Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Yet another programming/game project  (Read 5087 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another programming/game project
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 02:00:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Progress on the tiles front. The currently chosen tile is the one with the white outline in the lower right.

The left window is for debugging. I made it display the tile data at the moment until I make something proper. They are all currently base stats. 1 is resource production, 2 is resource ID, 3 is how many resources are needed for construction and 4 is upkeep.

Production is determined by taking the amount of resources in the tile and dividing by 4096.
Resource ID is just the first one it encounters. Doing this revealed an odd bug where every tile without resources was set to 49, despite the fact that every tile was set to 0 before doing anything, and that the 49 should have broken other functions, which worked perfectly.
Construction cost is determined by how much the terrain height varies and water depth.
Upkeep is determined by temperature and water depth.

Right now works pretty well. The tile on the above picture is pretty much ideal. A lot of tiles dont have resources, much less a production of 6. The construction cost is good(8 is average, at least on this planet), and the upkeep is at the minimum. If this was a newly discovered planet then this is where you would land with a colony ship.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 02:03:53 pm »

Looks nice!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 06:16:19 pm »

Awesome progress :)

I really love your idea of the randomly generated resources!
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2013, 02:58:24 pm »

Been doing a bit of math and tuning the base production numbers. Also got rid of some stuff like a population cap. At this point the roadblock is the design specifics rather than the programming.

As for the current specifics, production is determined by the formula of: BaseProduction*PopMultiplier*pow(1.25, TechLevel)*FactionBonus
The 1.25 can be changed. But basically each tech level is 25% better than the last. I wasn't particularly keen on having diminishing returns on this, accounting for the fact that high tech resources are very rare. But again, the 25% may change.

As for the PopMultiplier. This is taken from population and has diminishing returns capping out at 10 if you have infinite population, but it hits the cap for practical purposes at around 30 pop.
Code: [Select]
1 - 1
2 - 1.9
3 - 2,71
4 - 3,439
5 - 4,0951
30 - 9,96...

This had an interesting effect though, in that bigger populations could make more food and feed bigger populations, so the theoretical population numbers got stupidly high. Gonna need to nerf food production a bit, unless I find that medicine is enough of a limiter.

RiordanIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 10:59:52 pm »

I'm sorry for necroing, but whatever happened to this project? It looks super interesting and along the same lines as a part of a game I'm brainstorming right now.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2014, 05:07:22 am »

Oh, I rewrote the whole thing and made a new thread. It's right here.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]