Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Yet another programming/game project  (Read 5074 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another programming/game project
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 05:59:32 am »

Just a question, what's the actually ingame significance of the maps.
Everything. My intent is to make a 4x where colonization and space travel is extremely difficult, meaning that local conditions are extremely important. And if local conditions are good enough, then they might just decide to declare independance. Can't simulate the real problems of holding together an interstellar empire without having proper differences between planets.

As for particulars, humidity and plant amount will determine food production. Temperature will determine upkeep. Height differences will determine build costs(gotta pave that land). And that's all the current systems.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Plants (click to show/hide)
The odd lines on the coast are caused by the fact that I capped growth to the minimum of suitable temperature and humidity. And since higher places are colder and humidity still reaches them, then slightly away from the low coasts is actually the best place to grow. I think it would actually be quite okay if I make it more apparent that the equator is at the highest possible temperature and you should catch on fire if you go there.

EDIT2:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:09:22 pm by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 07:27:57 pm »

That looks awesome ^_^
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 12:34:23 am »

Everything. My intent is to make a 4x where colonization and space travel is extremely difficult, meaning that local conditions are extremely important. And if local conditions are good enough, then they might just decide to declare independance. Can't simulate the real problems of holding together an interstellar empire without having proper differences between planets.

As for particulars, humidity and plant amount will determine food production. Temperature will determine upkeep. Height differences will determine build costs(gotta pave that land). And that's all the current systems.
Nice. I can't wait to see where you take this.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 09:40:22 am »

Looks very nice, I'm interested to see where you'll take this...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 01:29:40 pm »

Everyone say "Hi!" to the resource map and to the non-conformist resourceID 20, who has decided that white is "not his style" despite it having been the colour of all resources for millions of years. On second thought, do not greet the rebel. If you give it attention, others will follow its lead.

Currently it just assigns an unique ID to every deposit, but I will change that behaviour. I think I will make the resources be determined at space level(like all the globals are) and then the resource map just says where they are.

So, yeah. Resources. The above map is a bit rich, but it should be okay, since most of them will be generics and only a few special ones will be randomly generated. A few meaning a maximum of 255 resources minus generics per planet and however many I can be bothered to accomodate across the galaxy. Obviously randomly generated resources could lead to super-powerful omniresources that control the fate of the galaxy...

but I think we all know that the spice must flow.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 01:40:03 pm »

Very nice looking. Would be handy from a player perspective to be able to view mineral deposits on an overlay of the landmass map as well.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 01:41:33 pm »

True. Will definately put that in.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 02:12:55 pm »

Just as a note, you could have procedural generators rather than random generators. Meaning that some traits can't be shared with others, or that each trait comes with it's own drawback. Or that there's some sort of point limit, or a relation between usefullness and availability.

Though really, I suppose that a very usefull resource would balance itself out. High usage => shortage => Crisis. Because people won't like the fact that you're limiting their acces to the supermedicine because it's so usefull for spaceship reactors.

((Also, hidden drawbacks))

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 12:57:38 pm »

Seems I am at a bit of an impass. You see, I am at the state of planet generation, where I think I could start linking it up with new systems, like tiles and star systems. Right now the question is how I would go about creating those. Star systems are simple enough, simply a stack of stats, a list of pointers to planets, and their display. Tiles are a different matter entirely, as they have some very important components like buildings and population. I am torn between making them just a struct like the pixels are and having the planet class interact with them, or making a fully fledged class with its own functions. Not to mention that I dont even exactly know what I will need them to do yet.

Gonna have to write up some proper goals. Running in blind works decently for generating a planet, but doesn't work so well when doing other stuff. Not gonna see a lot of pretty pictures in the near future, since I will be coming up with actual systems(as opposed to the general outline in my head), and will be cleaning up the code a bit. I also really need to work on the interface a bit.

As you can see, I coded in windows and their handling before I started with planet generation*, you can drag em around and close em and everything. Its pretty easily extendable** and messing around with it shouldn't be much of a problem, but its still gonna be a bit of code, with all the buttons and stuff I'm gonna have to do. Currently all input is just this block of code***:
Code: [Select]
        case SDLK_1: Planeet->RenderMap(1, 1); break;
        case SDLK_2: Planeet->RenderMap(2, 1); break;
        case SDLK_3: Planeet->RenderMap(3, 1); break;
        case SDLK_4: Planeet->RenderMap(4, 1); break;
        case SDLK_5: Planeet->RenderMap(5, 1); break;
        case SDLK_6: Planeet->RenderMap(6, 1); break;

So yeah, current goals: Buttons, proper design, some under the hood stuff with windows and a name. I also need to get boost working for multithreading.

*I actually just slapped the planet on top of it. The windows were just a thing I did for fun. Didn't even have a particular thing in mind when I made it. But genericness is good for extendability I suppose.
**Speaking of extending, the window background gets cut off because I made the window bigger to accomodate the 800x400 map, but the background image itself is actually only 500x500. Couldn't be bothered to make a bigger one.
***Except the mouse, which is linked to the windows and is...a bit more complicated. Luckily I don't have to touch the thing, because it's nicely self-contained.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 01:07:37 pm »

I'd say make them classes. More powerful if you need them to do stuff, and can still be simple if that's all you ultimately need from them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 02:09:52 pm »

but I think we all know that the spice must flow.

I enjoy this greatly.

Also - cool project! :)
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 06:40:19 am »

Wrote up all my thoughts on the different systems. Ambitious, but should be implementable.

Resources:

Factions:

Tech:

Tiles:

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 10:25:24 am »

Interesting. Would tiles have an effect on their surrounding tiles. Also, are you going to make maps of every object, or are you going to abstracts roids and moons (and gasgiants).

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2013, 10:47:58 am »

Tiles do not effect surrounding tiles, but I might put in exceptions for certain specializations.

Asteroids and gas giants will be abstracted or wont exist at all. Moons I have to think about. Right now everything is hardcoded to a 800x400 planet, and moons would obviously be smaller than that. Not to mention smaller maps would require changing the UI, and lots of little stuff like that.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2013, 02:53:52 pm »

Ah, the sweet sweet smell of progress(even if its not much).

As can be seen, this is a resource. I decided to scrap the whole bonus idea, because its redundant with tech levels.

This particular resource is good for general use at all stages. It doesnt need to be refined for tech level 3 use, and at refinement 5 can be used for tech level 7.
It acts a decent fertilizer for the construction of farms. It can also be used as crappy fuel, until tech level 11 is reached after which it can apparently be used to fold space-time like paper. It is also usable as medicine.

The week since my last post was used for

All in all, quite a fun, learned a lot. Gonna mess around a bit more with the traits, and then proceed to the tiles.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4