Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 767923 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2013, 05:15:58 pm »

That's the idea, yes, Toady's approved it so I'm just waiting for the paperwork to be pushed through.

A Georgia state senator's timely call for...hammer control. Or something. Man, what is it with Georgia?
I'm pretty sure my state's senators are kinda crazy. Then again, we're Georgia.
We could find no record of a mass murders with frying pans or hammers.
...imagine that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2013, 05:18:17 pm »

That's the idea, yes, Toady's approved it so I'm just waiting for the paperwork to be pushed through.

A Georgia state senator's timely call for...hammer control. Or something. Man, what is it with Georgia?
Georgia's problem is actually quite similar to Florida's... and Alabama's. They're a little less hot, but also jammed chock full of drugs. Seriously, the Tri-state area down here is one of the heaviest drug trafficking areas in the states. It makes a difference, for many reasons, only some of them directly related to consumption.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2013, 06:01:29 pm »

He is misunderstanding/misrepresenting the statistics.

There ARE more people murdered each year with blunt objects than are murdered with "Assault Weapons". But that is not the case when you expand that to include all guns.

I wonder if the federal assault weapons, etc., already had some impact on those statistics.

Like saying the polio vaccine was a waste of time because where's the polio?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2013, 06:46:14 pm »

He is misunderstanding/misrepresenting the statistics.

There ARE more people murdered each year with blunt objects than are murdered with "Assault Weapons". But that is not the case when you expand that to include all guns.

I wonder if the federal assault weapons, etc., already had some impact on those statistics.

Like saying the polio vaccine was a waste of time because where's the polio?

From what I recall of the statistics I have recently seen, the previous ban has had little if any impact on # or % of murders with "assault weapons". Assault Weapons are among the most popular firearms in the US, yet they account for much smaller % of murders than their popularity would indicate. The majority of murders are committed with handguns and are related to drug trafficking.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2013, 07:55:06 pm »

Quite a lot of murders are drug related but it's nowhere near a majority.  I think the rate by assault weapon varies wildly according to what you count as an assault weapon.  The reason that legislation is restricted to "assault weapons" is probably due to the political difficulty in legislating against the guns that are used in most murders.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2013, 08:11:43 pm »

Quite a lot of murders are drug related but it's nowhere near a majority.  I think the rate by assault weapon varies wildly according to what you count as an assault weapon.  The reason that legislation is restricted to "assault weapons" is probably due to the political difficulty in legislating against the guns that are used in most murders.

Yeah?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2013, 08:21:21 pm »

Yeah?

CNN had a nice little bit after the State of the Union had a nice little bit about the number of deaths per weapon type. They put rifles at 4% of gun deaths and shotguns at 4%. Leaving the nice, large majority stuck squarely on the hands of . . . handguns.

I mean, I know that pistol grips and p mags are scary things that should only be seen in a vidja game, but I'm a lot more worried about getting popped in a ghetto with a Saturday night special than with a long arm.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2013, 08:33:22 pm »

Yeah?

Well, yeah, if you actually take a second to look up the statistics, rather than "gut reaction".

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/12/the-single-best-anti-gun-death-policy-ending-the-drug-war/266505/
Reliable statistics on the number of drug-related murders in the United States are hard to come by. A 1994 Department of Justice report suggested that between a third and a half of U.S. homicides were drug-related, while a recent Center for Disease Control study found that the rate varied between 5% and 25% (a 2002 Bureau of Justice report splits the difference).

If you don't believe the official estimates, you need a better reason than "coz i said so".

Whilst they're not the majority of gun murders, they're still a significant fraction, though. Mind you, the vast bulk of actual gun deaths in the USA are suicide. Leading to the question of whether guns in households make suicide too easy ... which is a whole other gun debate.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:36:43 pm by Reelya »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2013, 08:55:00 pm »

Yeah?

CNN had a nice little bit after the State of the Union had a nice little bit about the number of deaths per weapon type. They put rifles at 4% of gun deaths and shotguns at 4%. Leaving the nice, large majority stuck squarely on the hands of . . . handguns.

I mean, I know that pistol grips and p mags are scary things that should only be seen in a vidja game, but I'm a lot more worried about getting popped in a ghetto with a Saturday night special than with a long arm.
Hear hear. On top of that, it's a lot harder to pull a shotgun or rifle from the waistband of your pants at a moment's notice.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:17:33 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2013, 12:27:34 pm »

An overview of the current filibuster against Chuck Hagel, and why it's a problem.

New from the FreedomWorks SuperPAC: hot Hillary-on-panda action.

The first link, of course Hagel is going to be filibustered by the republicans. He worked for Reagan, so he must be a pinko commie leftist.

The second link... wtf. Note that the article is mostly about financial malfeasance at freedom works, not the fake panda on Hillary video they produced.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2013, 01:10:00 pm »

The first link, of course Hagel is going to be filibustered by the republicans. He worked for Reagan, so he must be a pinko commie leftist.
Hey man....you know Reagan pushed an AMNESTY to illegal immigrants in '86? No shit! And he supported the assault weapons ban, and was a big proponent of gun control when he was Governor of that cesspit of liberalism, California. Makes you wonder what other bleeding-heart stuff he was hiding....

Life > Satire.
Nixon and Reagan are being Doppler-shifted into liberals because the Republican Party is receding from reality at near-light speeds.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2013, 01:33:57 pm »

...The farther away something is, the bluer it gets?

Well, we always knew they were anti-science...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:38:03 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2013, 02:04:48 pm »

Hey man....you know Reagan pushed an AMNESTY to illegal immigrants in '86? No shit! And he supported the assault weapons ban, and was a big proponent of gun control when he was Governor of that cesspit of liberalism, California. Makes you wonder what other bleeding-heart stuff he was hiding....

Life > Satire.
Nixon and Reagan are being Doppler-shifted into liberals because the Republican Party is receding from reality at near-light speeds.
I'd give Nixon a "moderate" title at the very least, even without the GOP's downward spiral. He founded the EPA, founded OSHA, passed the Clean Air Act, desegregated the South, started affirmative action, supported the space program, tried to pass national heath care, had a much saner view of the War on Drugs even if he started it, and supported the Equal Rights Amendment.

This was during the infancy of the Religious Right, after all. Nixon was a Goldwater Republican at worst. We think badly of him because of Watergate, but besides that he wasn't a bad president. Shit, if he and Obama existed during the same political period they probably would have ended up being running mates at some point. Modern Republicans would have probably accused him of being a communist infiltrator or something.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2013, 02:11:57 pm »

Life > Satire.
I'd give Nixon a "moderate" title at the very least, even without the GOP's downward spiral. He founded the EPA, founded OSHA, passed the Clean Air Act, desegregated the South, started affirmative action, supported the space program, tried to pass national heath care, had a much saner view of the War on Drugs even if he started it, and supported the Equal Rights Amendment.

This was during the infancy of the Religious Right, after all. Nixon was a Goldwater Republican at worst. We think badly of him because of Watergate, but besides that he wasn't a bad president. Shit, if he and Obama existed during the same political period they probably would have ended up being running mates at some point. Modern Republicans would have probably accused him of being a communist infiltrator or something.
You forgot "opened dialogue with Mao Zedong". That alone would get him impeached these days.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 667