Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Parties: worth it?  (Read 7731 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Parties: worth it?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 01:09:28 pm »

My solution to this is segregated social levels. That way my farmers won't be upset if the warriors get killed.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 02:14:08 pm »

By having a 1 tile meeting zone, I'm pretty sure my dwarves are improving their social skills and making friends. So it sounds like actually designating a meeting place would just result in parties, which don't do more than I'm already doing.
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 06:40:32 pm »

Have you a fort which employs this strategy that you wouldn't mind showing off? I'd love to see something like this. If you don't want to upload game save, perhaps you could upload maps to the wiki or the DF Map Archive?
Just in case wierd doesn't reply...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's kind of a mess because this is my first attempt at isolating dwarves, but hopefully the workings are clear enough. To the left you have a couple of smallish stockpiles for the empty bags and pots that the pod needs for flour and booze production, and also a 1x1 stockpile / garbage dump for transporting anything that ends up unforbidden on that tile (I used it to supply the pod with furniture). To the right you have a single stockpile that accepts any products produced by the pod and destined for the main fortress. The levels above hold the workshops, which are connected to this single stockpile by a web of links that I won't reproduce because I've figured out how to dispense with the links.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 07:51:48 pm »

I will dedicate several hours of time this weekend to the goal of refitting and redesigning my current megaproject site into a good working demo.  It is at a sufficiently early stage of construction for this to be feasible. (Volcano isn't tapped yet, only simple raw material infrastructure of temporary natures are in place, etc.)

The time I usually haunt these forums is when I am actually supposed to be working for my employer, and loke Vox, I deal with "oooh, it has DoD stamped on it!" Schematics and datasheets for military hardware, as well as many "vendor proprietary" documents as well. Unlike him, I am somehow allowed to have a cameraphone at work, and post my messages with that. This makes gametime at work a nonstarter, and my long commute times make gameplay on weekdays another nonstarter. (Time at work + time driving there and back + time sleeping == 24hrs.) This is why I complain so mightily sometimes about lost weekend time. It's the only "me time" I have, and is rather precious.

I will do the build, it will just take awhile. Especally if family members intrude again, for a 4th weekend in a row, and cause me to have to blow a bloodvessel on them. :D

Thanks for sharing something that is already made to help him understand sutremaine. :D

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 11:52:09 pm »

Whaa...

Explain.

EDIT: and the other side too. Too lazy to draw that in addition
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:53:49 pm by TruePikachu »
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 12:25:22 pm »

See here.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 01:24:04 pm »

Ah. I knew about the impulse ramps, but didn't know about the safety function at the ends.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 02:46:02 pm »

People hate on dwarf parties too much. I like long term forts: 10 years at least, so they can run in the background when I am working. Usually there is a tantrum spiral around years 5-8: many migrants are coming, but security is tentative and terrible losses are frequent. I just ride it out, toss the dead into the volcano and monitor who remains sane. Usually a fort will grind down to about 30% population of whom half will be insane and so dead-dwarves-walking. The remaining 15 are the solid backbone of your fort, they will never break again.

The other function is that tantrum spirals are toughest on children, who know everybody, and are the natural way of disposing of children without taking measures yourself. I am personally hoping for one for some time now, my fort is overpopulated and I don't have the heart for initiating a cull, so parties for everyone!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 07:25:05 pm »

You can get the same preparation for natural selection by using a small meeting zone. The dwarves will admire the statues in their own rights instead of admiring their tasteful arrangement, but I can live with that.

Ah. I knew about the impulse ramps, but didn't know about the safety function at the ends.
It makes for a pretty good panic room with all the security precautions. All you need is a puddle of water and a small year-round plump helmet farm (preferably these plants are grown nowhere else in the fortress), and the (armoured!) dwarves there can sustain themselves even if you forget about the booze supply.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 04:02:16 pm »

Can't you just use burrows so that certain dwarves can only make it to certain party zones? That way you could have several meeting areas even in the same room and still keep the social segregation.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 04:13:52 pm »

Dwarves often treat burrows and burrow restrictions as "general guidelines" and not as "red shirts don't go in blue hallways! Master computer has spoken!" Type hard rules.

As such, if a dwarf has a preference for x type of alcohol, and that alcohol is only in bluesector, urist mcredhsirt will just waltz right on over there, pick it up, and the guzzle it down while chatting it up with the blue shirts.

You can mitigate this with some micromanagement, by saying the stockpiles obey burrow restrictions, etc... but it is still not as 100% effective as a well designed isobooth fortress. Literally, the dwarf simply cannot get into the blue sector, without authorization.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 08:15:59 pm »

Burrow boundaries should be as solid as walls until the dwarf's physical needs are strong enough for them to leave, but they aren't. A dwarf will take a hauling job because the stockpile is in their burrow, but will cancel it immediately because the item is outside the burrow. Imagine if hauling jobs in general worked the same way? "Urist McDwarf cancels Store Item In Stockpile: Stone Hauling not enabled." That's where burrows are now.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 08:41:24 pm »

I don't mind parties. They can add to the lore and character of a fort, and it's nice to imagine your dorfs singing and swearing loudly and drunkenly while holding drinking games around the gold statues of "Urist McUrist getting struck down by the Bronze Collossus Ted the Vicious Savior."

My forts rarely last long enough for sieges, much less potential tantrum spirals anyway. I should try to play through a fort sometime.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 06:51:41 am »

I don't care if dwarfes make friends.
All you need is a nice waterfall, and even the loss of 100 friends will be forgotten.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 01:04:03 pm »

Parties are always worht it. They always seem to result in a !!Fun!! time!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 [2] 3