Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Wayward Terran frontier - When FTL and SS13 have a party  (Read 16868 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wayward Terran frontier - When FTL and SS13 have a party
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 06:15:16 am »

It's fun, but the AI can be extremely frustrating and need more feedback on build screen.

The AI is the worst, crappy and predictatble enough to fall for the same trick everytime, but good enough after that to drag things out for way too long

I imagine that the AI won't be the highlight of the game, I mean it sounds like a game you play against other people. But There could be some improvement :)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 06:52:31 am »

Well it is afterall, in devlpment, we have to see the big picture here. And the big picture is frigging nice.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 06:59:45 am »

Posting to watch, also to spam dev for installer :P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:01:34 am by The Darkling Wolf »
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 08:07:23 am »

This looks increadibly promising! Sign me up for testing! E-mail sent.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 09:03:46 am »

I can kinda sorta see the comparison to ss13.  In the future you'll be able to have multiple people controlling members of a ship's crew.  Once the larger-scale stuff like storylines and exploration is in, I could see greater potential for ss13-type gameplay.  Hopefully not as awful as ss13 tends to be.  Like it or not, ss13 brings out the worst in people.
Shoes...

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 09:25:58 am »

I can kinda sorta see the comparison to ss13.  In the future you'll be able to have multiple people controlling members of a ship's crew.  Once the larger-scale stuff like storylines and exploration is in, I could see greater potential for ss13-type gameplay.  Hopefully not as awful as ss13 tends to be.  Like it or not, ss13 brings out the worst in people.

Those were exactly my thoughts when i made the comparison, i suppose a better one would have been something else, but SS13 possibilities just jumped first.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 10:17:02 am »

I am eagerly looking forward to the ability to open exterior hatches or take hull damage and vent the ship, which will not only damage the crew but drag them towards the hole. It will be glorious, seeing your teammates *woosh* right out a hole in the hull.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 03:42:48 pm »

I've downloaded and started it. I'm really impessed not only by the game concept but by the presentation as well.

It looks quite pretty and could easily become a mainstream smash hit like Terraria for example. I understand that you want to make this your lifelong project though.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 03:55:15 pm »

Where are you guys finding the installers?

E: I got it, I got it. I'll just check up on this when he releases an Alpha.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 04:03:32 pm »

Is there any way to edit the budget? I want to play around with the larger ships. Also, The AI definitely needs a bit of work, there like LoL beginner bots, when you hit them they run away, and you can just chase after them and kill them off. Make them actually FIGHT!

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2013, 04:33:28 pm »

Curse you internet for making me so impatient. I sent the email 3 minutes ago and I'm already getting antsy waiting for the installer. I'm highly anticipating it. I saw the video posted where he's going over building ships and the various mechanics, and when I checked the thread today and saw a download link I started salivating.

splad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 04:44:42 pm »

Is there any way to edit the budget? I want to play around with the larger ships. Also, The AI definitely needs a bit of work, there like LoL beginner bots, when you hit them they run away, and you can just chase after them and kill them off. Make them actually FIGHT!

The debugging cheat code is "tacotaco"

Enter that as a ship profile name and it increases your budget. Subject to change in the next patch.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2013, 05:06:22 pm »

Something I noticed is that a ship can be sheared completely in half and will still (assuming controls still work after that kind of punishment) move as a single unit.  I know we're a little premature to be discussing deformation and the like, but can we expect that kind of altering the structure of the ship or is it just not doable with the engine? 

Like, onced multiplayer crews are in, having your ship break up or being in a turret arm that's sliced off would be a very interesting situation if the severed piece was treated as a new ship entity with its own physics.

Beyond that, what about inertial shearing and deformation?  If the structure component is damaged, could I tear my ship in half turning too fast, or deform the structure around the break point?  The severing doesn't seem like it would be too tough if the engine supports reorganizing entities on the fly, but this is a little more complex.
Shoes...

splad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2013, 05:51:36 pm »

Breaking off of portions of the ship is one of the things I will work on soon, however stress caused by movement probably not. Movement is not a discrete event like being shot, so it is harder to quantify now much should break and when. Also the synchronization in multiplayer would be harder.

When a ship is split in two, it should definitely treat the resulting entities as if they are both ships.

Ai is pretty stupid right now and I will probably look into improving it this weekend. It needs to be better and worse at the same time.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2013, 05:53:34 pm »

I feel I must ask, how does one actually move one's ship?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9