Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 757153 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #6480 on: April 07, 2014, 09:17:24 pm »

I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: April 07, 2014, 09:25:18 pm »

Even if you don't ignore obvious troll answers (such as every single answer in North America), the clustering isn't really that bad, viewed in a geopolitical context. The vast majority of answers are either in very close proximity to the Ukraine, in Western Russia (these are likely the older respondents who remember that giant blob as the Soviet Union, and remembering that the Ukraine was along the western edge), or just across the southern border instead of the western one. In other words, the vast majority believe that the crisis is happening in the central region of Europe. This is correct, even if many were off in the strict technical sense. It's not really that different from Europeans who think all of the US is California or Texas.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: April 07, 2014, 10:17:56 pm »

Then again: Greenland.

The ones in the steppes are also a little weird, what's up with Kazakhstan? I GUESS it kind of vaguely looks like Ukraine, and if all you'd seen recently were isolated maps of Ukraine, the big country that looks sort of how you remember that funny lookin' country being will pop out more than the similar one bundled up with a whole lot of other countries. Still a little strange though!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: April 07, 2014, 10:22:24 pm »

The ones in the steppes are also a little weird, what's up with Kazakhstan? I GUESS it kind of vaguely looks like Ukraine, and if all you'd seen recently were isolated maps of Ukraine, the big country that looks sort of how you remember that funny lookin' country being will pop out more than the similar one bundled up with a whole lot of other countries. Still a little strange though!
Heh, at least Kazakhstan does have a sizable Russian minority.  I suppose that's a step up on some of the other guesses in Asia.  I mean, Pakistan and Nepal?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: April 07, 2014, 10:37:20 pm »

Heh, at least Kazakhstan does have a sizable Russian minority.  I suppose that's a step up on some of the other guesses in Asia.  I mean, Pakistan and Nepal?
Australia!
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: April 07, 2014, 10:59:49 pm »

Ukraine is in Kansas morons, get your facts straight.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: April 07, 2014, 11:04:29 pm »

Let it never be said that the average american knows or gives a damn about the geography of anywhere outside the united states. Honestly, it's less important to folks who have an area roughly the size of some continents (*cougheuropecough*) where they know they can go pretty much anywhere in and largely have little to no difficulty settling in. Who cares where Ohio actually is if driving into it and living there isn't really all that different from living anywhere else (in the places you care to go for any extended period, heh.)?

I guess if you wanted to actually reach that place specifically it would be an issue (Ha, google maps says otherwise~), but being able to just randomly drive for several hundred miles, stop, get out, buy property and kick back for the next decade without worry about silly things like language or major cultural shifts or being in another country just... devalues the importance of geography, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: April 08, 2014, 08:26:29 am »

I'm more concerned abut the 14 people who clicked out in random areas of open water. What, do they think Ukraine is the Merfolk Kingdom?  ???

@frumple: The "Americans suck at geography because America is so damn big" argument only goes so far with me. That said, American parochialism can be jaw-dropping even in this day and age. I used to work with a guy (in the IT field, no less) who had never left North Carolina, had only ever lived in one county (Johnston), and only ever traveled to five other counties out of 100 (Wake, where we worked; and four other counties that formed a corridor to the beach). Dude was in his late 20s.

There are a not insignificant number of Americans who still, in this day and age, never really travel more than 20-30 miles from home. I can understand this to some extent with older generations. My grandfather had been to Brazil and Senegal during the war, and considering he picked up malaria and sleeping sickness while there, he really didn't have a desire to travel abroad again. But he was an avid traveler inside the US, and a truck driver by trade. So the man knew US geography pretty damn well. (It was a running joke that every time I visited, the conversation would invariably lead to us pulling out a road atlas to answer a debate over the best route to get from point A to point B.)

But he probably couldn't find Ukraine on a map, nor would he find it important. He would likely say that we should stay out of other countries' business and leave it at that. There's definitely a strong streak of isolationism that still informs many's attitudes about learning about the rest of the world.

There's also a streak of well-intentioned but horribly uninformed liberalism in the country too. I wonder how many people who got swept up in the whole Kony 2012 thing could find Uganda on a map? I couldn't help but notice that self-identified Democrats actually scored slightly worse than Republicans on this.

Perhaps we should have a law that war/armed intervention in another country should be by popular referendum, and voters have to also choose the country on a map digitally in the voting booth, with no cheat sheets.

Of course, then we'd wind up bombing Canada the next time Kim Jong Un does something....
"Well, it's NORTH Korea....and this country is north of the US....I think that's the US, right? And north is up? Man, politics is hard."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: April 08, 2014, 08:33:31 am »

I'm more concerned abut the 14 people who clicked out in random areas of open water. What, do they think Ukraine is the Merfolk Kingdom?  ???

More like they weren't giving any answer at all.

If I took a test about who people thought was going to win the next superbowl, and a large number of people answered the New York Yankees, would you conclude that they were ignorant?  Well maybe a couple of them.  But it seems more likely that trolling of the test or hostility towards the test administrator was to blame.  Maybe they have never heard of the superbowl or the New York Yankees but have no answer for that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: April 08, 2014, 08:58:04 pm »

More like they weren't giving any answer at all.

If I took a test about who people thought was going to win the next superbowl, and a large number of people answered the New York Yankees, would you conclude that they were ignorant?  Well maybe a couple of them.  But it seems more likely that trolling of the test or hostility towards the test administrator was to blame.  Maybe they have never heard of the superbowl or the New York Yankees but have no answer for that.

I don't quite get what you're saying there. Do the yankees not play the sport that plays in the super bowl?

Relevant to the rest of your post: I'd guess that most of the people who guess somewhere near Russia are serious and most of the people who guess a significant distance away from Russia and Ukraine either are not serious or have no idea.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: April 08, 2014, 09:08:04 pm »

Quick google tells me Yankees are a baseball team, and IIRC Superbowl is American Rugby.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: April 08, 2014, 09:11:52 pm »

I don't quite get what you're saying there. Do the yankees not play the sport that plays in the super bowl?

Yankees are a baseball team famous for massively outspending their opponents (although the dodgers are challenging this suddenly?) and thus winning a lot.

Superbowl is football.  And I mean the real football, you decadent non-american.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: April 08, 2014, 09:15:40 pm »

Quick google tells me Yankees are a baseball team, and IIRC Superbowl is American Rugby.
Canada has football, man.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: April 08, 2014, 09:27:01 pm »

Canada has football, man.
And America has football too, but no one pays any attention to it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: April 08, 2014, 09:31:48 pm »

Pretty sure Yankees is a hat brand.

Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 667