Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Wayward Terran frontier - When FTL and SS13 have a party  (Read 16885 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Wayward Terran frontier - When FTL and SS13 have a party
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2013, 02:40:36 pm »

Just left click the console. They don't really navigate that much, tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2013, 03:18:15 pm »

Just left click the console. They don't really navigate that much, tough.

Well, they follow the standard AI navigation program, which basically consists of flying into range of the enemy, and then standing still and unloading with everything you've got. Well, if the enemy gets too close they'll also run away, but seeing as you're only up against the AI... that'll never happen. You're better off just flying (and blasting the enemies) yourself.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2013, 07:24:44 pm »

I've found the AI to be an unusually competent gunner, so if you focus on flying, they can shell the enemy into oblivion.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2013, 12:45:40 am »

N-n-n-n-necro a bit. A new update came out right as I decided to check this out. Apparently there is now multiplayer that allows multiple players on one ship. Anyone fancy a game?
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2013, 12:41:41 pm »

I've tried updating but now that I've updated it just crashes on startup.
Signature goes here.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2013, 02:08:52 pm »

The website seems down, and I updated before I read your post. Whoops.

edit: Works fine for me.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2018, 09:48:32 pm »

Necro time! Just discovered the game after Nookrium played it and uploaded a video of it. Streamed the game much longer than I probably should have today and had ridiculous fun.

Since a lot must've changed since the last post and I have no idea what it was like, I'll try my best to describe the game.

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/392080/Wayward_Terran_Frontier_Zero_Falls/

-If I had to pick what games it most resembles, I'd say the game is some mix of Reassembly, Starsector, a sprinkling of Heat Signature, and some vague relation to FTL. The look/design of the ship and station interiors reminds me of Heat Signature and so does the hazard of getting suddenly blown out into space if you go out the wrong airlock or the room you're currently standing in suddenly finds itself missing a chunk.

-The ship combat controls are pretty much just like Starsector and take some getting used to but work great once you're comfortable with them.

-The game has predefined ship hull sizes/shapes, but you can design the interior of the ship however you want. I've spent a load of time having fun with this as it's kind of like a design puzzle. How do I fit all the subsystems, the corridors, and route plasma conduits to power it all within this given space? What's going to happen to this ship once holes are punched into it, are there redundancies? Am I likely to lose access to some parts of the ships? Tons of things to consider if you want to push a hull to its limits.

-The game is moddable with a a bunch of extra ships in the workshop. I think most Starsector ships have been added to this game as mods.
Ships for the most part don't function on a HP system. When you get shot, there's some degree of penetration and destruction of your hull and pixels will visibly get altered and destroyed on the hull, causing pretty spectacular-looking battle damage. This destruction isn't limited to the hull you see while piloting the ship, it also carries to the inside of the ship, which leads to my next point.

-You can walk around ships/stations and have to man consoles to do things like fly a ship. You have to deal with depressurization, gaping holes in corridors that will suck you out into space, fires, ship gunfire/explosions hitting you directly. You internal ship design will really matter in battle.

-You can board ships and stations, whether or not they want you to if you manage to line up your docking port with theirs at close enough range(pretty hard against a moving target in battle). Once on ships an stations, you can use guns to dispatch enemy crewmen or alien infestations.

-Ships are free and this lets you experiment and have as much dumb fun as you want. Your base is an old terraforming station which seems to have the ability to pump out any ship blueprint as long as it's within a certain cap and your character is one of many clones created for the sole purpose of doing a sassy AI's dirty work(the sassy AI is great and I'm not just saying that because he controls my cloning chamber). Dying/losing your ship is not a big deal and the AI will even encourage you to go kill yourself on multiple occasions. The respawn mechanics seem to be integrated into the story, which is a nice little touch.

Overall I find the game pretty enjoyable. I don't know how much content is in it at the moment, but the mechanics are going to keep me entertained for a while. If you like Starsector and want some more gameplay depth/complexity, you'll love this game.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:12:29 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2018, 03:56:28 pm »

I tried this today. Very early mission where you are sent to an alien infested station to get some gear. Cannot kill the aliens and die repeatedly. Seems like a common thing from the steam discussion page. Refunded

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2018, 05:48:19 pm »

I tried this today. Very early mission where you are sent to an alien infested station to get some gear. Cannot kill the aliens and die repeatedly. Seems like a common thing from the steam discussion page. Refunded

That seems to be a problem with some people. I think any station will do. the thing to keep in mind is that due to current mechanics, if you end up luring a bunch of enemies to the air lock, which is the loading point, you can sort of trap yourself. I'm not sure if your starting gear is random. I had a shotgun to start with and it dealt with my first station relatively well, but I've seen Nookrium having some issues starting too. It's an early access game which is still under heavy development so things are bound to need tweaking.

Edit: devs tell me bugs were nerfed in the current dev version to deal with this issue and they'll be buffing them back up once they've resolved the issue with the stacking on the airlock.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:28:29 pm by Ygdrad »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2018, 06:36:08 pm »

This was amazing when you could build ships in a editor and then have em fight, now its this weird fucking thing where I can't build my own ship with my own design with all parts and I hate every part of that. Old version's still cool thou.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2018, 08:28:09 pm »

This was amazing when you could build ships in a editor and then have em fight, now its this weird fucking thing where I can't build my own ship with my own design with all parts and I hate every part of that. Old version's still cool thou.

That's not much of a game though, more like a tech demo or testing ground. The devs are making it into a game. You can access all the parts, you just have to research them. If you're not happy with the available hulls, you can relatively easily add your own with the tools the devs made for it. Just randomly throwing ship designs at each other might have been funny, but it's not what would've kept most people playing. It would've been more of a toy than a game.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]