Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Pik-Pik Fortress Version 1.1  (Read 18447 times)

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pik-Pik Fortress Version 1.1
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 06:32:13 pm »

On my reclaim (got harassed a bit by different puffy blowhog, because the first one earned a name from killing 9 Pikmin, but this time just burrowed everyone inside until it wandered off) a Megabeast, a Raging Bloyster showed up and absolutely massacred everyone.

I reclaim again, and used the burrow again to lock myself inside a small storehouse I had built. Well, five of the seven got in anyway. The Bloyster wandered into the exploratory shafts I had dug and when it went so deep I couldn't see it anymore (because reclaim hides some underground areas) I rushed out to seal the shaft. I succeeded, and paused to see whether it had been on the way out, to find it only two levels below. That was close.

Eventually succumbed to more insanity and numerous ghosts that I couldn't put down fast enough. Pikmin ghosts that don't just float away with a pitiful cry. Somehow the image of ghostly Pikmin toppling statues and making noises doesn't seem very out-of-line with their nature, the mischievous little carrots. XD

I noticed that the Bloyster had wounds on many of its tongues, but one of them said "rtongue", which may be a typo in the raw, but I don't know.

Again, great work on everything so far. I've long needed a bit of an extra incentive to play DF more and this mod certainly acts as one!

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 08:01:03 pm »

rtongue is in fact an error in the raws. At one point they were numbered and had left and right tags, and then I decided that was completely unnecessary.

The Raging Bloyster is an ungodly pikmin killing machine. I at one point had one that had almost 3000 pikmin kills over 200 years. At that point I decided that they might be just a little over powered. Now they don't rampage in world gen (I don't remember what I changed that made that happen, and I really need to figure it out), but when they show up at a fort, they are !!FUN!!. I've always dealt with them by hiding inside and building ballista/catapults.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 02:21:19 pm »

Oh god the iridescent flint and glint beetles.

Just, oh god. Those glittering and terrifying unstoppable walking fortresses of mass disruption and occasional random death and doom. Please, wander off the map so that we, your poor servants, may return to work! *everyone cowers inside a sealed stockpile room*

On a side note, more puffy blowhogs and some volatile dweevils. The latter impressed me when the first one actually died instantly on using the explosion ability. Another manged to use it twice before dying, but still, good job on the syndrome. I had a pikmin get covered in blisters and quickly die.

Currently I'm in the habit of "If something dangerous wanders onto the map hole up and hide until it leaves", though I hope to be much more aggressively defensive later.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 06:23:43 pm »

I've been tinkering with the frequency of creatures appearing and whatnot since the very beginning of this mod. At one point, actually for quite a long time, I had switchbugs show up 7 out 10 times. I had almost nothing but switchbug in my deceased list. I had switchbug meat at every table (well actually i didn't because my pikmin apparently didn't eat due to that tag), and switchbug blood coated the horizon. I got that fixed, but somewhere along the lines it messed up the rates of basically everything else. Thats one of those balance issues that is always going to be slightly changing.

Which reminds me, if anyone knows of a way to get pikmin to attack vermin without causing them to not eat real food, I would love it if you told me. Because Pikmin attack things that get near them, and vermin like the ravenous whiskerpillar would be attacked by pikmin. (Also, be very afraid that there are vermin that are as big as your people in this game, they eat those Blisterwort berries like nobody's business.

As far as aggressive strategy, if you'd turn your attention the nobles section of the entity file, the number of soldiers in a squad has been increased to the standard Pikmin 100. Aggressive strategy is very doable in this mod. It doesnt matter how big it is or how immune it thinks it is to tiny blow darts, if you put 100 blowdarting pikmin out there, it's gonna die. Unless it's a Raging Bloyster, that thing is actually immune to blowdarts, and weapons, and death... Really it's just best to hide from that thing and or use fire (except I've had one survive that).
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 06:26:17 pm »

I ptw
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 11:40:52 pm »

Why is there an archived objects file in the raws?

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 12:12:31 am »

If you're talking about the .zip in the raws its for no particular reason. I had to compress the objects file at one point and left it there afterwards in case someone else need/wanted the objects only in a zip folder. Its so small it practically literally (apparently that is an acceptable phrase, according to my Lit teacher) doesn't matter.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 11:04:44 am »

I did indeed notice that the squad size had been set to 100 and was very amused by the implications of this. The problem for me was that I had less than twenty to use. XD
On the other hand, I think I should try just giving absolutely everyone blowguns and assigning them to the squad, so that nobody is unarmed if attacked.

Also apeaking of hands and arms, I still find it appropriately frustrating how easily the pikmin lose hands, feet, legs and arms, the frail little things. They also seem to decay to nothing extremely quickly, so I've made a habit of just not burying them, but making a massive memorial hall instead. This may be a little hard on friends and family, who get bad thoughts about decay, but when a large number are killed off for any reason it's unlikely I'll be able to recover most, if any really, of the bodies.

The spawn ratios also seem pretty good, if I consider only what creatures I've seen. There's always a group of roaming bulborbs, either dwarf orange, dwarf red or big red. There's occasionally a puffy blowhog or a group of shearwigs, and very rarely a mamuta. With relative frequency from the underground I tend to see either a wollywog, a bundle of volatile dweevils or one of the beetles, be it flint, glint or doodlbug. However I don't think I've really seen any other non-vermin creatures on the current map. (sand desert, medium savagery, nuetral)

At one point, I was down to one pikmin, who was inside a building with three red bulborbs wandering by the exit. He took one step outside and the nearest one keels over, dead. I check the combat logs, and he had shot it in the head with his blowgun; one-shot-kill, headshot. He's now got four kills, two iridescent flint beetles and a wollywog on top of that. And he's been my sole pikmin for every one of those. This guy is determined to survive, and I'm doing my best to ensure he does.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot the breadbugs. I've seen two or three wander by and steal things, so they're around too. Olin has eight kills now, but his lower spine was shattered so he can't walk. Mid-winter, I hope he makes it until the liason comes and goes in spring so migrants might show up...

Edit2: Well I've had snitchbugs and bulbears and probably something else I can't remember right now because I've got something more important on my mind. Such as that ranging bloyster. Oh carp. But wait, not only is it a ranging bloyster, it's the exact same ranging bloyster that drove me away from my last fortress spot, down to the bruised brain I managed to inflict and the quiver it's still somehow carrying around. The quiver it killed nine pikmin with.

I've gotten everyone to the safety of locked doors, but unless I get really lucky and it goes into the exploratory shafts I don't know how I'm going to get rid of it easily...
What do?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:05:40 am by Poldon »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 02:58:45 pm »

Okay, some gripes from reading the raws (because I always have to do that!):

1. Putting all the creatures in creature_standard seems odd.

2. Putting all the body parts in body_default is also odd.

3. Stems being given a token of TAIL and category of also TAIL is also odd. You could replace both of those with, say, STEM, then replace the pikmin's attack with ATTACK:SLAP:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:STEM and have it still work.

4. The mamuta's CDIs are a bit weird. You have it say "You slams a pikmin" and "the Mamuta slams a pikmin into the ground"; similarly, the target verbs are "you is pushed into the ground" and "the pikmin is forcibly planted".

5. The material emissions having CDIs would improve their illustration a bit, but that's not really that much of a problem.

6. This uses an earlier version of DFHack... is this based on the lazy newb pack instead of vanilla?

Also:

Code: [Select]
PUFFY_BLOWHOG:Tissue layer not added because no BP found: BY_CATEGORY:MUSCLE:GAS
GLINT_BEETLE:Unrecognized Creature Token: MULTIPLY_VALUE
SNAGRET_PILEATED:Attribute range not in increasing order, repaired
SNAGRET_PILEATED:Attribute range not in increasing order, repaired
GOOLIX:Attack SLAP seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added
GOOLIX Color Mod Ending With (BLUE,1) Was Not Used

You need to put the MULTIPLY_VALUE token under a [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL] header.

Puffy blowhogs don't have muscle because you have TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN, which turns all of its tissue layers into skin. You should make that TISSUE_LAYER_UNDER under the skin.

You need to change the pileated snagret's WILLPOWER so that it's not 3000:3100:3150:3250:3350:3250:3250

Goolix is called golix. Also, its attack uses the "tail" bp which it doesn't have. I personally think "push" is actually pretty appropriate, but "engulf" would probably work better. Change the attack category from "TAIL" to "BODY".

The goolix's color modifier uses SKIN rather than FLESH, which is the Goolix's only tissue due to being copy+pasted from fleshballs (not like that's a bad thing, of course; it's all I do for my 1partbody creatures). Maybe have it have a SKIN tissue layer set to ALL, then a WATER tissue layer under that. Also, it has no nucleus.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:39:41 pm by Putnam »

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 03:41:44 pm »

"This is a stack of 2038 exceptional prepared prepared ranging bloyster brain roast."

Well, not sure why it says prepared twice, but I think I now have more food than I've ever had.

Yeah, I've no experience modding, so I'm just going to look for whatever I happen to find that I can report.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 03:43:50 pm »

3 managers?

Also, pikmin make friends way too easily, as of now. Tantrum spirals are bound to happen a lot, as far as I've seen.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:51:34 pm by Putnam »

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 05:50:51 pm »

The manager slots perform the duties of manager, trader and bookkeeper. They're consolidated, but you can also have up to three pikmin performing them. I actually kinda like that.

And yeah, but I'm still hoping Toady will make friends less detrimental soon. He mentioned it in the last DF Talk, so it's something he probably wants to fix at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 05:55:31 pm »

The manager slots perform the duties of manager, trader and bookkeeper. They're consolidated, but you can also have up to three pikmin performing them. I actually kinda like that.

No matter what I complain about the technical aspects of the mod, actually playing it is really amazing for reasons like this. I never would have thought of that.

EDIT: Why do pikmin have both CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK instead of just INTELLIGENT?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:37:11 pm by Putnam »

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 08:44:49 pm »

No matter what I complain about the technical aspects of the mod, actually playing it is really amazing for reasons like this. I never would have thought of that.

I don't know a huge amount of the technical aspects of Dwarf Fortress in general, but I know some.

Speaking of which, while going through all the raws and data files to remove the graphics pack (Sorry, it's good but it bothers me when for example my memorials look like piles of rock, or my bridges like a strange collection of furniture and such.) I noticed that the description for the Honeywisp is a c/p of the Pikmin description. May want to fix that.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 08:57:27 pm »

Most of them are...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5