 pm »

Not scum
Trustworthy Player.
See that's funny, because I for one like to call myself a Freedom Fighter.  I have this nagging feeling you're scum (beyond having no confidence we will succeed the first mission) and Dariush and Captain Ford are probable scum by association.  Proof being Dariush and Ford trying to get you to switch (this would be in the spies favor for the early round, you only need one spy and any more would just get the group suspected and less able to sabotage) and Captain Ford also says that they "know myself to be a rebel" just now.

Are you a Freedom Fighter Ford?

My opinion right now is for you to construct an entirely new team.

Baseless-wifom-baseless-wifom-baseless-wifom-baseless-wifom

Mind if I ask why you suspect I'm scum other than I'm the first player to pick a team?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 67