Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Pik-Pik Fortress Version 1.1  (Read 18574 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Pik-Pik Fortress Version 1.1
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 01:48:43 am »

1. Changed it to creature_standard_pik to make it compatible with other mods/vanilla.

2. That's just what I did for my own personal use while making the mod. Uhhhh, I could pick the extra things out and make a file for them. I'll add that to the to-do list.

3. It was easy to give them tail instead of floundering around with making a new category, but I took you're advice on it and changed it to STEM.

4. There's no easy way to describe the action of the mamuta hitting a pikmin so hard that it grows roots. Its just awkward no matter what.

5. Meh. Low priority.

6. I think that is what I was using when I began this mod, so probably.

Also:

Fixed the additional errors. Except goolix layers. The thing is, this is just a really annoying creature to create. It needs to have limbs that are buried within its body so it can hit pikmin around like it does with them in the game. I have basically been trying to get the goolix working and balanced since day 3 and it still refuses to cooperate. Also the defining multiple layers issue (especially making water one of them) made the goolix incredibly susceptible to slicing and stabbing attacks so I moved to the fleshball set-up with the syndrome causing blood/secretion added on in order to try to balance that out. All around it's still not where I want it.

In addition:

1. Fixed honeywisps description. I have no idea why it was the same as pikmin...

2. Sorry about the graphics pack, I have kinda just gotten used to it and have about 0 knowlege when it comes to the graphics side of modding. That just isn't my forte.

3. Not sure how to decrease friendliness, but also I'm not sure if I'd want to. Pikmin seem like friendly creatures (unless you happen to be a bulborb, dweevil, snagret, bloyster, or other non-pikmin/astronaut creature). In fact they hang out together when off duty in groups, they all live in a tiny area together (Like sharing a bathroom with your whole family, but having 100 people in that family and all of them having to pee at once.), and they even decide to befriend a completely out-of-this-world new shiny astro-man as their leader. So it seems to make sense that they make friends.

4) The manager is a consolidated job of all three of the office job and it, at least for me, seems to increase the efficiency of all of them even though it's less specialized.

5) Just because you [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] doesn't mean you're [INTELLIGENT] ;). (The real non-snarky answer is that is simply no reason I didn't use the short-cut. It functions exactly the same.)
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2013, 01:54:06 am »

4. The problem is that you took the second person statements and used third person verbs with them. "slams a pikmin" should be "slam a pikmin", as the first one is 2nd person ("You slams a pikmin").

You really don't need the extra parts for the goolix; just name its attacks as if it does have the inner things and you should be fine.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 02:44:06 am »

Has anyone been getting proper dweevil sieges? I haven't seen one in this most recent version, but I haven't tested it nearly as much.

Also:

I did some editing with the beasts to make bulborbs tameable to some degree. In addition I gave all megabeasts trap avoid. As fun as it was to put at raging bloyster that killed 17 pikmin in a oak cage, it really just didn't seem fair. Also messed with the frequencies and all that to help balance things.

Still working on plants/grasses. I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with it completely because most of the plants wont serve as trees or as food. They're decoration in the Pikmin games and may not amount to much more than that in this mod. With a few exceptions.

Also, if i have a syndrome that turns a citizen into a different caste, they still stay a citizen right? They don't like stop working or anything odd like that?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 03:32:32 am »

Yeah, as long as it's all the same creature, it'll be fine.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 10:31:36 am »

What if it is a noncitizen being turned into a citizen (i mean the creature that the citizens happen to be in fort mode)? Would that new citizen function properly?

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2013, 12:31:48 pm »

I have not seen any dweevils at all, really. My first fort was part of a civ at war with a dweevil civ, but even then I never actually was attacked.

Also, I'm excited to see the plants going in! Although speaking of updates, would it be possible to make a non-graphics pack version of the raws you're adding? The only changes would be color and what tiles to use, which I can do but I'd like to use your choice for whatever they should be. If that's too much work I'll just do it myself when I get them.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 12:47:35 pm »

I have not seen any dweevils at all, really. My first fort was part of a civ at war with a dweevil civ, but even then I never actually was attacked.

Also, I'm excited to see the plants going in! Although speaking of updates, would it be possible to make a non-graphics pack version of the raws you're adding? The only changes would be color and what tiles to use, which I can do but I'd like to use your choice for whatever they should be. If that's too much work I'll just do it myself when I get them.

1) I was afraid of that, they declare war on you, but don't seem to siege. I'll add that to the list of bugs that need fixing.

2) I will try to remove graphics (although as of right now I have no idea how they are done, I used LNP forever ago to put them in). That way people can customize graphics as they see fit.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 01:32:03 pm »

I also just noticed that any cooked meal with pellet posies has a typo, "[pellet posy", which also causes the description to vanish after the it encounters the left bracket.

As for removing the graphics;

For all the inorganic_* raws I simply copied the vanilla ones over and they were all fixed, since I assumed you hadn't touched those yet.

I went through the plant raws and changed the tile symbol and colors because the graphics pack changed them to fit the symbols it had. Basically any color that has anything besides a 0 as the second of the three numbers should probably be changed to zero when not using the graphics, as that changes the background color and almost blinded me with all the bright purple and orange squares around all the shrubs, for example. The tiles can be set to whatever you find most fitting. I didn't mess with most trees, as I didn't feel like taking the time too and only have saguaro on the current map. They can probably be copied from vanilla anyway, though.

Vermin are the only creatures with awkward vanilla tiles, as you used letters for all your creatures. Wheelbarrows are the only item I noticed with a changed symbol.

The d_init and init files also had some changes, sky and chasm tiles were changed to be a solid blank I remember.
In the same folder is a color file, which was changed from vanilla. I just replaced that with a vanilla one and was fine.

I can't recall if there was much else.

All-in-all, I now know that graphics packs embed themselves deeply into just about everywhere with thick roots, but I think that should be most of the way back to non-graphics. Which in turn can have a different pack applied to it, should people want that I suppose.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 02:21:02 pm »

What if it is a noncitizen being turned into a citizen (i mean the creature that the citizens happen to be in fort mode)? Would that new citizen function properly?

As long as the noncitizen wasn't a pet or hostile before.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 04:23:02 pm »

Ummmmm, So then Putnam, what could they have been before?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 04:36:11 pm »

Not a pet or hostile. A neutral animal.

Yeah, it's a bit more difficult. I would use onions to do this: onions have seven castes, male (i don't know what you'd do for that), blue female, red female, yellow female, red seed, blue seed, and yellow seed. The male and females are pets; the seeds are not. When the seeds are born, they secrete a substance that transforms them into the respective pikmin color.

I thought you were talking about pellet posies with the original question, which is why I thought it would be so straightforward.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2013, 04:51:23 pm »

I was talking about bulbmin and the flowers that change pikmin color (the flowers were citizen to citizen and the bulbmin were animal to citizen.)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2013, 05:29:25 pm »

not pellet posies, I meant candypop buds :P get those mixed up.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 02:13:59 am »

Ok, so the plan is to upload my bug fix and then finish plants.

FIXED:
1) Misc Dweevil civilization problems
2) The not eating bug
3) Almost everything Putnam pointed out
4) Balance issues with megabeasts

NOT FIXED:
1) Annoyingly evil hellspawn Goolix

The problem with plants are that most of them wouldn't really be usable as a replacement for trees (like they don't have wood, but instead have stems). Shoots would give wood, and maybe like 1 other, but the rest... Really unsure what to do with them. I'll have to find something to do with low density dandelion stems, like really, you can't build a fort out of that. Uploading and all that will happen tomorrow at some point. Then i'll do candypop buds, bulbmin, and that mushroom thing from the first game.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 03:19:03 am »

You could always make some trees drop logs made of a material that evaporates into a "cloud of dust".
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5