Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Arms and Armor discussion  (Read 34573 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Arms and Armor discussion
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2013, 01:56:05 pm »

Phalanxes used sarissas, I'm not sure what the spear used by hoplites was called, though.
*facepalm*

The Hoplites were what made up a phalanx...

False. Hoplites fought in something akin to a shield wall with 15ft spears. Phalanxes fought in a phalanx/spearwall using 18ft pikes.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2013, 01:57:40 pm »

Rhomphaia [And the Falx] > Every other Bladed Weaponry.

For note: The Romans had to change their entire strategy and upgrade their armor to deal with these weapons.

I guess hacked-off limbs made Trajan squeamish.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2013, 01:58:21 pm »

Phalanxes used sarissas, I'm not sure what the spear used by hoplites was called, though.
*facepalm*

False. Hoplites fought in something akin to a shield wall with 15ft spears. Phalanxes fought in a phalanx/spearwall using 18ft pikes.
*double facepalm*
Hoplites fought in a phalanx. Phalanxes is the plural of Phalanx. Macedonian Hoplites fought in Phalanxes with their Sarissas. Greek Hoplites fought in Phalanxes with their Dorys.

Phalanxs is a tactic, not the name of a soldier.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2013, 02:00:29 pm »

*facepalm*

*double facepalm*
Hoplites fought in a phalanx. Phalanxes is the plural of Phalanx. Macedonian Hoplites fought in Phalanxes with their Sarissas. Greek Hoplites fought in Phalanxes with their Dorys.

*triple facepalm*

A phalanx is a knucklebone, guys. I am currently assaulting this board with a force of thirty phalanges.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2013, 02:03:04 pm »

How meta(carpal).
This is a blank sig.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2013, 02:07:56 pm »

For note: The Romans had to change their entire strategy and upgrade their armor to deal with these weapons.

ouch, that looks like a nasty piece of blade.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2013, 02:10:58 pm »

I quite like the look of a Falchion
This is a blank sig.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2013, 02:18:41 pm »

*facepalm*

*double facepalm*

I am aware of that. Alexander and his successors employed soldiers called phalangites. Who used sarissas and fought in a phalanx, as I said. Hoplites used larger shields and shorter spears.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2013, 02:34:25 pm »

Without their shields Roman swords would be of not much use. Also the classical "throw a pilum at that dual wielding barbarian at point blank".
Yep, that's what the entire Roman Strategy was built as. the Shield Wall technique, with the pilum being used to thin out the charging enemy armies, then intercepting the mass of the people invading with your mighty shields and chopping your opponents up with your Gladius. The only bad thing about this strategy is its weakness to flanking attacks, but that was countered by using either Auxilia or more legionarries, and in later stages of the combat, if the situation was favourable, the legionarries stationed at the sides would move towards the mass of enemies in the middle, trapping them in a pincer movement.

Chopped bits of the Germanic Tribes, anyone?

Missed this before...

Actually, the Roman system, post-Marian, was far from a shield wall. The maniples were staggered for purposes of maneuverability. And gladii do not cut nor chop. They stab. As Vegetius says,

"They were likewise taught not to cut but to thrust with their swords. For the Romans not only made a jest of those who fought with the edge of that weapon, but always found them an easy conquest. A stroke with the edges, though made with ever so much force, seldom kills, as the vital parts of the body are defended both by the bones and armor. On the contrary, a stab, though it penetrates but two inches, is generally fatal. Besides in the attitude of striking, it is impossible to avoid exposing the right arm and side; but on the other hand, the body is covered while a thrust is given, and the adversary receives the point before he sees the sword. This was the method of fighting principally used by the Romans, and their reason for exercising recruits with arms of such a weight at first was, that when they came to carry the common ones so much lighter, the greater difference might enable them to act with greater security and alacrity in time of action." -- De Re Militaris

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2013, 02:40:31 pm »

Side note: were the swords in the original for this image http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Chest_of_Courtrai_-_Falchion_w.jpg really painted blue, green and red (well - purple) or is it an anonimous prank?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2013, 02:41:55 pm »

Blade polearms like the Falx and Naginata are definitely awesome.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2013, 02:45:12 pm »

Blade polearms like the Falx and Naginata are definitely awesome.
^

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2013, 03:06:56 pm »

Side note: were the swords in the original for this image http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Chest_of_Courtrai_-_Falchion_w.jpg really painted blue, green and red (well - purple) or is it an anonimous prank?
I believe that the falchions were highlighted in the image for the purpose of showing what they look like and making them easy to see.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2013, 03:11:00 pm »

I'll just try to address a bunch of the points i just saw mentioned.
The Katana: It is capable of cutting european style armor, in the very least a basic breastlate, this has been demonstrated.
The Katana taken all by itself is not a versatile weapon, this is why the style surrounding the katana is centered around footwork and positioning to allow fluid striking. It's not a very good defensive weapon, so it forces wielders to defend by being aggressive. Both of these strategies help to shore up the weaknesses of using the weapon, but it's most effective in short battles. Fortunatly, few of the kinds of battles samurai engaged in lasted very long.

European Medieval Armor: A lot of people seem to assume that medieval europe was always technologically backwards, that things like screws and interlocking plates at joints was something that was just beyond them. This is not true, such technologies did not spring instantly into existence. I don't know much about roman armor, but medieval plate armor is not cumbersome, i keep seeing that generalization made.
As i said, i don't know a whole lot about roman armor, so i'm curious about what you folks have to say about it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2013, 03:21:20 pm »

The Katana: It is capable of cutting european style armor, in the very least a basic breastlate, this has been demonstrated.
Sauces please.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14