Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 767934 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's Murrican Politics Megathread 2: So dysfunction. Much Congress. Wow.
« Reply #5925 on: February 05, 2014, 11:31:14 am »

Note that this is also why the invasions of Canada in both the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812 were launched. French-Canadian discomfort with British rule was seen (rightly or wrongly) as the making of a powerful "14th colony" that would deprive Britain of a major staging area to threaten the interior lines of the seccessionist (and later independent) colonies.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: February 05, 2014, 01:04:00 pm »

Of course, both times the invasions failed because the Quebecois didn't "rise up against the English oppressors" in any significant numbers and, indeed, tended to join local militias in fighting off the invaders. Yeah, Quebec didn't have the autonomy that the 13 Colonies originally did, but Quebec was a comparably tiny colony, had an altogether different history (comparably no autonomy even under French rule, small population meant more co-existence with natives and less bloodthirsty expansion), and very little interest in joining with the Americans.

Anyhow, the Proclamation Line of 1763 was mostly put into place so as to protect the natives that were either allied with the British or had surrendered in good faith after the 7 Years War. Sure enough, once the Americans were capable, they pretty well cleared out everyone they were able to from the Ohio River Valley, which is part of the reason why Tecumseh and company ended up supporting the British in the War of 1812.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: February 05, 2014, 02:22:17 pm »

Of course, both times the invasions failed because the Quebecois didn't "rise up against the English oppressors" in any significant numbers and, indeed, tended to join local militias in fighting off the invaders. Yeah, Quebec didn't have the autonomy that the 13 Colonies originally did, but Quebec was a comparably tiny colony, had an altogether different history (comparably no autonomy even under French rule, small population meant more co-existence with natives and less bloodthirsty expansion), and very little interest in joining with the Americans.

Didn't say the assumption was correct, just that that's what they were banking on.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: February 05, 2014, 03:19:42 pm »

But surely when we launch our war of liberation the civilians will rise up and join us, welcoming us as heroes, one of  these days. We just gotta keep trying!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: February 05, 2014, 07:59:01 pm »

The GOP is stupid, but fielding Romney/Christie would be a stretch even for them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: February 05, 2014, 08:27:35 pm »

there's no "even for us," there's no way I'm voting for that jackass (Mittens) in the primary.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: February 05, 2014, 08:29:56 pm »

So have the democrats put forward anybody yet? I mean it is all very well discussing what republican you would prefer the least, but at some point somebody has to step forward that you would actually vote for, right?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: February 05, 2014, 08:32:43 pm »

Well, no body wants Uncle Joe Biden, Obama probably won't endorse Hillary, and frankly that's about it! Unless they want someone of arguably less fame/experience/influence in the white house.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: February 05, 2014, 08:34:11 pm »

Is there a reason nobody wants Biden? I thought he was pretty good at this sort of stuff...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: February 05, 2014, 08:36:08 pm »

Biden was a very active and effective Senator, but his reputation kind of nosedived after becoming VP. He just has a tendency for excessive informality and misspeaking. It's not impossible, but he's going to have to work to become less goofy. I'd prefer him over Hillary because Biden is quite the idealist, especially for a man of his age.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: February 05, 2014, 09:02:47 pm »

I don't know about that. A large part of what got Bush II his support was his own goofiness and "everyman" persona. The ability to present yourself as NOT one of the typical "stuffed shirts" could be a very potent advantage, especially after Obama's extreme seriousness (which isn't a bad thing by any means, but it does reduce relateability a bit. It's worked well for Obama because, along with the goofiness, Bush II projected an aura of extreme incompetence to the point where even fairly intelligent comments of his were treated as Wiggumisms, and a more serious tone was a welcome change.)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5938 on: February 05, 2014, 09:09:51 pm »

Obama has extreme seriousness?

A fair bit of the stuff I've seen of him is him poking fun at... all sorts of stuff. Such as the accusations that he wasn't born in America, to which he replied with the Lion King's intro.

Obama has been pretty good at not putting his foot in his mouth. You can't really say that for Biden or George II.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 667