Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 765088 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2013, 09:46:29 am »

You lot better make this woman your president.
I agree. Although asking those questions probably made that impossible to ever happen.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2013, 09:53:53 am »

It'll only happen in the short term if she's nominated and the Republicans picked a nutcase like Santorum.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2013, 10:41:27 am »

A quick look at On The Issues makes me skeptical of her. She opposes drug legalization and hasn't voiced an opinion on a lot of things.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2013, 11:00:55 am »

A quick look at On The Issues makes me skeptical of her. She opposes drug legalization and hasn't voiced an opinion on a lot of things.
Making wall street accountable for their actions is a good step though.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2013, 11:58:28 am »

It doesn't mean much if she's bad or a waffle on everything else. I wouldn't vote for someone who wants to make Wall Street accountable but also thinks the US should be a Christian state, for example.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2013, 12:11:34 pm »

It doesn't mean much if she's bad or a waffle on everything else. I wouldn't vote for someone who wants to make Wall Street accountable but also thinks the US should be a Christian state, for example.
:/

For all the good the first amendment is supposed to serve .-.

What are the odds of a non-christian president ever being elected to office within the next 5 decades?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2013, 12:11:46 pm »

You lot better make this woman your president.

As I watched this video a rainbow suddenly appeared in my drink.

This woman is awesome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2013, 12:24:08 pm »

What are the odds of a non-christian president ever being elected to office within the next 5 decades?
I'd say it's pretty high. Christianity is on the decline in America, both in intensity and frequency.

Of course, there will always be the people who say that every President is going to be an old white Christian male, but that's already been broken so they've switched over to old Christian males. I think we'll probably get a female President before a non-Christian President, though.

Of course, we could always go all out when the GOP implodes and elect a 35-year old gay female atheist to the Presidency, that would be fun.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2013, 12:27:28 pm »

There's a hell of a difference between de facto and de jure in this case, though, and it's damn arguable that it's even one de facto. America's never really been run by Christian values, no matter how hard some of the nutjobs try to spout it. We've pretty much always been about the greenbacks, with a side order of idealized individualism and a smattering of other stuff. Yeah, Christian ideology isn't exactly influent-less, but we're a hell of a long way from a Christian state. By and large we've managed a pretty good (far from ideal, sure, but we've seen how it can be worse via the nutjobs) separation between church and state in action, if not always in rhetoric.

Lot of folks in this joint claim to be Christian but outside some monkeysphere/good-old-boy stuff related to church affiliation it's just something they do on Sundays.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2013, 01:17:58 pm »

I'd say it's pretty high. Christianity is on the decline in America, both in intensity and frequency.

We are still riding high in the wave of new fundamentalism. There may be more people admitting to atheism or non christian religions, but you also have more people going the opposite direction. There is a very active and dedicated group of people spending every bit of they focus and energy at turning the US into a christian state, and they have been making progress.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2013, 01:22:24 pm »

We are still riding high in the wave of new fundamentalism. There may be more people admitting to atheism or non christian religions, but you also have more people going the opposite direction. There is a very active and dedicated group of people spending every bit of they focus and energy at turning the US into a christian state, and they have been making progress.
It isn't new so much as it is a backlash to the losses they've suffered. Back in the day most of the things modern fundamentalists wanted were just plain law, and not opposed by anyone in the mainstream.  They haven't been making progress. They're on the defensive, and still losing. Any gains they make are transient and failing.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2013, 01:38:21 pm »

If I'm elected that'll be Eastern Orthodox president, which is at least new and exciting comaparitevely.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2013, 01:38:28 pm »

There's a difference between "The president is a Christian" and "The State Religion is Christianity."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2013, 01:46:49 pm »

There's a difference between "The president is a Christian" and "The State Religion is Christianity."
The very fact that a non-Christian president is not an immediate possibility is what I was referring to.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 17, 2013, 01:54:12 pm »

I think a non-christian president would be a possibility if there were any true candidates.

How many non-Christians ARE there in the senate, house, or governor positions? I can only think of a few, and they're recent.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 667